: push button start and starter keeps spinning after brake release

johnb21
12-06-09, 11:56 AM
has anyone experienced this? What happens is the starter will keep turning ever after i release my foot from the brake. The car will not fire, like there is a bad sensor and the starter is not communicating with the iginition system.
So embarassing, as people look at you in the parking lot, like you are turning the key while the car is running (except it has not turned over.)
Thanks for the feedback....hard to describe.:banghead:
Strange...

CIWS
12-06-09, 08:11 PM
I have not experienced that issue.

LITTLEELVISDAN
12-06-09, 08:53 PM
Havent heard that one before.

leija_01
12-06-09, 10:52 PM
I have not experienced that issue.

Havent heard that one before.

This.

ewill3rd
12-07-09, 08:36 AM
Once you press the start button the computer cranks the engine until either the engine starts or a 30 second timer expires.
To disengage your start attempt press the off switch on the ignition rocker.
The computer looks for an input from the brake pedal but it is not required to continue cranking, nor is the input on the ignition rocker switch, a simultaneous momentary press of each should be all you need.

That being said, the engine should not crank for that long, if it does you have something wrong that needs to be diagnosed.
Does it start at all? You could be losing fuel pressure or have a sensor glitch.

johnb21
12-07-09, 02:01 PM
I tend to think it is a sensor glitch, since this only happens on occasion and the care typically fires right up with no delay or hickup.

When you are panicing on how to get the starter to shut down it seems counter intuitive to press both the brake and the start button, but I try to stay calm and give it a go the next time it happens.

Do you think the event could throw a code allowing a tech to identify the problem?

It has happened probably about 4x over the course of 4 months.

Thanks All!

ewill3rd
12-07-09, 09:19 PM
Hard to say if a code would set.
It is unusual that is is random.

You can push the off switch without putting your foot back on the brake and it should stop cranking... just think "off".
It only looks for brake input to begin cranking.