: Found a 1990 FWB

82CDV
12-06-09, 03:27 PM
I have come across a 1990 FWB D’Elegance with 75K and the 5.7. Gold package.

Tires are average, wire hubcaps, some repaint, body passes the magnet test.

I notice a slightly sagging headliner, antenna mast does not come up, dash wood trim on drivers side cloudy, slit in armrest, some seat scuffing, one small tear on edge of vertical portion of drivers seat.

Body is straight, no rust on car or trunk. Color is Antelope with a like new dark brown top (Wonder if that is original).

Seats, windows, etc all work.

Car is in MD asking $4,300.

What do you think it is worth? What do you think it would cost to get right other than paint?

Anyone know a good shop near Annapolis for a PPI?

I have a flight back to FL on Tuesday but I would cancel that and drive it back.

Thanks.

jayoldschool
12-06-09, 03:41 PM
It's worth whatever someone will pay for it. For me, I wouldn't give over 4k for a car with all that you listed. That, and I hate beige/brown/gold. That's just me, of course...

sven914
12-06-09, 04:26 PM
The car needs some work, and they're asking the price for one in excellent condition. To get it perfect you can get the parts from a junkyard and install them yourself, and the tears in the seat and arm rest can be fixed with a cheap leather repair kit. The 5.7 engine is coveted by Cadillac enthusiasts, as well as is the Gold Emblem and the d'Elegance packages. I would try to talk the seller down to around 3,000, but expect to pay 4,000.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-06-09, 06:39 PM
$4300 is high, try for $3300 or atleast $3500.

77CDV
12-06-09, 08:28 PM
3500 is all the money for that car in that condition. I wouldn't go more than 3200 myself, and then only if I just had to have it.

82CDV
12-06-09, 09:16 PM
Auto Check shows an accident July 2008. We think now that the only original paint is forward of the fron doore. That area is duller thhan the rest of the car and the top is new.

He is vague about the accident and the paint. I think he bought the car from the original owner and is trying to flip it. The Auto Check shows one owner but he might have a signed title.

He seems to be stuck at 4K and is sitting in front of his house with a sign but no advertising.

Not sure if I still want it with the vague history and certainly don't want it for 4K. I offered 2.5K so will wait and see what happens. My buddy drives by it twice a day so will keep an eye on it.

jayoldschool
12-06-09, 09:32 PM
Forget it. Lots of other ones out there to choose from in your price range that will be in better condition.

My_favorite_Brougham
12-06-09, 09:40 PM
A dealer doesn't have to get a title assigned to them. They just put their dealer number on it and pass it on to the new owner, and the title gets transfered straight from the original owner to you. Hence, why Auto Check wouldn't show it.

As for me, I'd pass. Or wait about 6 months when he halves the price. I like to pay what a car is worth, not what the car is worth plus whatever the dealer is trying to get from it.

I was looking at this recently, from the original owner himself. 5.7, d'Elegance, and all-around perfect. Not bad on the price either, could be had for a grand less.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/1479632972.html

-Greg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-06-09, 11:17 PM
Auto Check shows an accident July 2008. We think now that the only original paint is forward of the fron doore. That area is duller thhan the rest of the car and the top is new.

He is vague about the accident and the paint. I think he bought the car from the original owner and is trying to flip it. The Auto Check shows one owner but he might have a signed title.

He seems to be stuck at 4K and is sitting in front of his house with a sign but no advertising.

Not sure if I still want it with the vague history and certainly don't want it for 4K. I offered 2.5K so will wait and see what happens. My buddy drives by it twice a day so will keep an eye on it.

Walk away my friend. This thing has a dirtied history, a shady owner and he won't budge on the overinflated price. If you can get it for $2500, then cool, otherwise don't fret it.

77CDV
12-06-09, 11:23 PM
Not good juju when the seller won't give straight answers about major body work and past accidents. Time to walk.

csbuckn
12-07-09, 12:34 AM
A new top with a sagging headliner may be a cover up for water damage on the roof. Hopefully it was fixed with the new top if there was a problem

Aron9000
12-07-09, 12:50 AM
A new top with a sagging headliner may be a cover up for water damage on the roof. Hopefully it was fixed with the new top if there was a problem

Eh, they all start to sag after about 15 years no matter how well kept the car is.

Aron9000
12-07-09, 12:51 AM

Eh, they all start to sag after about 15 years no matter how well kept the car is.

Anyways, I'd run away from that car if its been in a wreck and the owner isn't being honest with you.

csbuckn
12-07-09, 12:54 AM
But wait, I have something better...a note...from the previous owner. "This car runs great, I promise"

AElayyat
12-07-09, 01:10 PM
It all depends on what you are willing to pay for the car. In my opinion no
More than 2K.
Good luck

brougham
12-07-09, 08:33 PM
If its the light colour I hate the way that looks with brown roof. That alone would stop me from getting it. But if it runs good and it is in good condition the rest is must minor stuff. If it was in an accident and you think that much of it was repainted because of it it would make me wonder how bad the accident really was. But if it was repainted for some other reason and it was recent Id wonder what they are trying to hide and how long before it pops up. If its been that way for a while its probably safe. I wouln't pay that much for it without getting someone to look at it.

SCU187
12-11-09, 05:15 PM
Save your money.....Color combo is not desirable....don't get hooked on the hypnotic D Elegance and gold package.