: Seat Comparo V1 vs V2

vseries
12-01-09, 11:17 PM
For those who were previous owners of V1's or who still are How do you compare the seats in the V2 BOTH Recaro & Standard in comfort and bolstering?
Thanks for your input.

Silver -V-
12-02-09, 11:07 AM
If you are coming from a V1 like I did, there is no comparison. The new seats are more comfortable and better bolstered. I have the standard seats, and during track days in my old V1, I had to barace myself and snug down my CG lock to stay in the seat. The new seats seem to hold me in place much better, and I don't have to fight staying in the seat when driving hard.

I drove a Recaro equipped car and that seat is even better at being able to hold you in place. I am just not sure how good the seat would be on a long drive. Final assessment - V2 seats beat the V1 seats hand down.

pmsteinm
12-02-09, 01:04 PM
I agree..I went from a 04 V to an 09 w/the Recaros.

Can't comment on the long drive part (only have a 40 min commute at worst)...but I think even the Recaros are better than the V1 (since the V2 rides smoother).

vseries
12-02-09, 07:34 PM
Thanks guys , thats great info . As you may have realized I have an 04 and am looking to get into an 09 and wanted a little more bolstering but not overkill that would hurt my arse on a trip to Englishtown or such. It seems the standard ones should be a nice fit but I am not counting out Recaros , I suppose I need to start test driving both soon:bouncy:

OldRoadDawg
12-02-09, 09:30 PM
I came out of a 04 V and bought my 09 with Recaros. I've driven 09s with both versions, but would never give up my Recaros.
They take some getting used to and a lot of tinkering/adjusting. After 4 months and 6500 miles I still tweak on the settings, depending on how my creaky old body is feeling. That is what I love about them..... that there are so many adjustments you can make.

And then there is the cooling function - not available on the standard seats.
Plus they just look :cool2:

dmr_in_il
12-02-09, 09:39 PM
Let me start out by saying that I never drove a V1.

However, I did try both Recaro and standard seats in the V2 and I chose the Recaros. My longest drive is Chicago area to Fort Benning, GA, approx. 850 miles, in 12.5 hours including two stops and a meal. The seats were amazingly comfortable for both my wife and I.

YMMV

end9472
12-02-09, 11:50 PM
I came out of a 04 V and bought my 09 with Recaros. I've driven 09s with both versions, but would never give up my Recaros.
They take some getting used to and a lot of tinkering/adjusting. After 4 months and 6500 miles I still tweak on the settings, depending on how my creaky old body is feeling. That is what I love about them..... that there are so many adjustments you can make.

And then there is the cooling function - not available on the standard seats.
Plus they just look :cool2:

:yeah: except I had an '05 V1

vseries, if you have the opportunity to drive both I would do so. Even though IMO for for most folks a short test drive will not really give you a sense of everday livability of the Recaros, you may be one of the few that can immediately tell if those seats aren't for you. It does come down to personal preference, not to mention how sensitive (and/or wide) your backside is. If you plan to track your car more than a couple of times, I'd go with the Recaros. If not, the standard seats should suit you just fine.

Good luck

CTS NV
12-03-09, 12:16 AM
Having lived with both, I can say the standard seats in the V2 are worlds better than the v1 seats. Interestingly, I thought the V1 seats looked better than they feel and the v2 seats feel better than they look.

BTW, I drove a loaner non-V CTS where the seats were horrendous, so don't make the mistake of comparing to those.

That said, the recaros are even better -- but you certainly pay a price.

vseries
12-03-09, 12:25 AM
Thanks guys for all your input it's very valuable.

CTS NV you bring up an excellent point as I didnt think the std seats were any different from a base CTS. I really gotta get my butt in some seats and it sounds like I really cant go wrong with either.

thebigjimsho
12-03-09, 01:24 AM
I thought the standard V2 seats were about the same as non-V seats. I wasn't a huge fan of the CTS standard seats but they weren't horrible.

I really liked the long-distance comfort of the V1 seats. I've taken my '04 on multiple cross-country trips, including a 25 state, 10,000 miler. But, yes, they weren't super supportive for the track.

The '09 Recaros are supremely supportive. I was nervous because my back was hurting after 3 hours. But after some tinkering, the next 27 hours were just fine. Are they as supremely comfortable as the '04s? Not quite. But they're still my overall favorite...

JFJr
12-03-09, 11:30 AM
Can't comment on the long drive part (only have a 40 min commute at worst)...but I think even the Recaros are better than the V1 (since the V2 rides smoother).I have taken several 3 and 4 hr. trips with the Recaro seats and find them totally comfortable. The back bolster is adjusted to give me good support and comfort where I need it most. As many others have said before, it takes time to get all the adjustments right, but it is worth the effort. There is no substitute for good support. I traded a 2005 CTS-V and the Recaro's are far, far superior to the 2005's seats. I even have a Recaro office chair, so I'm sold on the brand.

Bigron
12-03-09, 11:49 AM
I thought the standard V2 seats were about the same as non-V seats. I wasn't a huge fan of the CTS standard seats but they weren't horrible.

I really liked the long-distance comfort of the V1 seats. I've taken my '04 on multiple cross-country trips, including a 25 state, 10,000 miler. But, yes, they weren't super supportive for the track.

The '09 Recaros are supremely supportive. I was nervous because my back was hurting after 3 hours. But after some tinkering, the next 27 hours were just fine. Are they as supremely comfortable as the '04s? Not quite. But they're still my overall favorite...

Just wondering if you are a "bigger" guy?
I want to make sure when I sit in the seat I am not going to feel like I am trying to wear skinny jeans and a sz 42 sport jacket.
I like to be hugged, but not that tightly.

thebigjimsho
12-03-09, 12:35 PM
I want to make sure when I sit in the seat I am not going to feel like I am trying to wear skinny jeans and a sz 42 sport jacket.
I like to be hugged, but not that tightly.
Well, I drive a V2, so you know my penis is monstrous.

But, yeah, I'm 6'1 and in the upper 200lb range, so I'd say I qualify as "bigger"...

12-03-09, 01:37 PM

:bows:

thebigjimsho
12-03-09, 01:59 PM
:bows:
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/photos/Fresh_Hay.JPG http://www.douglloydphotography.com/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_9698/DIR_11267/ewe02.jpg

OldRoadDawg
12-03-09, 04:21 PM
A surveillance photo believed to have been taken somewhere in NY State of TBJS preparing to test the V2 prior to its availability to the public. :peeking:

That fact was not ascertained.

However, subject did in fact operate said V2, in addition to other Cadillac models, on the track in a manner suggesting he was in possession of a 'large pair'.

12-03-09, 07:28 PM
not meaning to direct the conversation away from the phallic, but a seating question came to mind. Has anyone noticed whether the Recaros provide any more or any less rear legroom in the V2's than the standard seats?

Since kids seem tend to keep growing, such things are important for some of us.......

thebigjimsho
12-04-09, 04:57 PM
not meaning to direct the conversation away from the phallic, but a seating question came to mind. Has anyone noticed whether the Recaros provide any more or any less rear legroom in the V2's than the standard seats?

Since kids seem tend to keep growing, such things are important for some of us.......
That I could not say. However, I was able to sit behind my brother with only headroom issues in the back seat. My brother is about an inch shorter than me. And is off a few pounds. I also had a friend who runs 6'5 320 riding shotgun last night and another who is 5'9 sitting behind him. No problems.

thebigjimsho
12-04-09, 04:58 PM
A surveillance photo believed to have been taken somewhere in NY State of TBJS preparing to test the V2 prior to its availability to the public. :peeking:

That fact was not ascertained.

However, subject did in fact operate said V2, in addition to other Cadillac models, on the track in a manner suggesting he was in possession of a 'large pair'.
You're killing me, Dave...

marktanner
12-05-09, 03:06 PM
Getting back to the subject of the seats, I had an '08 CTS with the heated and cooled leather seats, and I currently have an '09 V with Recaros. I've driven the base CTS seats, and have sat in the base V seats, so I believe I'm pretty qualified to comment on them. The base CTS seats are the same as the base V seats, except for the Alcantara inserts in the V, which softens the seat a bit more and helps give a bit more lateral support in the turns. My heated and cooled CTS seats were a bit harder and shallower, due to the cooling mechanism, and some people found this objectionable. There were threads on this subject in the past in the CTS forum.

As far as leg room in the rear goes, I feel that both seats provide the same space in the rear. The Recaros are larger, though, especially in the shoulders, so it might FEEL a bit tighter in the rear.

As far as comfort and support, IMHO there is no question that the Recaros are superior to the base V seats. I've taken long trips in both of my cars, and one in a base CTS loaner, too. When properly adjusted the Recaros provide superb comfort, even over long distances. I found that I only rarely had to fidget in the seat, or readjust the lumbar support, even after six hours or more behind the wheel. In my old car, I had to squirm or fidget every half hour or so to relieve pressure points, and I frequently readjusted the seat position and lumbar to help comfort. It wasn't a terrible seat, and it did do better after time as it "broke in" with my body, but it wasn't great. The Recaros are great, IMO. The lateral support in the Recaro is also vastly superior. When driving in on curving roads at a sporting pace, it's takes no effort to stay put in the seat, and you really feel connected to the car. With the base seats, you have to hold on to the wheel to keep from sliding, and it's much more tiring, not to mention less fun. BTW, I'm not tiny at 185 lb and a 42" chest, so I disagree that bigger people need the base seats (though I'm not huge, either).

Adjustments with both seats is critical to comfort, and with the Recaro even more so. All CTSs have thin shell seats, including the Recaro, and there is not much room for padding. The padding in the Recaro is VERY firm, but not hard, and there is no superficial padding to fill in the gaps. Therefore, if it's not adjusted properly, it can be uncomfortable. Further, with so many adjustments, it's easy to get it wrong, especially in the lumbar area. I've also found that the lumbar support and the upper lateral support act in a connected way around the flanks. I think it's fair to say that the Recaros are more difficult to achieve proper adjustment in than most seats, but once so adjusted, they are superb. Another issue with all CTSs is that the proper seating position is further back than it might initially appear, and that affects comfort, too. When one moves the seat back one to two inches, the shifter suddenly is placed properly, the armrest is useful, and the right knee no longer hits the center console uncomfortably. It kind of helps thigh support, too.

thebigjimsho
12-05-09, 08:55 PM
What's also nice about the Recaros, at least, over the V1 seats is that there isn't the hard plastic mold that the V1 seats had that interrupted kneeroom...