: Help!!!! Vinyl sources for replacement top

ad8n@gte.net
12-03-09, 06:58 PM
Hi,
I have 2 questions!
I need to replace the (original) vinyl top on my pristine '78 Fleetwood. The car is a rare '78 only color called Arizona Beige (Paint Code 62), and the top is Medium Beige (Code 98T). Unfortunately this color has been discontinued, and the only options are a dark chocolate brown, or a light golden color.

1. Can anyone tell me of a source for NOS vinyl?
2. Should I get a white vinyl top instead and dye it with the closest SEM vinyl dye I can find to match it?

Any help would be appreciated, since the original top is cracking and I'd like to replace it before it gets too bad.

Thanks!!!!

Antoni

Bro-Ham
12-04-09, 12:19 AM
Hi, My parents had a 1978 Coupe deVille d'Elegance waaaayyyy back in the day when I was a kid - - color 98 Autumn Haze Firemist with "W" Medium Beige top. The matching top to the Autumn Haze Firemist color is "W." On the 1978 Cadillac official color chart the two suggested vinyl top colors with the Arizona Beige color are "T" which is called Light Beige or "X" which is Dark Brown. The Medium Beige color is denoted on the color chart as "W" and it perfectly matchs Autumn Haze Firemist and doesn't look like a match to Arizona Beige. Hope this helps. :)

77CDV
12-04-09, 01:27 AM
SMS Fabrics should have what you need. Pricey, but you'll get the right stuff.

ad8n@gte.net
12-04-09, 05:30 PM
Bro-Ham: Thank you! Clearly I misread the dataplate, but the 98T code I read must indicate that the top vinyl color is really "T" Light Beige. I'm interested to hear that X (Dark Brown) was also an option (where can I find a copy of the original Cadillac color chart for 78?), and if I can't find the original color, I'll look for a dark brown alternative.
77CDV: Thanks for the SMS Fabrics recommendation. I'll check them out.

Bro-Ham
12-04-09, 08:58 PM
Bro-Ham: Thank you! Clearly I misread the dataplate, but the 98T code I read must indicate that the top vinyl color is really "T" Light Beige. I'm interested to hear that X (Dark Brown) was also an option (where can I find a copy of the original Cadillac color chart for 78?), and if I can't find the original color, I'll look for a dark brown alternative.
77CDV: Thanks for the SMS Fabrics recommendation. I'll check them out.

Well, dont' thank me, thank Sven and Jay-son for the sticky thread at the top of this forum where you can find the color charts for the model year you have and many others. I have the color chart and can photograph it for you including the listing on the back of the vinyl top colors for your specific color. Let me know and I would be happy to send it to you. I'm excited to see some pix of your beautiful car!!! :)

ad8n@gte.net
12-04-09, 10:18 PM
Bro-Ham. Yes, I must take some pix and post them! Thanks for the post about the sticky. Some great stuff there that i've overlooked while browsing. If you have a chance, I'd love to see a photo of the color chart for the 78's. My email is ad8n @ gte dot net.

77CDV
12-04-09, 10:40 PM
A saleman's data book for your year would provide tons of info about your car. Usually run about $50 for late-70s Cadillacs.

sven914
12-05-09, 12:03 AM
Key Auto Top (http://www.keeautotop.com/vinyltops.html) might have what you need. Here are their sample colors (http://www.keeautotop.com/vinylcard.html).

csbuckn
12-05-09, 07:45 PM
I saw, on one of the vinyl top threads, something about a sealant that you could spray on over your cracked vinyl top. Has anybody used something like that? I fear I have some water leaking through and just need to seal it. The tops in rough shape and I just need something to keep the water out.

ad8n@gte.net
12-18-09, 07:32 PM
Bro-ham,
Well, I finally went and took some pictures of the car. It's been lousy weather here, but now it's dry, and the car is looking pretty good.
I managed to get some samples from TomCo and SMS Fabrics. SMS sent through a sample that matches the Arizona Beige perfectly, but it's not the original color on the car, so I'm going to request another couple of samples...I'm still wondering if it might be medium beige. Any thoughts? If you have the chance to scan or photograph the '78 color chart, I'd love to see a copy! Thanks, A.

deVille33
12-18-09, 07:59 PM
Just a thought: If your car has previously seen a body shop, your top could have been changed out from the original.

sven914
12-18-09, 08:27 PM
Are those Eldorado wheel covers? I didn't think they would work on a RWD.

ad8n@gte.net
12-18-09, 10:03 PM
My folks bought the car in 1978. The top is original as are the wheels (I'll dig up some old family photos when the car was new). The top has faded slightly (and lost it's sparkle), but it's pretty much the same color. There was some slight damage 20 years ago in a fender bender that damaged the right front lights and bezels, but that is all the body damage and shop work that has been done to the car.

ad8n@gte.net
12-19-09, 12:11 AM
@deVille33, btw, you're absolutely right. I used to have an 87 Brougham d'Elegance. One night the rear window shattered, and the top had to be replaced as part of the rear window repair...

My_favorite_Brougham
12-19-09, 12:50 AM
But can't you replace a rear window without replacing the top? A buddy of mine replaced the rear window of his '95 without doing so.

ad8n@gte.net
12-19-09, 01:14 AM
Maybe you can. I was told you couldn't, and the insurance covered it, so the biggest problem was being without a car for 2-days.

csbuckn
12-19-09, 08:17 AM
The service manual for my 90 says the top has to be replaced if the back window is busted.

sven914
12-19-09, 10:58 AM
T'would seam that the RWD de Ville and Brougham are more closely related than meets the eye. It makes sense that Cadillac would only make one body, and it's eaisier to make a factory formal roof, then to take a formal roof and turn it into a full rear window. My service manual shows the entire panel out, and the void is the size of the de Ville's rear window.

So if you can make a de Ville from a Brougham, can you make a Brougham from a de Ville?