: CTS vs. CTS-V Front Grill

Tony407
12-05-09, 02:14 AM
I've been wanting to ask this before but never got around to it. Am I the only one that prefers the front grill on the CTS vs. what we have on the V? I was and still am a huge fan of the front of the CTS and I was a little disappointed when they changed it for the V. Especially the white diamond CTS. Looks perfect for the car. I always thought the V grill wasn't as aggressive. Not that I don't like it, but I would have preferred GM left it unchanged for the V.

Tony

sikohsix
12-05-09, 03:08 AM
Damn, yr close to my thoughts. I always felt that I liked the standard grill just a bit better, and considered a swap. I mean, I'd actually prefer a mesh grill w/out the vertical slats of the standard CTS, and the same lower grill as the standard. The other part is that the V has a bigger lower grill, to facilitate cooling I'm sure. Do the grills swap on these joints?

MGGuy
12-05-09, 03:22 AM
Sorry, for me there is nothing better than the front of my V.

dqw1
12-05-09, 05:10 AM
I think the mesh grill looks way better. The CTS style wouldn't look right on the lower grill on the V.

cts-v2009
12-05-09, 05:28 AM
cts-v is way better in my mind

RWFJR
12-05-09, 08:22 AM
V grill for me. No right or wrong. Just personal taste.

neuronbob
12-05-09, 09:11 AM
I like both of them. The V grille is more aggressive, the standard CTS is classy. I like the V's enough that I have no plans to change it out. Either is far better than the new Acura "beak" (speaking as a former Acura owner). Ewww.

mik2718
12-05-09, 09:16 AM
Another vote for the V grill, although I'd prefer finer "wire" for the mesh. The regular CTS grill looks ... ordinary ... to me.

CIWS
12-05-09, 09:35 AM
V grill all the way. Be proud of the fact you stand out and are not subject to posers like with the V1.

dqw1
12-05-09, 09:39 AM
I don't whats worse, the Mazda "Grin" or the Acura beak. I seen one of new model CTS on the road last week with a mesh upper grill and it did look pretty good but I don't think it could be confused with the V.

ecorpuz12
12-05-09, 10:12 AM
i like the V grill much better as well...the mesh coupled with the hood bulge screams "get of my way fool!!!!" when seen in the rearview mirror. i wish the mesh was actually stainless steel like the mesh on my previously owned SRX with lux sport pkge instead of shiny plastic . don't get me started on the new mazda grin or acura's overdone metallic schnoz...makes me cringe every time i see one.

aburd
12-05-09, 10:22 AM
Unbelieveable

CDV
12-05-09, 10:28 AM
V grill is one of my favorite features of the look of the car - I think it looks more aggressive than the regular grill (which looks a little too big and cartoonish for my tastes).

lavaman
12-05-09, 11:11 AM
I don't whats worse, the Mazda "Grin" or the Acura beak. I seen one of new model CTS on the road last week with a mesh upper grill and it did look pretty good but I don't think it could be confused with the V.

When you say "Grin" I think of some of Lincoln's cars.... some of their grills remind me "Chester Cheeta" on the bags of Cheeto's.

For my taste the V2 mesh grill is just right. The only change I might make is to have it black chromed.

neuronbob
12-05-09, 11:20 AM
Speaking of black chroming the grille, has anyone done that to a silver V yet? I think the look has some potential and I'm thinking of my next potential mods. I'm thinking of going with gunmetal ADV 7.1 wheels and black chroming the grille.

zr1vet
12-05-09, 04:42 PM
V2 grill all the way! I've had several people tell me it looks awesome as they watch it in their mirrors before it rapidly overtakes them while cruising the interstate;)

thebigjimsho
12-05-09, 09:02 PM
Speaking of black chroming the grille, has anyone done that to a silver V yet? I think the look has some potential and I'm thinking of my next potential mods. I'm thinking of going with gunmetal ADV 7.1 wheels and black chroming the grille.
I will say this, the gap in how much to how little I liked the V grill to the regular CTS grill has shrunk drastically with the 2nd gen. To me, the V grill on the V1 destroyed the stock grill in every way.

The 2nd gen CTS looks much, much better, especially in the grill. But no matter what, I still love the mesh and space of the V2 grill.

I'll also say, as much as the V1 needed blacked out mesh because of the dearth of anything else shiny on the car, the V2 doesn't need it so much. With all the chrome in the headlights and the amount of chrome trim adorning the car, the stock mesh looks much more at home.

Although, D3's blacked out mesh still looks great with the chrome surround...

Z06ified
12-05-09, 09:08 PM
I'm with the original poster: I actually prefer the look of the base CTS' grille. I don't hate the V's grille, I just don't like it as much.

thebigjimsho
12-05-09, 09:13 PM
crazy talk...

V-Eight
12-05-09, 10:27 PM
Yes, the V front end is the only way to go

Tony407
12-05-09, 11:15 PM
I sure appreciate everyone's comments.

It's not that I don't like the V grill, but one of the reasons the 2008 CTS got my attention was the huge, fat, substantial front end. I think the V took a step backwards in that department, while of course making up for it in others.

Like some others have suggested in this and other threads, it might be in my best interests to have the grill blackened out. Then again, there's nothing inherently wrong with the way it is. I'm just sayin'.

Tony

V-Eight
12-06-09, 12:27 AM
I like the regular CTS, but I think the slimmed down front end of the V makes it look more lean. (Think sumo wrestler vs Arnold Schwarzenegger)

allklr
12-06-09, 04:29 AM
I like mine much better with the grill and trim blacked out. There is a body kit out for the CTS with quad exhaust, I think that would have looked great n the v.

zyx5432
12-06-09, 11:06 AM
I like the V grill better, but hey, everyone has their own tastes!

chopmeat
12-06-09, 06:47 PM
Some of you guys are nuts!
You want to put a regular CTS grill in this awesome car and then take the V badges off too??
AAAAAHHHhhh!!
The car has a presence.
When people see that V badge and front grills they know it's the one with "that" engine!!!!!

chopmeat
12-06-09, 06:47 PM
:thepan::thepan::thepan::thepan::thepan:

V-Eight
12-06-09, 06:49 PM
S
When people see that V badge and front grills they know it's the one with "that" engine!!!!!

Most people don't know that, which makes it even sweeter.

zero26039
12-06-09, 07:33 PM
Was this a serious question?

dqw1
12-06-09, 07:52 PM
hmmm, blacked out grill, thats something to considered. Now I sound the 'Sho guy that just got a V. Hope to get my wheels chromed black with a black grill in the spring or summer. Gotta get some low dust brake pads first as a high priority.

wfo
12-07-09, 06:12 PM
No way Bro..the front end of the V's are killer!! This is a beast with 556Hp...what are you thinking?

Tony407
12-07-09, 08:21 PM
No way Bro..the front end of the V's are killer!! This is a beast with 556Hp...what are you thinking?

I dunno...maybe the fact that those 556 hp sit BEHIND the grill, not in the grill itself?

Tony

JFJr
12-07-09, 09:40 PM
This is a serious high performance car. If you don't like the grill/air dam, then this car is not for you.

Tony407
12-07-09, 09:50 PM
This is a serious high performance car. If you don't like the grill/air dam, then this car is not for you.

:histeric:

Tony

abbas
12-08-09, 02:52 AM

:confused:

That comment makes no sense. So you are saying that just because I dont like the front grill, I should not drive this type of car. :thepan:

I dont like the CTS-V grill and would prefer the CTS grill. It is too 'bling bling' for me. My sister on the other hand loves the grill of the CTS-V because she is into the 'bling bling' factor.

Vrocks
12-08-09, 10:07 AM
I liked the regular CTS grill early on but now I think the V grill is better. I also don't think the regular CTS grill provides enough airflow (that's what I heard).

JFJr
12-08-09, 11:23 AM
:confused:

That comment makes no sense. So you are saying that just because I dont like the front grill, I should not drive this type of car.The design of the front air dam/grill was dictated primarily by the engineers to provide sufficient cooling to the engine and the front brakes. The V has different ventilation requirements than the standard CTS.

Tony407
12-08-09, 02:24 PM
The design of the front air dam/grill was dictated primarily by the engineers to provide sufficient cooling to the engine and the front brakes. The V has different ventilation requirements than the standard CTS.

I thought you were kidding when you wrote: "This is a serious high performance car. If you don't like the grill/air dam, then this car is not for you." But now I see that you're serious. Seriously?

I could care less if the V grill made a great tuna casserole, I still like the looks of the CTS better. (I'd like to repeat what I said before and state that I don't DISLIKE the front of the V, it's just that I like the CTS better.) I didn't realize that "serious high performance" cars had certain requirements for front grills, and that I had to like them to be able to own one. Funny, the Cadillac salesman didn't say anything about this. And all this time...

Tony

wfo
12-08-09, 05:12 PM
In a Forum setting which reaches across thousands of fantatics all with differing opinions you've got to expect it to come to you. You can't get too troubled, it ain't worth it. The CTS is a sweet ride and would take one over it's class competitor the 3 series BMW. Even the V6 CTS look.

But, the CTS-V and the grill it was designed with is, hot. It's big, in your face and low to the ground affect. If it were blacked out that might make it more appealing to some.

IMHO, it's the other Escalad'ish chrome treatment around the car that for me is sometimes a bit too bling.

This car is the M5 killer. I think it's adequately done that. The front fascia is all muscle. The aftermarket will probably catch up and offer varying versions to fill this space with something different; but the size and shape of the grill are on the money...IMHO.

jimbo1320
12-08-09, 08:36 PM
With the "V" grill you get better 1/4 mile speeds that s way I prefer it. I do like the Bling around the fog lamps on the CTS.

Caddy916Squad
12-16-09, 11:41 AM
V front end looks a lot better in my opinion.