: 2008 STS Car Computer

got2btru!
12-04-09, 04:13 PM
OK, newbie on the site. Was wonding if anyone has attempted a car computer on a 2005 - 2010 STS? Did you do it with or without the OEM Radio / NAV? What did you go with?

I just bought an OEM NAV for my 08 STS, but am thinking about putting a CarPC in the trunk & connecting it to the OEM NAV. I'd also like to have another video out (of the PC) to dual rear seat head rests.

Just curious if anyone else has attempted & what they ran into...thanks!

Chris...

sba300
12-28-10, 07:34 PM
I am considering it. I have an '06 STS with NAV. Without any tinkering, we only have the option of a RCA video in, one that shuts off during drive. The only way to get it to work when driving is by installing a $250 lockpick unit that shuts off the VSS and GPS signals when needed. Then again, RCA inputs are not exactly feasible for carputer applications.

I've done some research on our nav units. Its a 800 x 480 res 8-inch display. The resolution of this display is similar to the ones found in many xenarc and lilliput touchscreen displays of comparable size. The display is also, according to Denso's claims, of VGA quality. Considering that the nav display looks like its mounted on its own above the main unit, I was thinking of reverse engineering it to splice in a VGA port that i can plug a video switcher into. Then its just a matter of switching between the carputer and the nav output. Sounds easy, but then again, all this is just speculation. I'll know more when I open up the unit.

GizmoQ
12-29-10, 02:23 AM
I am considering it. I have an '06 STS with NAV. Without any tinkering, we only have the option of a RCA video in, one that shuts off during drive. The only way to get it to work when driving is by installing a $250 lockpick unit that shuts off the VSS and GPS signals when needed. Then again, RCA inputs are not exactly feasible for carputer applications.

I've done some research on our nav units. Its a 800 x 480 res 8-inch display. The resolution of this display is similar to the ones found in many xenarc and lilliput touchscreen displays of comparable size. The display is also, according to Denso's claims, of VGA quality. Considering that the nav display looks like its mounted on its own above the main unit, I was thinking of reverse engineering it to splice in a VGA port that i can plug a video switcher into. Then its just a matter of switching between the carputer and the nav output. Sounds easy, but then again, all this is just speculation. I'll know more when I open up the unit.

Sounds like a good plan. One thing to document if you do dismantle the screen, write down anything that looks like the screen's part number. There a a few guys on mp3Car that may be able to help you find a VGA controller for the screen,

sba300
12-29-10, 10:17 PM
Too late. I took it apart, and put it back into my car shortly after. The LCD screen is fairly easy to remove. Just a few screws and connectors. Given my background, I am not able to clearly discern what the connectors were for. Has someone else had their nav unit dismantled?

From what I saw, there was one FFC and one ribbon cable running from the main unit into the LCD controller board. There were 3 connectors going from the LCD to the LCD controller board. I believe these were the backlight power connector, 4-wire touch screen FFC, and another FFC, presumably the LCD interface cable or the pixel panel cable (?).

From here, I'm not sure how one would interface a VGA controller onto the current LCD controller board to accept a VGA input. I didn't explore any further than that. I didn't want to destroy a perfectly good nav unit. Maybe when my unit starts failing outta warranty, I'll just reverse engineer the whole thing to run a carputer instead. :P

If I can find a non-functional nav unit on ebay for around 50 bucks, I'll try to understand it better. There's one on there for 150 bucks now, but that's too much for a non-functional unit.