: right mirror inside switch illumination?

Bro-Ham
12-01-09, 10:51 PM
Is the inside dash mounted right-hand rearview mirror switch illuminated on the 79 Cadillacs? Mine is not lit and it looks like it should be. I hope it lights up since it's only natural that it should. :) :)

MudAnt
12-02-09, 02:22 AM
Is the inside dash mounted right-hand rearview mirror switch illuminated on the 79 Cadillacs? Mine is not lit and it looks like it should be. I hope it lights up since it's only natural that it should. :) :)

No light on my '86, though I agree it looks as though it should. I've thought about getting some tiny LEDs and putting them in there somehow

1980coupe
12-02-09, 06:02 AM

Mine is!! If you remove the radio bezel and then remove the switch and in the back of it, it has a hole for a light, like the ones found on the wiper, lights, and cruise switches with one exception all mentioned have a printed circuit to it so the light twists in and lights up, not the case with this one. When running your lights, I tapped into a light source and ran the wiring to it, so it illuminates like the other switches mentioned! I'll take a pic and post it!

Bro-Ham
12-02-09, 11:46 AM
Mine is!! If you remove the radio bezel and then remove the switch and in the back of it, it has a hole for a light, like the ones found on the wiper, lights, and cruise switches with one exception all mentioned have a printed circuit to it so the light twists in and lights up, not the case with this one. When running your lights, I tapped into a light source and ran the wiring to it, so it illuminates like the other switches mentioned! I'll take a pic and post it!

So it can be done?!? That's great! It didn't come from the factory with the switch illuminated though, right? I for sure want to get the lighting behind there now that it's dark outside so early. :)

1980coupe
12-02-09, 01:10 PM
So it can be done?!? That's great! It didn't come from the factory with the switch illuminated though, right? I for sure want to get the lighting behind there now that it's dark outside so early. :)

Yes, it can be done. I tried to take a photo of it last night but it would not show up on the camera screen and when I used the flash it was way to bright and you couldn't see it. No, it did not come from the factory with the swicth illuminated, but you can make it. If you need help to remove radio bezel let me know, I have removed mine plenty of times before and can guide you ☺
talk to you later

Bro-Ham
12-02-09, 01:30 PM
Thanks! I've removed the radio bezel on these 77+ cars a million times so I'm comfortable with that part. Just need some advice on where and how to get the wiring and lights in there and attaching it so it looks right. :)

77CDV
12-02-09, 03:02 PM
Or you could just flip on the map lights if you really need to see it that badly after dark.

Bro-Ham
12-02-09, 05:45 PM
Craig, The map lights by the right hand mirror control went away starting in 1979. I really, really like the map lights under the dash like your 1977 has and also the 1978's have. In 1979 there was a dome light with two map lights, like an Olds 98 had. Starting in 1980 the neat overhead console with maplights and optional garage door opener were housed. 1979 has the one year style layout...... :)

77CDV
12-02-09, 08:09 PM
That's right! I had forgotten they'd made that change for '79.

Bro-Ham
12-02-09, 09:29 PM
Probably not an easy retrofit to put in the cool 77-78 map lights. Makes me think of how much fun a 1977 Fleetwood Brougham would be... :) How's the weather in LA, Craig?

1980coupe
12-02-09, 10:57 PM
Thanks! I've removed the radio bezel on these 77+ cars a million times so I'm comfortable with that part. Just need some advice on where and how to get the wiring and lights in there and attaching it so it looks right. :)

I'll be glad to help you there. I'll look at mine again to see where I got the light source from and take some pics while I'm at it.:)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-03-09, 04:37 PM
The one in my '90 is lit from the factory. Its odd that they would make the older ones on translucent material but then fail to put a light behind it.

Bro-Ham
12-03-09, 05:00 PM
The one in my '90 is lit from the factory. Its odd that they would make the older ones on translucent material but then fail to put a light behind it.

Dirt, It looks really funny at night without the illumination - - like the light is burned out. It sounds like we'll get some guidance on this so I can get it to look as right as possible. :) Dave

77CDV
12-04-09, 02:31 AM
Probably not an easy retrofit to put in the cool 77-78 map lights. Makes me think of how much fun a 1977 Fleetwood Brougham would be... :) How's the weather in LA, Craig?

Sunny and cool days, cold clear nights. Rain expected next week.

Bro-Ham
12-04-09, 10:04 PM
cold rain here tonight - - like Minnesota on a cold October night... Need some right hand mirror illumination to brighten my dark nights! By the way, this cruddy weather will pass and we'll be back to warm and sunny. :) :)