: Buying a car out of state and brining it back to Massachusetts...

thebigjimsho
12-04-09, 05:37 PM
So, frankly, I was amazed at how many things went right to allow me to pick up my new V and get back to the meet in Jersey and then home by Sunday night.

Today, I received my first hiccup.

I have the V2 at Tint King in Billerica, MA(THE clear bra and tint people in the Boston area, FTMFW!) and was going to do the registry run to get everything squared away for ownership.

Since we don't have temp tags in MA, I had to have insurance set with a plate to put on the V when I picked it up. So since the V1 was sitting there, I used those plates and transferred the insurance that I had kept active. And I needed to go to my insurance agent to get my MA RMV-1 form and then use that to finally get registration in the V2's name. The dealer in Texas didn't give me the title as normally that's not how it works. But in MA, we need the title to then apply a MA title.

So now, the dealer is sending the title and paperwork conglomerate my title and the check for sales tax. Which will then get overnighted to my insurance agent who will then make the registry run for me. But that means my car can't be driven until Tuesday, at the earliest.

Not a big deal since we'll have some snow tomorrow and I'll be in Miami on Sunday.

Most people couldn't care less about all this procedure and headache. But, if you live in MA and buy out of state, make sure the dealer knows EXACTLY what is needed to complete the transaction.

12-04-09, 06:11 PM
I bought my V1 in Jersey from Pine Belt Cadillac, and then drove it to VA. As far as I recall, Pine Belt sent me on my way with Jersey temp tags, and THEY took care of a DMV runner in VA to take care of getting me VA tags, which were sent to me in about a month.

25 years ago, FWIW, I recall buying a Mustang GT in NY and driving it to my new home in MA. They sent me on my way with a NY temp tag, including all the necessary documentation including the all-important MSO. I had to go to DMV to get the tag (in Marlborough) on my own, but I don't remember any hassle.

I am jealous of your V2......I might be in Westford on Sunday; why don't you leave the keys for me? I don't need no stinkin tags.........

thebigjimsho
12-04-09, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I don't know when, or if, it ever changed to what it is now. But very simply, you cannot have a car owned by yourself as a MA resident without registration and insurance issued to you. Temp tags do not work. You can't have insurance without a registration and you can't have a registration without insurance when you get a car. All needs to be done at the same time.

Krug Ford
12-04-09, 08:40 PM
i have sold lots of cars to people in Mass and never had problems for my customers..

dlin95123
12-05-09, 01:47 AM
Scott, have you sold Vs to California?

thebigjimsho
12-05-09, 01:52 AM
Scott, have you sold Vs to California?
California is not Massachusetts. Look for one of any of Scott's infinite number of threads for drop shipping to California...

Krug Ford
12-06-09, 11:00 AM
I have sold about 15 V's in Mass and 18 in CAL..

No issues...

12-06-09, 01:16 PM
I have sold about 15 V's in Mass and 18 in CAL..

..That's a lot of horsepower, individual ownership rights, and tax revenue for such communist states :D:D:D:D