: Rear Sway bar end bracket

Cadillac Giovanni
12-04-09, 02:24 PM
Noticed the bracket that holds the end of my rear sway bar to the chassis was broken. I'm having no luck finding a new one. Junkyards are useless, and parts stores stare at me like I have 3 heads.

Anyone know where to find one?

sven914
12-04-09, 02:51 PM
I'm having no luck finding one on Autozone.com or Rockauto.com, but you might have better luck asking for a Stabilizer Bar bracket. The sway bar is up front. If you have no luck at the parts stores, you may need to try the dealership.

jayoldschool
12-04-09, 03:08 PM
The dealer will likely be able to get it for you.

Cadillac Giovanni
12-04-09, 07:12 PM
Yup, they did, and for a totally reasonable $14.99. Who'd have thunk?

Angry Matt
12-04-09, 07:33 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever noticed a difference from adding a rear stabilizer bar? This has been an ongoing argument between a friend and I.

jayoldschool
12-04-09, 09:16 PM
Rear bar makes a big difference in handling and attitude of the car when cornering. Even the skinny little bar that was on the 4100 cars.

Cadillac Giovanni
12-06-09, 02:56 AM
I can definitely feel a difference since mine broke. There are some snaky turns around my house that my Brougham used to handle quite well, but now it's all off-kilter.

I find the car to really be quite graceful as long as you handle it properly. I've gone into corners and on-ramps that have my friends going to grab the overhead handles, only to realize that it wasn't that bad. You have to kind of let the weight of the car determine the curve, and never steer against it.

I have friends with hyundais that can't take a smooth corner.

Angry Matt
12-06-09, 10:41 AM
I was just curious as to what others thought. I added one to my '81 deville last year and I notice a big difference. I even went as far as to find a heavier one from a '95 hearse. My friend is just in disagreement with me on the subject and it bothers me to no end.

brougham_geezer
12-07-09, 10:51 PM
Glad you found one! I was going to add that while the dealer no longer stocks the bar itself, the brackets are available there. We've bought a couple of sets for several of our vehicles, and installed refurbished junkyard bars (of varying thicknesses), on them. They make a heck of a difference in handling. As mentioned, you can really track through a corner with one of these things. The thicker the bar, the better.

They also make these cars look a lot more substantial from the rear. I don't think they look "complete" without one installed.

My '80 CDV has a thinish-Cadillac-luxury type bar from a '79 CDV. Our 1985 Parisienne has one from an '90s 9C1 Caprice and is quite thick. The thickest is on our 1980 Cadillac hearse. It came with one from the factory with the Commercial Chassis option. We also have two extra bars here of a medium thickness (somewhere between the '79 CDV bar and the '90s Caprice bar), just incase we pick up another one of these body-styles.

They are from a 1981 Pontiac Parisienne Brougham "Sport Coupe" and a 1983 Olds Delta 88 Royale with HD suspension package.

Currently, my brother is looking hard to find rear stabilizer off a '71-'76 Cop Caprice or Buick Riviera etc. as they will bolt on to his '76 Fleetwood Brougham. These are MUCH harder to come-by.

Cadillac Giovanni
12-10-09, 01:29 AM
You had to buy them? Were they not stock equipment?

Angry Matt
12-10-09, 05:34 PM
The rear is optional, but I think standard on the commercial chassis and towing package.