: Just Purchased The Ultimate Firewall

Ralph
08-06-04, 09:31 PM
My computer was being repaired for spyware and I just got it back. I ran many programs and nothing would get rid of the "search 2000" tool bar. (I thought it was Alexa!) After almost spending around $200 on spyware repair in the past, I've had it! I purchased the latest in firewall protection called "Alpha Shield." A Canadian company produced it very recently and it is an external firewall that incorporates artificial intelligence (AI) so that it actually learns all the different viruses, trojans, worms, and spyware and pop-ups out there and doesn't allow them in. Therefore it never needs upgrading and it is no bigger than a caller ID machine. It also prevents hackers by making your computer invisable, and does not require any upgrades or dowlloads. It blocks all 65,536 ports and is set up in less than a minute!! It has three lights on it and you can see it flashing red if there is a malicious site you are on. Im impressed, I hope it works. Cost=$150 Cdn, but I got it for $50 dollars off. What do you guys use for protection, and don't say condoms. :p

www.alphashield.com

illumina
08-06-04, 09:38 PM
sounds pretty cool there. i have norton firewall, and AV, all kinds of spy-scumware blocking tools and so forth. it also helps that i sometimes d-load viruses on one of my other pc's to see if i can kill them manually. that way, i have a heads up on things. or so i would like to think.
oh, BTW, "search 2000" sounds like the infamous cool-web-search trojan. very diffucult to deal with indeed.

Ralph
08-06-04, 09:49 PM
sounds pretty cool there. i have norton firewall, and AV, all kinds of spy-scumware blocking tools and so forth. it also helps that i sometimes d-load viruses on one of my other pc's to see if i can kill them manually. that way, i have a heads up on things. or so i would like to think.
oh, BTW, "search 2000" sounds like the infamous cool-web-search trojan. very diffucult to deal with indeed.

Yup. My computer guy said that the search 2000 is made by a company called "LOOP." The only way to kill it was take appart the computer. Sounds like you're prepared for anything and loaded for bear. The only drawback I can see is if you happen to download something bad, then it defeats Alpha, and therefore you need the latest Norton or ? to delete or quarentene it. He also upgraded my Norton to the 2003 edition, but I'll probably never need it because I don't do any downloading. (unless Natasha pics count?)

illumina
08-06-04, 09:57 PM
Yup. My computer guy said that the search 2000 is made by a company called "LOOP." The only way to kill it was take appart the computer. Sounds like you're prepared for anything and loaded for bear. The only drawback I can see is if you happen to download something bad, then it defeats Alpha, and therefore you need the latest Norton or ? to delete or quarentene it. He also upgraded my Norton to the 2003 edition, but I'll probably never need it because I don't do any downloading. (unless Natasha pics count?)

yeah, these damn spy trojans can be very
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: !!! these scumware writers are getting better by the moment. the good thing about what i do, is that i use a windows 98 pc for the viruses. my other pc's are an win.xp, 2 win 2000's, linux mandrake 8.2, and one soon to be a linux mandrake 10.0. the 98 is expendable for the aforementioned purposes. and if i fail, i turn the norton back on and run that, and if that does not work, i simply wipe the hard drive and start all over. good thing i have nothing important on there huh?

Ralph
08-06-04, 10:03 PM
i use a windows 98 pc for the viruses.

That's my computer (and only one) you're talking about! ;) I have a mighty 166 mhz, but it's still fast for the net because this computer isn't bogged down with a bunch of crap, etc. I don't do any downloading so it stays fast. In a month or so I will probably buy a new computer because someone we know wants this one.

All the testing you do seems time consuming to me.

illumina
08-06-04, 10:09 PM
All the testing you do seems time consuming to me.

yeah, it can be, that is why i do it sometimes and not all the time. to wipe a hard drive and re-install win. 98 takes about an hour or a liitle longer. finding and killing a virus takes oh sooooooo much longer.

BTW, win 98 is a fine OS. just avoid windows millenium when you get your new rig. i personally prefer win. 2000. however, if you're getting a brand new pc, im sure it will come with xp. just make sure you have AT LEAST 256 mb of ram. xp is a dog on anything less.

Vesicant
08-07-04, 12:04 AM
This is my "protection programme" lol...

1st: Ad Aware - Full, Deep File System scan every few weeks.

2nd: A program called Window Washer, use to be 10 bucks.. now 30.. does wonders, clears everything and overwrites files up to 10 times making them un-useable if they were ever found. Speeds up your system at the same time by clearing garbage stores.

3rd: Norton Anti-Virus 2002 (should get the latest one sometime) Auto Protect enabled.. saved my arse a few times, it actively scans everything, including what files are being transferred (Websites) when you cruise the net.

4th: Back up all my personal files and favorites constantly on a seperate HDD. If the worst should ever happen where windows is seriously damaged. Format and start clean again.

5th: MSN Toolbar Popup blocker. Its simple, stays out of the way- It works. Disable the blog history, to stop it from recording what sites you go to.

6th: Keeping Windows (XP in my case) up to date, key thing here is to download EVERYTHING, even if you think you dont need it.

I work on PC's...its common to use one or more of these items for their system to be back into shape. Gator, Alexa, Browser hi-jacks (forced favorites, different homepage etc.) Toolbars, Popup trojans... it goes on and on. Sad thing is, some install behind your back even if your prepared. Although if you get things like what Ralph just got.. it can make life a lot easier. "The battle, between good and evil software" Lol.

illumina
08-07-04, 12:42 AM
all of that or you could run a linux system. linux is almost immune from virusus. but there is NO compatibility for games and other common software for the most part (will change in the future). but for the most part, windows 2000 and xp are fine operating systems for most people. i just happen to use linux for one of my many pc's.

Ralph
08-07-04, 05:35 AM
This is my "protection programme" lol...

1st: Ad Aware - Full, Deep File System scan every few weeks.

2nd: A program called Window Washer, use to be 10 bucks.. now 30.. does wonders, clears everything and overwrites files up to 10 times making them un-useable if they were ever found. Speeds up your system at the same time by clearing garbage stores.

3rd: Norton Anti-Virus 2002 (should get the latest one sometime) Auto Protect enabled.. saved my arse a few times, it actively scans everything, including what files are being transferred (Websites) when you cruise the net.

4th: Back up all my personal files and favorites constantly on a seperate HDD. If the worst should ever happen where windows is seriously damaged. Format and start clean again.

5th: MSN Toolbar Popup blocker. Its simple, stays out of the way- It works. Disable the blog history, to stop it from recording what sites you go to.

6th: Keeping Windows (XP in my case) up to date, key thing here is to download EVERYTHING, even if you think you dont need it.

I work on PC's...its common to use one or more of these items for their system to be back into shape. Gator, Alexa, Browser hi-jacks (forced favorites, different homepage etc.) Toolbars, Popup trojans... it goes on and on. Sad thing is, some install behind your back even if your prepared. Although if you get things like what Ralph just got.. it can make life a lot easier. "The battle, between good and evil software" Lol.

Things like Adaware and Norton anti-virus, are these really considered "protection." ;) It seems that these are needed when we already have something on our pc's. They are necessary for elimination, so in that regard they protect from future damage to files, etc.

I didn't have good luck with msn's toolbar. It let in some pop-ups. I have much better luck with Google's and it works great, but the thing to remember is that when you go through it for a search, everything is supposedly recorded in their files so they know what you look at.

It's crazy how greater and more sophisticated technology is necessary to fight "bad" technology that can leave our pc's inoperable. :madtalkin

I hope that what I purchased is better and cheaper than upgrading things like Norton every year.

Ralph
08-07-04, 05:39 AM
all of that or you could run a linux system. linux is almost immune from virusus. but there is NO compatibility for games and other common software for the most part (will change in the future). but for the most part, windows 2000 and xp are fine operating systems for most people. i just happen to use linux for one of my many pc's.

Did you simply download your Linux from the net? I don't worry about gamming, I have a ps2 for that.

ljklaiber
08-07-04, 10:22 AM
Just wanted to say, that for geezers like me, reading the savvy on computers from young members of the Forum , sure helps me alot. Thanks for the info :coolgleam

johnny133
08-07-04, 01:27 PM
Did you simply download your Linux from the net? I don't worry about gamming, I have a ps2 for that.

There is a version of Linux that can be downloaded as a disk image and run from the CD drive without doing the full install. That way you can try it out without changing anything on your system.

http://www.gnoppix.org/

If you like it and want to use Linux, you might want to check out other versions when you do a full install. This is a way to play with Linux with no commitment.

Ralph
08-07-04, 02:03 PM
Just wanted to say, that for geezers like me, reading the savvy on computers from young members of the Forum , sure helps me alot. Thanks for the info :coolgleam

A year ago the only "firewall" I knew about is what seperated your engine from the cabin. ;)

Johnny, thanks for the site, however, since I spent so much on this old set-up, and I know it, I'll stick to it for now. I don't even want to see the new XP Windows setup or the new Photoshoppe because I'm so used to '98!

Here is something from the back of the owner's manual for Alpha Shield I found interesting and may provide some knowledge to some:

"Alpha Shield will show your IP address to the resource that you visit. This is how IP/ TCP protocol works. You have no way to hide it, and it is ok. IP address is like a phone number. Everyone needs one to contact the other person, or to get a phone call to somebody. Your IP address is not a credit card number, and is not something you have to hide at all times. When protected by AlphaShield, your computer will never be detected by any scanning tools and thus would not reply to PING requests. If it cannot be found on the internet, then it cannot be a target! Even if you visit a server and an attacker gets a hold of your IP address, your Alpha Shield will not reply to any request. Your computer is essentially invisable."

http://www.oncomp.com/jun02-2.htm

BUILDINGCTSAMG
08-07-04, 11:32 PM
I use panda antivirus, a program that used to be called my ie 2, now something like mathix (its an incredible web browser, dload it on cnet by searching myie2), and adaware, its usually pretty good

Spock
08-08-04, 05:23 AM
And I bet you bought AlphaShield at London Drugs...:P We were the first retail carriers!

Sadly Alphashield is only as smart as the person using it. Great against hackers and trojans, but as you mentioned Ralph if you visit a website with malaware, then it will get you.

If you want THE BEST spyware removal it's SpySweeper. www.webroot.com you're able to download a 30 day trial. Adaware and Spybot are good for FREE removal tools. Once you get a paid, supported product it's hard to lose.

For you hackers, the first person who successfully hacks Alphashield gets 1 million dollars. It still has not been hacked. w00t go Canada!

Ralph
08-08-04, 02:32 PM
And I bet you bought AlphaShield at London Drugs...:P We were the first retail carriers!

Sadly Alphashield is only as smart as the person using it. Great against hackers and trojans, but as you mentioned Ralph if you visit a website with malaware, then it will get you.

If you want THE BEST spyware removal it's SpySweeper. www.webroot.com you're able to download a 30 day trial. Adaware and Spybot are good for FREE removal tools. Once you get a paid, supported product it's hard to lose.

For you hackers, the first person who successfully hacks Alphashield gets 1 million dollars. It still has not been hacked. w00t go Canada!

Correct, London Drugs, it could have been Future Shop but then I wouldn't have saved 50 loonies. ;)

My main concern was spyware, when I found out about the virus protection, that was a bonus. This thing learns because of the AI. It is supposed to evolve with the malicious stuff on the net and never need upgrading. I know technology evolves too fast, but hopefully I can get a couple of good years of protection with it before it might become obsolete.

There was a rumour on the net about someone in Spain possibly getting through it, but I doubt that, Canucks are smarter. :D

DaveSmed
08-08-04, 10:27 PM

I agree, usually use a Mandrake 9.1 machine myself, before it decided it needed new cooling fans rather apbrubtly. The Will change in the future part includes the virus part as well, more support goes both was unfortunately. Luckily, due to the design, its a little harder for them to cause damage.

illumina
08-08-04, 11:31 PM
true. although linux is semi-immune from virusus, more popularity means more black-hat coders to find the kinks in the system. but it will be diffucult. for instance, a lot of servers opt to run a unix based system rather than those of microsofts. the reason being is it is very hard to bust down on a unix system, say for a denial of service attack or whatever. as microsoft (ntfs/dos or whatever) being more popular, can be broken more easily because of that many more users to those particular systems. point being, unix is a safer alternative compared to other systems.