: Misfire on cylinder 6

donky4444
12-06-09, 12:23 PM
Hello I am new here and I have am having a problem with my car. I have a 2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP with the Northstar 4.6 V8 in it. It is misfiring and I had it scanned. The code it is giving says misfire on cylinder 6. Can anybody give me some insight on this issue and also which cylinder is 6? I am guessing that the coil pack has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Any help would be great.

Thank you.

Submariner409
12-06-09, 02:52 PM
The front bank is 2,4,6,8, left to right. If you pull the coil cassette you may find a bit of oil in the plug wells. Normal - the wells are sealed by cam cover O-rings and they tend to weep. BUT, check all the plug boots for carbon tracks - if a boot or plug is tracked there will be a black stripe down the side of the plug. Y ou must replace the boot(s) in this case.

www.rockauto.com, your car/year, Ignition, coil cassettes, ICM, wires/boots (some of the later listings put the boots under "wires", an incorrect file.)

Ranger
12-06-09, 03:18 PM
If you find it carbon tracked, be sure to replace the plug as well or it will still misfire and carbon track the new boot.