: 180F or 195F Thermostat for 94 N*?

Twilightcall
08-06-04, 12:50 PM
It is almost time for my cooling system flush. I planned on changing the T-stat. I found out that they have 2 of them a 180 deg. F and a 195F. I thought the 195 would be the best as it was OEM rating. However, I was told to use the 180. Which would be the best choice. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ranger
08-08-04, 08:31 PM
I'd stick with what the factory spec'd. Smater guy's than us (I hope) put it in there for a reason.

peteski
08-10-04, 01:49 AM
I was told the same thing when I recently replaced the thermostat on my 93 N* engine.

Since my car used to run at about 205 degrees, I figured that it used a 190 thermostat.

The guy at the parts store told me that the parts list for that engine calls for a 180 deg. one.

So, that is what I bought. It is a Stant brand thermostat but it is the same as OEM one (I guess Stant makes them for GM).

Now my car usually runs at 196 deg. That is ok with me...

I guess the temperature on the thermostat is that of when it starts to open (not when it is fully open). So, the actual coolant temperature will be higher than what the thermostat rating is.

Peteski

chevyorange
04-23-05, 02:37 PM
OK - I just bought a 195F thermostat. Could using this over a 180 cause overheating at idle after a trip? I don't get hot while driving.

Spyder
04-23-05, 08:14 PM
The fans don't kick on till 228 or so...if its going to overheat, a 195 thermostat won't be the cause...You'll be fine!

chevyorange
04-23-05, 08:19 PM
OK - thanks. Check one thing off the list!

Adam

peteski
04-26-05, 10:13 PM
Hmm.. why do people insist on using parts different than what is recommended. If 180 is recommended and nothing is broken, why replace it with 195?

I don't get it... Especially on a weird cooling setup like the N* has - you should stick with the factory specified temperature.

I suppose that BBob is getting thred of answering this stuff, so he didn't chime in.

Peteski

chevyorange
04-26-05, 10:17 PM
I got 195 because I thought that was the stock from the factory. I read in a bbob post that it was.... otherwise, looks like I'm going back and replacing the damn thing!

eldorado1
04-26-05, 10:34 PM
Hmm.. why do people insist on using parts different than what is recommended. If 180 is recommended and nothing is broken, why replace it with 195?
Peteski

I think I have the stock 190 in there now. I specifically asked the person at autozone for a 180 degree, but they didn't even make them. :hmm:

chevyorange
04-26-05, 10:42 PM
Autozone, when I was there, showed 195 OEM and 180 as an "alternate". The original one I pulled out (I THINK it was original.. ) didn't have any of the typical markings on it, usually you see the temp stamped somewhere.

eldorado1
04-26-05, 10:53 PM
Autozone, when I was there, showed 195 OEM and 180 as an "alternate". The original one I pulled out (I THINK it was original.. ) didn't have any of the typical markings on it, usually you see the temp stamped somewhere.

Ahh, did a search on autozone. I guess the 180 was special order, and twice as much! Who spends $30 on a thermostat!?!

chevyorange
04-26-05, 10:56 PM
A Cadillac owner! hahaha

mcowden
04-26-05, 11:13 PM
The AC-Delco part number for the thermostat is 131-128. It does not include the replacement seal, so I would also order AC-Delco part number 12574478 for $3.51 and put a new seal on it at the same time. Total cost for new AC-Delco thermostat and seal: $14.xx plus shipping and tax.

There are three other options listed on rockauto.com. Stant part number 14228 includes the seal and goes for $11.46. Gates part number 33808 includes the seal and goes for $13.07. Stant part number 35228 includes the seal and goes for $11.46. The difference between the two Stant thermostats appears to just be the packaging. The latter is intended for retail sale on a shelf. The former is probably boxed behind a parts counter. There is no indication of the temperature ratings for these parts.

If it was my decision, and I have done this in the past, I would go with the AC-Delco thermostat. I've compared them side-by-side with aftermarket stats and the AC-Delco is clearly more robust. I'm sure the Delco stat is the recommended temperature rating, and I wouldn't want to deviate from that. I've been given incorrect advice and recommendations from AutoZone before, so I look these things up before buying anything. AZ doesn't stock many AC-Delco parts for the Caddies as far as I can tell, so I've resorted to online retailers or small local shops.

May or may not help, just wanted to put my 2 cents in there. Good luck...

eldorado1
04-27-05, 12:53 PM
I've compared them side-by-side with aftermarket stats and the AC-Delco is clearly more robust.

That's one thing that made me hesitant to putting in the autozone one - it was a really cheap flimsy stamped metal construction. I really don't expect it to last long before collapsing.

mcowden
04-27-05, 01:36 PM
That's one thing that made me hesitant to putting in the autozone one - it was a really cheap flimsy stamped metal construction. I really don't expect it to last long before collapsing.

OK, OK, I'll admit it: I did install one of the AutoZone aftermarket specials. It seemed to open a little early because it took a while to heat it up in the cold months. I replaced it with the AC-Delco and now it heats up fine and the temp normally hovers around 205-207 on the highway. From now on, I won't use anything but the AC-Delco thermostat. It's far more beefy than the others and is clearly a better-engineered and better-manufactured product.

maydog
04-27-05, 05:24 PM
I threw in a 180 stat years ago, it did not change my operating temps much at all. I would stick with a 195 as was intended.

growe3
05-01-05, 11:54 AM
The Stant 14228 is a 180 degree thermostat, it is the same temperature range as original and will work just fine.

I have Stant thermostats in both of my 93 STS's and they hold the temperature just fine. Light load in cool weather the temperature hovers at 196, hotter weather the engine will run about 212 or so. In hot weather, AC on and stuck in traffic, the temps will normally stay below 228 degrees.

As weather and driving conditions vary greatly, the temps will of course vary, but the Stant 14228 thermostat is the correct style and works in the correct heat range for the Northstar.

Using the correct heat range will avoid excess heat cycling to the engine.

-George