: WTF happened tonight?

jwall09
12-03-09, 10:46 PM
So I fly home tonight, leave the airport and within 5 miles the CIL comes on. Car felt normal, sounded normal, ran normal for 20 miles. 1 mile from home I get the message "Engine Power Reduced" and couldnt go above 20 MPH. Pull it in the garage and it sounded terrible, like it was going to die on me. Pull out the W4M tuner and return it to stock tune. Start the car up and no CIL and sounds fine.

From everything i read from other owners on this forum these cars seem VERY prone to having issues like this. Im very concerned because warranty is up in February, however, it is my first issue like that with it in the 9 months i have had it.

Any ideas on what happened?

LITTLEELVISDAN
12-04-09, 07:14 AM
I wish you would have read the code before returning to stock. The handheld will read them. next time check it first, it will tell you what was wrong.

CIWS
12-04-09, 07:24 AM
or at least what it thinks is wrong :D

jwall09
12-16-09, 10:36 PM
OK, on way home from airport tonight and got a yellow light, so i punched it and got the "Reduced Engine Power" again. Pulled over, got my W4M handheld and got the code before clearing codes. Code: P0068, and after clearing car runs perfect again. BTW, i was in stock tune.

silverws6ta
12-16-09, 10:45 PM
OK, on way home from airport tonight and got a yellow light, so i punched it and got the "Reduced Engine Power" again. Pulled over, got my W4M handheld and got the code before clearing codes. Code: P0068, and after clearing car runs perfect again. BTW, i was in stock tune.

P0068: Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Inconsistent with the MAF Sensor.

These are my own opinions of diagnosis --- obviously check all TB weatherpack connectors before venturing farther.

1) TB Servo isn't responding within XX milleseconds (not sure if thats serviceable)
2) TPS is faulty
3) MAF is dirty
4) TB is dirty (doubt it)
4a) Something is hoodoo with the voodoo.. :suspect:

PSRmark
12-17-09, 11:27 AM

What are the current mods on the car? I've seen this code before on over boosted cars...

jwall09
12-17-09, 07:13 PM
What are the current mods on the car? I've seen this code before on over boosted cars...

i have D3 CAI and Corsa Exhaust.

CIWS
12-18-09, 09:10 AM
Is it possible that junk off the cone filter has gotten on the MAF or is that not an oil type filter in the CAI ?

Bee iLL
12-18-09, 10:12 AM
The D3 Intake Filter is not an oil type. Confirmed that with D3 when I first got mine to make sure I did not need to oil it after cleaning.

PSRmark
12-18-09, 11:52 AM
Stage 1 and 2 pipes? Do you have the D3 ECU as well? I assume not since you didn't mention it...

I would start with cleaning the MAF and go from there.

If that doesn't help then I would start looking for a vacuum leak. Check the stage 2 pipe(if applicable) where it connects to the rear pipe and make sure they are seated fully. a while back I remember that a couple kits ended up with the wrong rear couplers (too big). I was almost sure that this was caught quickly and all improper couplers were recalled.

jwall09
12-18-09, 03:27 PM
Stage 1 and 2 pipes? Do you have the D3 ECU as well? I assume not since you didn't mention it...

I would start with cleaning the MAF and go from there.

If that doesn't help then I would start looking for a vacuum leak. Check the stage 2 pipe(if applicable) where it connects to the rear pipe and make sure they are seated fully. a while back I remember that a couple kits ended up with the wrong rear couplers (too big). I was almost sure that this was caught quickly and all improper couplers were recalled.

I only have the CAI. No stage 2 and no ECU. I will start by looking at and cleaning the MAF and makeing sure everything is tight. Thanks for the feedback, i will update if i dont fix the issue.