: cobbled up mess! "Audio" I think?

Sapperdaddy
12-04-09, 04:09 PM
Ok so I bought a used 2002 cadillac sts. When I got in the car the headlights and dash light would flash constantly. I checked all the fuses and there were fine. So then I noticed what appeard to be a thick red am wire running from the fuse box under the back seat. In the middle of this cable was a fuse, so I pulled it and now everything works fine. So today I decided I was going to find out were this mystery cable was going. It ran under the drivers seat, and under the pedals were it was taped into a black cable that ran under the dash. My qusetion is what the hell is this going too? At first I thought there was a aftermarket amp installed somewere but none has been found. Ill try to post pics.

keelerdr
01-04-10, 08:50 PM
Hello,

Yea that def sounds like an odd problem...:hmm: It could be a 12 volt turn on lead for an aftermarket amp (most likely for a subwoofer). If the previous owner had a subwoofer, the sub itself, amp, and power & ground wires are the things of value so they would be the things that the previous owner would want to take with them. The 12v turn on lead is normally a thin wire since not much power goes through it and is not worth the hassle of removing it.

Does the car still act up now that the fuse is out of the wire? If you have a volt/ohm meter you can put the fuse back in and then test the wire to see if it has 12 volts going to it. If it doesnt when the car is off and does when the ignition is switched on, then this is most likely the 12v turn on lead for an aftermarket amp that the previous owner had.

Hope this helps.

curtc
01-14-10, 12:44 AM
It may be a beefed up positive battery cable running to your alternator. This is part of an upgrade used in car audio to deliver more consistent voltage.