: Fuel Leak

fristim
08-06-04, 05:59 PM
I started smelling gas about a week ago. Finally pulled the noise cover off the top of the motor and, low and behold, I have a fuel leak in the fuel rail between Cyl. 3 and 5. My question is how do I fix it. Does it require new fuel lines or can just that one part be replaced or do I replace the line with new injectors also?? Thanks in advance guys. Oh by the way its a 98 Concours with 131000 on it.

fristim
08-06-04, 06:37 PM
Well I've looked around on the site and see that I'm not included on the recall since I have a 98 model year vehicle but I still have the "Pin Hole" leak. Also my manufacture date is 9-97 would that change anything??

scottp
08-06-04, 08:27 PM
While I'm all for being able to patch a small leak rather than replace an entire assembly, in the case of your fuel rail, I think it prudent to go ahead and R&R the unit. The fuel that passes through there is under a fair amount of pressure and I know I would not feel comfortable knowing that a patch job could fail at any moment causing fuel to spray around the engine compartment.

I went through the replacement of a fuel rail on my '95 STS a few months ago but saved all receipts and should be able to get reimbursed from GM as my particular vehicle is part of the recall.

It wouldn't surprise me if the recall expanded to other model years. I think you should replace the assembly and save all receipts for possible future action.

eldorado1
08-06-04, 11:27 PM
Get the new stainless steel fuel rail. I think it's less than $200. Don't try to patch it - not too many things work in a high pressure gasoline environment.

fristim
08-07-04, 02:41 AM
where do I get the SS fuel rail from. My Dealer's not showing one.

eldorado1
08-07-04, 12:38 PM
Oh, that's right, you have a 98. I think the SS rails are for 95-97's.... Maybe someone else knows if there is a year that interchanges with your 98. You might be able to get one in without having to use rubber hose to connect to your fuel lines.