: curse those engine covers...

Ross L
12-06-09, 03:16 PM
I personally don't like "covers". I'm anti cover on everything I own. I think the engine should be seen and heard. Soooo, I quietly remove all four covers on the engine and marvel at the beast. Now the problem.... My wife gets back from work and say's "did you take all the covers off the motor? It's making more noise and I can hear the blower a lot more than before" "please put them back on"...... Dang It! Oh well, it's her car. Anyone else prefer "coverless"
Ross

dvandentop
12-06-09, 03:18 PM
nice so you can hear the blower even better when driving when they are off? yeah i would be keeping em off then :)

Ross L
12-06-09, 03:24 PM
yes, but I also removed the weatherstrip on the rear edge of the hood which lets more sound in. The upper manifold is "noticably cooler" to the touch after driving(tried it back to back).
Ross

asabase
12-06-09, 04:03 PM
Just be happy your wife is cool enough to know what a blower is and sounds like and on top of that can figure out why it sounds louder.

GMX322V S/C
12-06-09, 05:03 PM
Coverless here too, for less retained heat, but this, along with the airbox mod, allows a nice whine to be heard out the front. Sounds nice as the dealer service valet brings it around.

chopmeat
12-06-09, 05:42 PM
Oh I couldn't agree MORE!!
The covers are GAY!!!!
What am I a little old lady that doesn't need to see the big bad engine???
Let me see the BADASS LSA DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!! :lildevil:
I take 'em OFF BABY!
lol

Gary Wells
12-06-09, 06:24 PM
This thread is totally worthless without pics. Chopmeat: how about some pics of your nude with 'tude *motor*? I'm afraid to undress mine in public. In fact, I'm afraid to undress mine at all.

Ross L
12-06-09, 07:00 PM
they look so much better coverless. Plus it only takes maybe 10 seconds to yank em all off. I think I'll remove a little at a time and let the wife get *used* to the new sounds until I finally have them all off..... again.:D
Ross

mpouls1
12-06-09, 08:19 PM
Took mine off after I got it home the first night. I move pretty fast with my women. I was going for a profile shot at the time but you can see some of the motor. If anything I just like to look at pics of my car :)

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo238/mpoulsen25/011.jpg

Ross L
12-06-09, 08:40 PM
Now thats what I'm talking about!

dvandentop
12-06-09, 09:20 PM
sweet pic looks way cooler

c4ss
12-07-09, 01:28 AM
Louder blower whine FTW.

Ross L
12-07-09, 06:51 PM
That pic was the final straw. Plan: when she gets home from work I need to change the oil, which gives me an excuse to open the hood(opening hood without a *reason*, which I do almost daily, builds suspicion). Now, change the oil but leave the covers off. Put weather strip back on rear edge of hood for a week to muffle the new sounds a little. In one week remove weather strip again. Next, call wait4me for a programmer and intake kit to "improve the gas mileage". Any flaws to this plan?
Ross

dvandentop
12-07-09, 06:53 PM
LOL Ross it is all downhill after you start for sure :D

GM-4-LIFE
12-07-09, 07:10 PM
I tore off the engine cover the day I got the car. Cadillac always has to have something that they think looks good, but under the hood where nobody ever looks?

SG

Gary Wells
12-07-09, 08:53 PM
That pic was the final straw. Plan: when she gets home from work I need to change the oil, which gives me an excuse to open the hood(opening hood without a *reason*, which I do almost daily, builds suspicion). Now, change the oil but leave the covers off. Put weather strip back on rear edge of hood for a week to muffle the new sounds a little. In one week remove weather strip again. Next, call wait4me for a programmer and intake kit to "improve the gas mileage". Any flaws to this plan?
Ross
Sure, Ross, you're just like the people on TV that sell hot dogs, they also have to answer to a higher source.

J/K, Ross, couldn't resist

cbloveday
12-07-09, 10:22 PM
Does anyone have a closer pic of the engine bay without the plastic?

mpouls1
12-08-09, 11:30 AM
Count me out it's snowing outside.

Hmm, maybe time to test out the sotto's though...

cbloveday
12-08-09, 12:55 PM
Count me out it's snowing outside.

Hmm, maybe time to test out the sotto's though...

I love my sottos. So far so good