: 1947 Cadillac

1964CoupeDeville
12-02-09, 09:01 PM
Thinking of a creative way of getting rid of my 60' Chevrolet Bel Air, I found this http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/1485565290.html it may not be pretty but it'll give me something to do in my free time. Hell, I could probably do the body myself before my body shop finishes and I've never even tried Body Work before.

outsider
12-03-09, 11:00 AM
Go for it if you're comfortable doing the work yourself. Would be a great project to have fun and learn on :)

Body work isn't that hard, these old cars are all metal so if there are any rust holes you can weld some tin on there and fiberglass/bondo it for finishing touches. easy stuff.

Try to talk them down on the price though...it's not running and I bet an old engine like that, parts are hard to find.

1964CoupeDeville
12-03-09, 11:37 AM
Go for it if you're comfortable doing the work yourself. Would be a great project to have fun and learn on :)

Body work isn't that hard, these old cars are all metal so if there are any rust holes you can weld some tin on there and fiberglass/bondo it for finishing touches. easy stuff.

Try to talk them down on the price though...it's not running and I bet an old engine like that, parts are hard to find.

His mechanic who rebuilt thinks it may run but I'm telling him to verify that.

outsider
12-03-09, 12:12 PM
His mechanic who rebuilt thinks it may run but I'm telling him to verify that.

good plan. To me, the best project cars are the ones that don't need much mechanical work. I say this mostly because I can do body work but I'm not great at mechanical stuff. To each his own, however. Some people are better at mechanical. It's really a personal choice. :)

1964CoupeDeville
12-03-09, 04:07 PM
good plan. To me, the best project cars are the ones that don't need much mechanical work. I say this mostly because I can do body work but I'm not great at mechanical stuff. To each his own, however. Some people are better at mechanical. It's really a personal choice. :)

These cars had power windows, first of their kind. I've heard they're a real hassle to repair though.

77CDV
12-04-09, 02:36 AM
You really like your projects! Looks like a standard Series 62 sedan, not worth too much even restored. Flathead V8 still has good parts availability. "Power" windows are hydroelectric. I believe they use transmission fluid to drive the windows up and down. The fluid lines tend to leak, causing corrosion of the door panels.

outsider
12-04-09, 09:37 AM
You really like your projects! Looks like a standard Series 62 sedan, not worth too much even restored. Flathead V8 still has good parts availability. "Power" windows are hydroelectric. I believe they use transmission fluid to drive the windows up and down. The fluid lines tend to leak, causing corrosion of the door panels.

Ya you should/could probably replace them mechanics of the windows with a more modern electric solution