: Great Cars too Cheap

cowboy cad
07-13-03, 09:33 PM
My wife just bought a 96 seville sts and paid too much for it but it is awsome. my question is how come they do not hold their value. we paid blue book($12,000) cause our tongues were hanging out. but new was close to $50,000. unbelievable value loss in 8 years. I saw some on e-bay for almost half what we paid. Why!

SLS97
07-13-03, 10:09 PM
Welcome. Who really knows why they're so different in price. I have a 97 SLS and I see them listed from 9500.-15,000. Guess it has a lot to do with the condition of the car and how hungry you look to the dealer. They can ask for any price. If you have to fianance the car that can be tough. No matter what the "books" say, they all have a loan value and that's all they will loan against the car.

JerseyGirl
07-13-03, 10:10 PM
My wife just bought a 96 seville sts and paid too much for it but it is awsome. my question is how come they do not hold their value. we paid blue book($12,000) cause our tongues were hanging out. but new was close to $50,000. unbelievable value loss in 8 years. I saw some on e-bay for almost half what we paid. Why!

LOL....isn't that the way it always is? We used to see around here 91-93 Sedan DeVilles selling for over 4 & 5 g's, now you can pick one up for like $1200 in super nice condition! Caddy's always seem to do that & a car depreciates the minute you drive it off the lot. Probably why I will never buy a brand spankin' new car or truck again! :helpless:

elwesso
07-13-03, 10:11 PM
Hello!! And welcome to the forums!!

As far as depreciation, the depreciation is based mostly on the consumers "value", or how valuable they see the car...... For instance, you wont see a good (equal condition to yours) 96 Lexus LS400........ Why?? People think Lexii are better..... Which, for the used car consumer its perfect..... But for the new car consumer, it SUCKS!!

cowboy cad
07-13-03, 10:18 PM
We just saw the car and she wanted to drive it, we were looking for an suv to pull behind the motorhome to replace our old 94 s-10 Blazer. The STS is the diamond white color (looks like Mother of Pearl in light) that is what got us looking. we didn't even research it. Had it only 3 days now and probably will take 6 months to see what all the extras are. I didn't even know what a northstar engine was or is. Hope we made the right move. we do not trade cars a lot. probably will keep it a long time if it doesn't give us much trouble. I felt like it could be collectable when we first saw it but maybe i'm wrong. we decided to buy on impulse. Sure is Beautiful. and fast.

elwesso
07-13-03, 10:43 PM
Well, make sure you read through some of the other sections and you will learn a multitude of information......

The northstar is arguably one of the most technologically advanced engine of its time, so expect some things to fail on it (i would budget at least 500/mo, until you get it in tip top shape)......

SoundAdvantage
07-13-03, 10:50 PM
Hello and WELCOME to our Cadillac Family!
A car is worth what someone will pay for it > i look at the condition of the vehicle and the loan value of the car i am interested in. As long as you can afford the car and you Like it then thats all that really matters in my opinion. Out of all the cars out there that are built today, I believe Cadillac makes a car for every individual's appeal, and they make one of the most comfortable, safe and luxurious vehicles for your money. :spin:

elwesso
07-13-03, 10:58 PM
And the way I see it, you COULD pay 6000 for a car that LOOKS the same, but if it was maintained like crap, it wont take long to make up for the difference.....

cowboy cad
07-13-03, 11:35 PM
I did a title check and found the car was originally from Canada and the speedometer says mph but goes to 240 even kph wouldn't normally go that far would it. The only thing i'm concerned about is the brakes it acts like it has a warped rotor when you step firmly on the pedal.(are there any other differences between canadian and US cars. for instance emission standards or what have ya.)

SLS97
07-14-03, 07:48 AM
Last night when I was coming home from dinner, there was an RV in the next lane. Behind it they were towing a Durango and behind that they had a small u-haul type carrier! I thought, what a driver he (she) must be! Probably drives a Rig for a living. We get a lot of vacationers here. You'll love the STS and do get the brakes check! Don't know that there's any difference in Canadian cars to US cars. You and your wife made a nice choice. Enjoy!

HotRodSaint
07-14-03, 08:24 AM
my question is how come they do not hold their value.

As long as rednecks and pimps are a used Cadillacs demographics, then used Cadillacs won't hold the esteem of other luxury cars with the general public.

BeelzeBob
07-14-03, 08:43 AM
As long as rednecks and pimps are a used Cadillacs demographics, then used Cadillacs won't hold the esteem of other luxury cars with the general public.
Darn good point.. It's all young kids with Caddy's here in New York. The older guys drive Park Avenue's and the 17 year old with baggy pants drive Escalades and other Caddy's...

Welcome aboard, Cowboy! You did pick yourself up an amazing car!

SLS97
07-14-03, 06:10 PM
:offtopic: Rednecks and pimps! Still have no idea what a redneck is. I never heard that term till I relocated to SC. I'm finished with winter! Yeah! :)
Wes, I sure hope the estimate of 500.00 a month for repairs is not for real! Glad I'm under a service contract!
Sal, not only in NY are the kids driving the caddys. From reading the posts on this forum they're everywhere. I don't see it here though. I hope they all have good jobs! "Baggy pants driving the Escalades!" That's too funny!
SLS97

AirJigga25
07-14-03, 06:30 PM

How many miles were on it?

JerseyGirl
07-14-03, 09:44 PM
:offtopic: Rednecks and pimps! Still have no idea what a redneck is. I never heard that term till I relocated to SC. I'm finished with winter! Yeah! :)

SLS97

haha...I live around rednecks, I know exaclty what a redneck is! :)

elwesso
07-14-03, 11:53 PM
When I said 500/mo..... First off, thats what it will AVERAGE to...... You will ahve to do some stuff to get it into reasonable condition, thats the way it is with used cars, so no use denying it...... Unless you dont plan on keeping it for a while, then you can just drive it till it dies...... Although using your money wisely, you can restore many a mile back into your car...... But, you can cut that by 3/4 if you have a service contract...... What kind of stuff does that cover??

AirJigga25
07-15-03, 09:53 AM

thats a stereotype...

AirJigga25
07-15-03, 10:01 AM

You forgot about BALLERS... I'm a BALLER! Do you know what that is??

On a more serious note, don't be so quick to say rednecks and pimps are a used caddy demographic... you can't be so narrow minded. Used Caddy's are for all people who don' have the money to or don't want to buy a new caddy and want to project the image of a Cadillac projected through the specific model that they purchase. My friends' mom bought her husband a 1993 Deville Cape edition in beautiful shape. He's an electrician by trade and he'd always wanted a Caddy because he had an appreciation for them as well as the image. Is he a redneck or a pimp?

Regardless, Now that's a good bday gift!!

shaggygrosser
07-15-03, 11:32 AM
I was reading a thread on the car & driver board about this very same topic (Cadillac depreciation). One person mentioned that it was because of the rental car fleets that are hurting the value. Either way, the subject is a moot point for me, I plan on keeping my car.

elwesso
07-15-03, 12:21 PM
That is a good point also........

But the consumers "value" of the car plays a major role......

Why do you think a 94 infiniti Q45 is upto 4000 less than a 94 lexus LS400 with similar miles and condition......? The public views the lexus as a better car....

SLS97
07-15-03, 03:55 PM
**Wes..Although using your money wisely, you can restore many a mile back into your car...... But, you can cut that by 3/4 if you have a service contract...... What kind of stuff does that cover??**

It reads like a book. I'd say it's like the bumper to bumper ones. Just not covering the body. It's one of the reasons I wanted to buy from a dealer. I have bought cars (new) from them before so I know how trusting and honest they are.

elwesso
07-15-03, 07:33 PM
Well thats good..... I should have gotten one for mine, i would have already dropped (or the warranty company) at least 1000 in repairs that didnt really need to be done, but should be done! Dont be scared to use it!!

HotRodSaint
07-15-03, 08:21 PM
You forgot about BALLERS... I'm a BALLER! Do you know what that is??

A guy who cleans golf balls for a living? :lightbulb

elwesso
07-15-03, 08:24 PM
Excuse me, thats MY job!!!

scourge
07-15-03, 11:23 PM
Public perception and poor quality play a great part in Caddy depreciation. For years, Caddy made substandard cars while the Germans, Brits, and Japanese blew right by them. Instead of imporving, Caddy just muddled along with enough people willing to spend the ridiculous amount of money GM asked for. Caddy lost its credibility, lost market share, and appealed to only certain groups of people. If you weren't one of these people, why get a Caddy when better was to be had?

Caddy seems to have a set of demographics:

* blue hair little old ladies who can't drive for shit in a giant car they are too small to control

* xenophobic rednecks who think ferein cars should be destryed

* pimps and drug dealers

* drug dealers withthe money to spend on Caddy SUVs

Fair or not, this is public perception. And, this is greatly responsible for why people simply don't want a Caddy (poor quality and social undesirables as a majority of Caddy owners).

HotRodSaint
07-15-03, 11:37 PM
For years, Caddy made substandard cars while the Germans, Brits, and Japanese blew right by them.

The Brits? No really, THE BRIT'S?!?

scourge
07-16-03, 05:05 AM
Ever seen a Bristol Blenheim? The thing is nice. Granted though, its way more expensive than a Caddy, but Caddy was once THE symbol of luxury that set the standard for luxury cars that people other than the ultr-rich could afford.

HotRodSaint
07-16-03, 08:42 AM
Ever seen a Bristol Blenheim? The thing is nice. Granted though, its way more expensive than a Caddy, but Caddy was once THE symbol of luxury that set the standard for luxury cars that people other than the ultr-rich could afford.

I thought you were talking about surpassing Cadillac in quality.

The Brit's have made several car's over the years that I'd love to own. But none of them have ever been known for superior quality.

I've never been impressed with the styling of the Bristol. It's too '70's looking for me. Well, except for the semi-coool looking '50's style speedster, whatever it's called.

Aston Martin has made some good looking car's. But they are way past Cadillac intended market. And the quality, even as a FoMoCo, still scares me.

AirJigga25
07-16-03, 08:54 AM

Going back to the Original topic, the Seville was rated last in the consumer reports for either number or repairs or reliability. They are a dream to drive when they're runnning perfect, but they come with baggage that you have to be aware of. The people who don't want to think too much about their cars get an acura, lexus, or infiniti. There's just something about the cadillac image that draws people in.
If you take care of your used caddy and have a extended warrantee... you can get your money's worth for sure. Expect a few things to go wrong though.

It was hard for me to sell my seville for a good price in the over saturated boston car market for instance, and coupled with 0% financing that GM is offering, and the seville's record of repairs...the value to others isn't as high as we would all like. Thats why I chose to keep it and its been good to me lately.

Good luck with your STS, your wife will definitely enjoy driving it.

elwesso
07-16-03, 11:18 AM
Although...... Cadillacs quality is getting better!! They are ranked up at the top, falling just behind lexus, infiniti, and some others...... There was a post about this from JD power earlier........

AirJigga25
07-16-03, 11:39 AM
Although...... Cadillacs quality is getting better!! They are ranked up at the top, falling just behind lexus, infiniti, and some others...... There was a post about this from JD power earlier........

Yeah but for used cadillacs, not new ones the ratings were poor. say 95-99 seville or deville.

elwesso
07-16-03, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I was just trying to look on the brighter side!!! :D

I'll agree..... I would say the 93-99 were the not so reliable years for the cadillac...... I think they are finally getting a hold of this northstar engine, and making it last!!!

AirJigga25
07-16-03, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I was just trying to look on the brighter side!!! :D

I'll agree..... I would say the 93-99 were the not so reliable years for the cadillac...... I think they are finally getting a hold of this northstar engine, and making it last!!!

MMMM....yeah, I'm just gonna go ahead and agree with you on that one...yeah..uh huh

(officespace syndrome today).

shaggygrosser
07-16-03, 12:57 PM

I think I saw that JD Powers chart too... Problems per 100 cars... and the domestics did really well, contrary to the general public's opinion. Buick & Cadillac did remarkably well. I'll see if I can find it again.

shaggygrosser
07-16-03, 01:07 PM
The whole JD Power release is here:
http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pressrelease.asp?ID=2003050

funny how Mercedes Benz, Volvo, & Audi didn't do so hot.

and Buick, wow #3 behind Lexus & Infiniti

cowboy cad
07-20-03, 12:56 AM
How many miles were on it?
The car has 75,000 miles on her. and no oil drips so far under her over night.

AirJigga25
07-20-03, 02:08 PM
The car has 75,000 miles on her. and no oil drips so far under her over night.
ooo...you paid a little much but we all wish you the best of luck.

elwesso
07-20-03, 02:14 PM
Yeah that is a little steep (ok very steep) for 75k...... I would have paid maybe 7.......

But, if the maintenance is BETTER than what is required, nothing will replace that......

A 90 Q45 on NICO with under 150k can go for upto 8000 if it has been maintained perfectly (at NICO, they have maintenance items that arent even in the manual)..... Whereas the average 90Q may go for 2000, on a good day......

mitch666
08-01-03, 11:32 AM
As long as rednecks and pimps are a used Cadillacs demographics, then used Cadillacs won't hold the esteem of other luxury cars with the general public. That's funny, most of my redneck pimp friends drive Lincolns...:devil: