: Best way to prevent an oil leak on N*?

Twilightcall
08-06-04, 01:27 PM
I have seen many N*s that have oil leaks from somewhere under the car. From what I have read you have to raise the engine to fix it. What is the best way to prevent oil leaks on these cars? Changing the oil every 3K miles? PCV valve? Any info would be appreciated. I want to keep my car leak free. Thanks.

oldgamer
08-06-04, 03:04 PM
Your's car is not leaking, right?
I have a 94' STS and no leak at all.
Don't worry too mach and your car will be just fine.

I bought my car in 1998 and all I did just change the oil (not too often though), changed the air filter and the battery once.
I got couple codes (who did not?), but I know there nothing wrong with the car, just wiring. And one thing more: like I can see, more often car getting into stealerships or shops - more trouble you will get after. Just do some regular stuff you need to do: check the tire air pressure, oil level... and your car will be just fine.

sts96
08-06-04, 03:48 PM
Use brand name oil DO NOT USE private label.
Used cheap oil in my 95 Eldo oil leaks started soon after.
pulled power train on my 96 sts for head gasket replacement found all seals and gaskets leaking replaced all seals, gaskets even all o rings all were pliable but only 2/3 the cross section of ihe new ones. were they shrunk by cheap oil ???. replacement cost to high to chance cheap oil. time serted block replaced head gaskets, bolts after 900 miles NO leaks and runs great like i knew it would. lol
sts96

Twilightcall
08-06-04, 04:15 PM
Thanks Guys. I do use name brand oil. Only 10-30 right.

Eldyfig
08-08-04, 10:48 AM
10W30, yes.

And, I have heard and believe that synthetic will find any weak points in your gasket system and eventually seap out. I use conventional and the bottom of my North* is dry.

caddyshack24
08-08-04, 11:37 AM
Yeah, It's the mid-seal that leaks, i suppose it should have been checked out more throughly by thr R&D team. 10W-30 unless your car is 2000 or newer, the northstars switched to 5w-30 then. Right on with the synthetics leaking more, much thinner oil. You get what you pay for. 1qt / 1k miles is 'normal' -- mine doesnt use much at all, but it leaks. cya

Ranger
08-08-04, 09:34 PM
There is nothing you can do to prevent the half case leak. If it's gonna leak, it's gonna leak. If it does, it's usually just seepage and rarely drips but to fix it requires the engine be removed $$$$$$. Keep in mind, all underside leaks are not half case leaks. Could be the oil filter adapter or oil coolant lines. Both much easier and cheaper.

jonrodman
08-08-04, 11:15 PM
I use Mobil 1 10W30 Synthetic. I don't believe that it seeps, or causes leaks any more than conventional oil.
Jon
96STS