: Most miles....

Steve_Mains
12-03-09, 02:41 PM
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum. I bought a 1998 Cadillac Catera this year. It had 144,000 miles on it. Recently, I noticed how rusty the rotors were behind the wheels, so I took the wheels off and brush off the loose rust with a steel brush then used a rust remover solvent and scrubbed the majority of the rust off. It worked well. Then I sprayed them, and the breaks with a chrome spray. Looks new to the naked eye now. Also I bought black lugnut covers since I was missing a few. Most have said it makes the car look a whole lot newer. It's a beige color with no dents and actually really looks good for being an 11 year old car. I use penzoil, and oil treatment and make sure the radiator is also full with coolant/antifreeze. Also bought 2 new bridgestone tires for the front and it drives really smooth. I also use gas treatment every now and then when I fill up and fuel injector fluid after every oil change which I do every 4000 miles.

I would like to know if there's anyone out there who has more miles then 155,500 on there Catera, or what the most is.....

Matera97
12-03-09, 07:06 PM
134K miles on my Catera

CateraMV6
12-03-09, 09:32 PM
139,985 2K1 Sport, due for oil change tomorrow.

There was a fella on here that posted a car with over 200K.

I think mine will go up to around that before I get rid of it, which should be in about 2 years.

Which oil treatment do you use.

I always buy 5Quarts of Valvoline High millage synthetic or semi-synthetic oil and a 1QT of Lucas Oil additive.

Been thinking about some royal purple but I doubt that will make any difference at all.

If I don't use the additive I notice a bit more noise from the valve-train especially on startup.

Also do any of you notice the oil filter being all twisted when you take it out. Mine goes in perfect and comes out somewhat twisted, and I cant figure out why.

Matera97
12-03-09, 10:37 PM
CateraMV6 says:
Also do any of you notice the oil filter being all twisted when you take it out. Mine goes in perfect and comes out somewhat twisted, and I cant figure out why.

Most filters have a little spring thing that allows free oil flow when the pressure becomes too much, could be due to high oil pressure. Are you referring to the filter body or the threading? Just thowing out ideas here.

CateraMV6
12-03-09, 11:35 PM
Well its the element that gets all messed up.

Its as if you took the filter grabbed each end with your hand and twisted in opposite directions just like you would if you were twisting a pop can.

The filter media is twisted to some degree, I will see if I can take pics this time.

mike1588
12-04-09, 12:04 AM
192,000 still pretty strong

JRomano
12-04-09, 02:44 PM
mine had 118k when i bought it 9/08, it now has 139k as of the turn of 12/09

Matera97
12-04-09, 04:07 PM
CateraMV6:
Its as if you took the filter grabbed each end with your hand and twisted in opposite directions just like you would if you were twisting a pop can.

So say you put a vacuum on one end of a pop can and sucked all of the air out of it the can will begin to colapse on itself. I think you're getting the same effect on your filters, which are pretty well the same shape and have the opening on one end. I wonder what could cause that? I know this is a stupid question to ask, especially to you, but are you putting enough oil in when you do you changes? Also I've heard people putting fresh oil in the filter when they install it. Maybe when the filter is dry, and the engine starts, it may crumple due to lack of oil filling it up to maintain its struture and shape. Again just suggestions.

crazcaddyguy
12-05-09, 05:08 PM
<-------165,251 on a 2000 sport and not running :annoyed:

libbysman
12-11-09, 01:48 PM
Hello All: My 97 has just turned 172km. and she is still full of guts, and goes like a rocket. I'm the second owner and believe the original took decent care of it. He pulled out of dealership service after its first 8 years. The only negative is that he had his local garage put used parts into the front suspension which I have had to replace. Does anyone know where ther is a relaible source of front sway bar bushings? I just had the control arm one done but still get a major thunk when I hit bumps. The sway bar links have been done also. Any advise would be recieved with big thanks. Merry Chistmas to everyone. Brian

R-Caddy
12-12-09, 07:46 PM
118k and 148k on mine

Cadi Cat
12-13-09, 12:23 AM
Just rolled over 176k. Still strong and no cels for quite a long time now :yup:

catera6
11-02-11, 12:17 AM
I bought my 1997 Catera in 2002 with only 40,000 from an elderly couple who drove from DC to Canada once a year. I now have 173,000 miles and the car still performs well. I have had the recalls on the timing belt and tensioner done and I am on my third timing belt (changed at 50,000 and 107,000 miles). I replaced the water pump at 164,000 miles and have replaced the heater control valve twice. I use to run 10W30 Castrol GTX but I changed to Mobil 1 fully synthetic Extended 5W30 since the car hit 136,000 miles. it doesn't burn oil and gets great gas mileage. If I can fix the electrical gremlins (TC/ABS lights and dome light not working) I plan on keeping this car forever.

hgqguy
11-07-11, 06:11 PM
bought with 121K 10-23-09 now has 140K 11-06-11 2000 sport.