: That popping sound

MGGuy
12-04-09, 01:55 AM
While backing out of a parking spot this evening I felt a pop that seemed to come from the front wheels. Felt like I was running over golf balls or something. Is this the popping noise many have described or is this something I need to look into?

GMX322V S/C
12-04-09, 02:03 AM
Most likely it's the infamous "clicking wheels" syndrome. There is a published service procedure, but most report it comes back (mine has 3 times). Some report that it goes away on its own, sometimes after "spirited" driving. The other known "charm point" is something about the combination of front suspension geometry and tire compound/grip characteristics at lower temperatures that can lead to a "thunk" or "thunking" sound with the wheel cranked over and backing up.

MGGuy
12-04-09, 02:13 AM
Most likely it's the infamous "clicking wheels" syndrome. There is a published service procedure, but most report it comes back (mine has 3 times). Some report that it goes away on its own, sometimes after "spirited" driving. The other known "charm point" is something about the combination of front suspension geometry and tire compound/grip characteristics at lower temperatures that can lead to a "thunk" or "thunking" sound with the wheel cranked over and backing up.

Ok, good. If this is the problem then it's only an annoyance and I don't need to go get the suspension checked. I bought a new torque wrench just so I'd be prepared if this problem showed up.

Has there been any word about whether there are any long-term issues if this goes unaddressed? We're not looking at bent wheel studs or loose lugs, are we?

GMX322V S/C
12-04-09, 02:32 AM
I think it's more of an annoyance than anything else--although some of the "clicks" I've felt through the steering wheel were pretty remarkable; can't help but wonder if there is any fatigue going on...

Stevan
12-04-09, 11:10 AM
Actually, I have this same issue and do not think that it has anything to do with the clicking. It only happens when I back out, and only when I am turning the wheel. Its feels like the wheel is about to fall off. My next service I was planning on having my dealer look at it.

CTSVeee
12-04-09, 12:13 PM
The last three cars I've owned had pretty large front tires and were GM vehicles:

2000 Trans Am WS6 - 275 mm
2005 Corvette - 245 mm
2009 CTS-V - 255 mm

I've noticed that when doing any tight turning slowly (like parking) and the surface is somewhat smooth (like a parking garage) the tires will tend to slip or hop. This is also very noticeable if you have a wet spot on the tire, as it is even more likely to skip.

RWFJR
12-04-09, 12:15 PM
I posted this about 4 months ago. Might be a similar issue...

Took my V2 to Dew Cadi today for a schedule 1 maintenance. I spoke to my service advisor whom I have known for about 25 years. Told him about some of the info I had obtained on THIS FORUM about different problems and solutions with the V2.

I also told him about a small "wheel hop" I had when backing and turning. I suggested that the car needs a wheel alignment. He stated that he woud try to get me a free one seeing that they have to charge after 2500 miles. I have 7500.

Turns out after the lazer alignment that my car had been previously set to CTS specifications and NOT a CTS V2 which is a whole different footprint.

No charge for the alignment...

cad fan
12-06-09, 10:37 AM
I have same problem only started in cold weather, never had this happen in the summer. The front end makes a popping noise and can be felt in the steering wheel while backing up and turning the wheel hard. I think this is different then the wheel clicking problem. My front wheels also make a clicking noise only heard outside the car at slow speeds while turning the steering wheel.