: For Those Shipping Their Cars...

TrevorD
12-02-09, 01:22 PM
I wanted to let everyone know what to expect when shipping a car. I spoke to Dan's Transport this morning regarding the shipping of my car, and I told him that I preferred enclosed. As expected, he said it's more expensive, and I said that's fine. I inquired about the open trailer shipping, and he said that the car will show up really dirty. It gets subjected to the same things as if it was driving down the road: dirt, rain, possible rock chips, etc. Needless to say, I DO NOT want my new car showing up filthy with possible rock chips! I was surprised to hear that he was trying to schedule everyone as best as he can since he had quite a few guys requesting an open trailer. Anybody can do whatever they want; it's their car and they're paying for the shipping. However, I thought it was worth a post to inform people what may come with shipping the car on an open trailer and not enclosed.

For me, it's worth the extra $400-$500 to have my new car arrive clean and perfect! :)

FWIW

Trevor

dqw1
12-02-09, 07:47 PM
I spoke to him this morning and he really advised against open shipping. I know more money is made from enclosed shipping. A co-worker of mine told me that one of the cars they shipped was so dirty it was almost shocking. I looked at another site and the number complaint for customers was how dirty the car's are on arrival. Just something to think about when looking at your options and it is more expensive.

Nine Ball
12-02-09, 08:57 PM
Never ship a car on an open 18-wheeler, unless you can guarantee your car stays on the bottom level. The ones on top get beat to hell by tree branches hanging over the road a lot of times, causing paint damage. I know someone who ordered a new Mercedes and it showed up with scuffs in the roof and on the sides from being beaten by trees along the way. It was sent back, LOL!

Open car hauler with 3 cars on it (diesel pickup truck) is no biggie to me. Those just get rained on, they aren't tall enough for tree issues.

Luna.
12-02-09, 09:17 PM
There is no way in hell I'd ever ship a car across the country open... Enclosed is certainly the way to go, if for nothing more than piece of mind...

Krug Ford
12-02-09, 09:36 PM
Dan said he is going to pick up the cars either friday or Saturday.

So you guys should have them a few days after that.

TrevorD
12-02-09, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the update Scott! Hopefully my car arrives by Tuesday. I'll be gone Wed. - Sat. on business, so I'd have to have a friend take delivery of the car for me. I'm sure I'll have volunteers standing in line! LOL

Krug Ford
12-02-09, 10:23 PM
I am on here right now if anyone has any questions..

zyx5432
12-02-09, 10:56 PM
Woohoo! Can't wait!

thebigjimsho
12-03-09, 01:10 AM
Fly and drive is teh way to do it!

dvandentop
12-03-09, 01:58 AM
Fly and drive is teh way to do it!
what i hopefully will be doing even though risky this time of year in the midwest :hide:

thebigjimsho
12-03-09, 02:02 AM
what i hopefully will be doing even though risky this time of year in the midwest :hide:
We had rain when I left Boston, but it was clear and cool all the way home from Texass...

TrevorD
12-03-09, 09:03 AM
Fly and drive is definitely the best way to go! But, I bought the car the day before Thanksgiving and I'm going to be out of town quite a bit. I was gone for Thanksgiving, I'll be gone this weekend, and I'll be gone most of next week on business. So, shipping was my only option. Besides that, I'd be afraid of the weather this time of year. I'm in Texas, and we've been dealing with snow, sleet, etc this week and it's not over!

dqw1
12-03-09, 09:42 AM
I was going to fly and drive also but like the others, the weather had me a little concerned. I don't know how people drive in the snow from the midwest, but here in Bama, it becomes smash up derby time. Can you believe we have snow forecasted in Northern Bama for Friday & Saturday? I'll keep my V1 in garage if it does snow (or flurry). And the supermarkets shelves will empty if the forecast holds.

Krug Ford
12-03-09, 11:19 AM
4 Cars are being today to AL, Texas, and CAL

Wiley AL
Levy CA
Rollyson TX
Doelling TX

being picked up this afternoon.

thebigjimsho
12-03-09, 12:27 PM
Fly and drive is definitely the best way to go! But, I bought the car the day before Thanksgiving and I'm going to be out of town quite a bit. I was gone for Thanksgiving, I'll be gone this weekend, and I'll be gone most of next week on business. So, shipping was my only option. Besides that, I'd be afraid of the weather this time of year. I'm in Texas, and we've been dealing with snow, sleet, etc this week and it's not over!
If I could've gotten my deal squared away before Thanksgiving, I would've flown to San Antonio on Thanksgiving and driven back on Friday morning instead of Friday night.

Guess I lucked out last week...

zyx5432
12-03-09, 12:28 PM
Thats earlier than expected! How many days do you suspect it will take to reach TX?

Krug Ford
12-03-09, 12:44 PM
3 to 4 days I am guessing.

TrevorD
12-03-09, 02:06 PM
4 Cars are being today to AL, Texas, and CAL

Wiley AL
Levy CA
Rollyson TX
Doelling TX

being picked up this afternoon.

:xsmile:

dqw1
12-03-09, 03:08 PM
I believe from Michigan to Bama is 650 miles. If he left early Friday he could get here late Friday night or Saturday morning and drop off two cars. Should be in Texas by Sunday depending on rest time is my guess.

asabase
12-03-09, 03:57 PM
As long as he is out of here by saturday when it snows 0.00001" and everyone is skidding off in the ditch.

dqw1
12-03-09, 05:17 PM
As long as he is out of here by saturday when it snows 0.00001" and everyone is skidding off in the ditch.
how true that statement is for our NASCAR drivers down here.
Asa, did you make your milk, bread,eggs and survival kit run yet? The forecast is up to 50% for a few snowflakes so I imagine the local news stations will be in full hype mode before tomorrow night.

Krug Ford
12-03-09, 05:25 PM
I took some pics