: USB Hard Drive that Works!

thehapps
12-05-09, 06:09 PM
Just thought I'd share that I've finally found a portable hard drive that works in the USB port in the center console that is a high capacity drive (not a flash drive). Its the Samsung S2 portable 500 gigabyte drive. Very small, fits perfectly, and can carry massive amounts of high quality MP3 music (far more than the internal hard drive). I've tried several brands (western digital, hitachi, seagate) and none of the others have worked. Finally tried this samsung and it is recognized by the pop up nav screen! No need for power source - its powered by the USB drive.

mik2718
12-05-09, 07:53 PM
500GB of music? That's enough for a very l-o-n-g road trip!

Z06ified
12-05-09, 08:05 PM
Cool - thanks for the info :thumbsup:

How much is it?

thebigjimsho
12-05-09, 08:12 PM
How hard is it to access the music menus??

thehapps
12-06-09, 09:57 AM
I picked up the 500 gig version for about $95. There is a 250 gig version for $74, and a 320 gig for $84 (at microcenter, but you should be able to find them online for similar prices.... try newegg.com).

I tested this morning with just a few songs on it, and it works great. I'm now converting my library on my PC (which I keep in Apple Lossless format) into 320kps MP3 format to load onto the hard drive. Once I do that, I will report back as to the speed to load the info on to the nav screen (with the 8 gig flash drive, this took a minute or two at first, but then didn't need to reload after that until I disconnected it). I'm hoping to load this thing up with high quality MP3s, plug it in once, and leave it there with all my music.

thehapps
12-06-09, 09:59 AM
once you plug it in, the music menus is the exact same as the one used for music on the cars internal hard drive. Very good menu, very easy to access the music.

jwa999
12-07-09, 11:17 AM
I was able to get a WD 320G HD to work:

1) The harddrive would randomly stop due to car movement (brake at stoplight).
2) It takes forever for the car to index the drive the first time. Everytime you unplug/replug it, it goes indexing again.
3) It cannot index more than around 3500 songs.

Now I use a 32Gig flash drive. It still won't index everything. The screen updates very slow when it generates lists of albums/folders/artists.
I suggest 16Gb max.

Hans.

GM-4-LIFE
12-07-09, 07:03 PM
I gotta get one of these!

SG

Dukeofbluz
03-06-11, 11:59 AM
I bought one on ebay and it works fine, so far I have 22GB 4800 songs on mine.

It does take 4 minutes to load after starting the car but otherwise its perfect.

Duke

Dukeofbluz
03-06-11, 06:58 PM
update, sometimes when I start the car it goes back to the beginning, instead of returning to the song that was playing when shut off.

Razorecko
03-06-11, 07:02 PM
I was able to get a WD 320G HD to work:

1) The harddrive would randomly stop due to car movement (brake at stoplight).
2) It takes forever for the car to index the drive the first time. Everytime you unplug/replug it, it goes indexing again.
3) It cannot index more than around 3500 songs.

Now I use a 32Gig flash drive. It still won't index everything. The screen updates very slow when it generates lists of albums/folders/artists.
I suggest 16Gb max.

Hans.

hmmm. Did you update your nav software ? My index on the 32gb takes about 3-5 min to update at first plug in. After thats its instant access

Dukeofbluz
03-06-11, 08:49 PM
Went out to eat tonight, in the restaurant for at least a hour and when I came back it started where I had left off. Going on a 6 hour road trip tomorrow, its going to be nice to have.

baabootoo
03-06-11, 11:18 PM
Did I miss why again?????? :)

Dukeofbluz
03-09-11, 08:49 PM
Did you miss why again? huh?

How do I go about updating the software?

just got home from St. Louis, 6 hours there, 6 back, seemed random as to whether the external hard drive had to load or not, sometimes it took off where it left off, sometimes I had to wait for it to load and it started at the 1st song.

Thanks, Duke

x2forme
11-03-12, 07:35 AM
I just bought the samsung s2 and it is not being recognized by my 2011 cts. Did you have to format the hard drive a particular way before using?

Karch
11-03-12, 02:32 PM
Not to change course, but I prefer to buy external drive enclosures and put my choice of drive in.

I was buying Samsung F3 1TB drives for about $50, but that's before the price hike due to flooding in Thailand disrupted the supply.

These drives are very fast. Not that you need that for music, but just the same, it's a great drive.

muohio
11-04-12, 05:46 PM
Do any of these solutions allow you to browse by artist then album underneath? It seems that the iPod integration lets you do either album or artist separate but that's a pain.