: It's a dog gone shame....

Pages : [1] 2

1964CoupeDeville
12-01-09, 08:01 PM
But it looks like my 64' has to go. It was great while it lasted but its time is over.... I guess my only option is to sell it. I'll always remember it....
YouTube- View of my 1964 Cadillac Coupe Deville
This was it before the body work. I'm not even sure if it runs anymore after 2 1/2 months of neglect....

05devilledave
12-01-09, 08:08 PM
What state do you live in? Id love to snag up that 64 and get her cruisin again.

1964CoupeDeville
12-01-09, 08:15 PM
What state do you live in? Id love to snag up that 64 and get her cruisin again.

California, trust me though, now she's in far better condition. It's worth a good bit.

Stingroo
12-01-09, 08:19 PM
How is it neglect? I thought it was in the shop...

1964CoupeDeville
12-01-09, 08:29 PM
How is it neglect? I thought it was in the shop...

Sitting in a warehouse without running is basically neglect.

05devilledave
12-01-09, 08:31 PM
Too bad its so far away, I am in kansas. If it were 1-2 states away I might could swing it, but otherwise not. Too bad. My next project will either be an early 60s Caddy, or a 58-59 Caddy.

1964CoupeDeville
12-01-09, 08:35 PM
Too bad its so far away, I am in kansas. If it were 1-2 states away I might could swing it, but otherwise not. Too bad. My next project will either be an early 60s Caddy, or a 58-59 Caddy.

This would be the easiest project ever. Just detailing.

Stingroo
12-01-09, 09:01 PM
So why give up on it? Take it back, get a refund from the "shop" and have someone else do it. That seems like an awfully big waste of time to me...

1964CoupeDeville
12-01-09, 09:09 PM
So why give up on it? Take it back, get a refund from the "shop" and have someone else do it. That seems like an awfully big waste of time to me...

Well, they have done things. It's almost ready to paint, it's just the guy they hired is MIA

Bro-Ham
12-01-09, 09:29 PM
boo hoo. put your big boy pants on, fix your car, enjoy it, and live your life. :)

bicentennialcadillac
12-01-09, 09:45 PM
I don't see the problem here.

1964CoupeDeville
12-01-09, 09:46 PM
No being polite?

bicentennialcadillac
12-01-09, 09:50 PM
2 months in storage is nothing in terms of the car's future viability.

Are they refusing to refund your money? If not, you are in pieces over nothing.

greencadillacmatt
12-01-09, 10:02 PM
I don't think they are trying to be unpleasant. It's just with the information provided (hardly any) it seems like you are getting rid of it for no reason. We aren't against you selling it, just wondering why. Which prompts me to ask:
What is the exact reason you need to sell it? If it still runs (or doesn't) take it to another shop and have them finish it. You live in California! There are about 1.3 Billion car shops out there! Get her back and drive her!

05devilledave
12-01-09, 10:06 PM
Give the guy a break. Things have not gone the way he may have wanted, and now he has lost interest, I think he has a legal right to lose interest in something and move on. You may not think it to be a logical move, but its his car. Id rather see a guy who has a die hard love for Cadillacs get this thing and bring her back to her glory days. If he doesn't have the gumption to do it, why let it rust into oblivion when another person could put their heart and soul into it and make her shine?

1964CoupeDeville
12-01-09, 10:09 PM
I don't think they are trying to be unpleasant. It's just with the information provided (hardly any) it seems like you are getting rid of it for no reason. We aren't against you selling it, just wondering why. Which prompts me to ask:
What is the exact reason you need to sell it? If it still runs (or doesn't) take it to another shop and have them finish it. You live in California! There are about 1.3 Billion car shops out there! Get her back and drive her!

Gas can go bad in 1 month. For all I know the gas tank could be destroyed

sven914
12-01-09, 10:14 PM
Just so I understand... Your car's been in the shop for two months, and most of the body work is done, but the dude who was supposed to do the paint stopped showing up for work, so you're going to sell the car because it was neglected.

Is it neglected because it's not running? If thats the case, the battery is probably dead and the gas has turned to kerosene. Change the battery and pump out the bad gas and the car won't be neglected.

Or is it neglected because it's not finished? If thats the case have another shop finish the work.

Stingroo
12-01-09, 10:17 PM
Just so I understand... Your car's been in the shop for two months, and most of the body work is done, but the dude who was supposed to do the paint stopped showing up for work, so you're going to sell the car because it was neglected.

Is it neglected because it's not running? If thats the case, the battery is probably dead and the gas has turned to kerosene. Change the battery and pump out the bad gas and the car won't be neglected.

Or is it neglected because it's not finished? If thats the case have another shop finish the work.

There you go. Sven ftw.

robb257731
12-02-09, 09:12 AM
Talk about over dramatizing the issue.

outsider
12-02-09, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't sell the car if this happened to me. I would just pay the body shop for the work they did, maybe try to get a discount on it due to the fact that it took much longer than originally quoted and the car was neglected (you can probably sue for damages if the engine is damaged as a result), and move on to the next shop to do the spraying...Any other shop should be able to have it sprayed in a day or two...Hell even Macco would be a viable option if all you need is spray.

jayoldschool
12-02-09, 09:57 AM
Gas can go bad in 1 month. For all I know the gas tank could be destroyed

The tank will not be destroyed. My cars sit for six months, and they fire up every spring. I'm with Bro-Ham... MAN UP! Go to the shop, and arrange to get your car finished. Or, get it to another shop. If you really want to sell it, don't blame it on the shop. I've had cars at shops much longer than this...

1964CoupeDeville
12-02-09, 10:37 AM
The tank will not be destroyed. My cars sit for six months, and they fire up every spring. I'm with Bro-Ham... MAN UP! Go to the shop, and arrange to get your car finished. Or, get it to another shop. If you really want to sell it, don't blame it on the shop. I've had cars at shops much longer than this...

2 1/2 months plus the 3 weeks earlier this summer for the interior?

robb257731
12-02-09, 11:42 AM
Coupe...listen, it's not that big of a deal. If you want something done right, it takes time. We all 'want what we want when we want it' but that's not always realistic. You've taken a car to a shop that likely has other customers, and things get done in due time. You'll learn this as you get older. Trust me, I've been there.

If you're not happy with the time it's taking, go in there, pay for the work that's been done, and take the car somewhere else. Chances are, if you show up and say "look, if this thing isn't done in a week, I'm taking my car elsewhere because I want it on the road and it's not my problem that your paint guy is MIA" they'll probably magically have it done in short order.

outsider
12-02-09, 11:57 AM
Coupe...listen, it's not that big of a deal. If you want something done right, it takes time. We all 'want what we want when we want it' but that's not always realistic. You've taken a car to a shop that likely has other customers, and things get done in due time. You'll learn this as you get older. Trust me, I've been there.

If you're not happy with the time it's taking, go in there, pay for the work that's been done, and take the car somewhere else. Chances are, if you show up and say "look, if this thing isn't done in a week, I'm taking my car elsewhere because I want it on the road and it's not my problem that your paint guy is MIA" they'll probably magically have it done in short order.

This is true, it's amazing how far places will go to make their customers happy. Mostly because they live on word-of-mouth referrals so if their customers aren't happy they get no new customers coming in. Talk to them man to man and I'm sure they'll do something to "make it right" with you. But please...pleeeeeeeease...don't give up on your car! Ship it to me and I'll paint it for you ;)

jayoldschool
12-02-09, 12:51 PM
Letting project cars sit is part of the life of a car hobbyist. I have gone a couple of YEARS without moving or working on a car. You know my 81 Coupe? After I bought it, it sat in storage in a barn for 18 months before I brought it home...

77CDV
12-02-09, 01:58 PM
I'll have to go with Jay and Sven on this. My '69 FWB spent the first four months of my ownership in the shop for a boatload of mechanical repairs due mainly to real neglect and years of deferred maintanence. It would have been less expensive to do it all myself, of course, but as I have neither the time nor the space to work on the car properly, I'll help fuel the economy buy paying someone else to do it. The car now runs like new, and I've spent the past year just driving it as is (and recharging the bank account for the assault on the body work, paint, and interior in 2010).

Go to the shop, sit down with the owner/manager, and explain politely but firmly, that you understand they have personnel problems, but if it prevents them from finishing the car, you'll pay them for the work they have done and take the car elsewhere to be finished. No drama, no histrionics, just plain business.

Now, if you've lost interest in the car, or it's become financially untenable for you to complete, then I understand and support your decision to sell. Barring that, I really can't see why you would after taking it this far.

Let us know how things turn out.

Craig

1964CoupeDeville
12-02-09, 02:15 PM
I'll have to go with Jay and Sven on this. My '69 FWB spent the first four months of my ownership in the shop for a boatload of mechanical repairs due mainly to real neglect and years of deferred maintanence. It would have been less expensive to do it all myself, of course, but as I have neither the time nor the space to work on the car properly, I'll help fuel the economy buy paying someone else to do it. The car now runs like new, and I've spent the past year just driving it as is (and recharging the bank account for the assault on the body work, paint, and interior in 2010).

Go to the shop, sit down with the owner/manager, and explain politely but firmly, that you understand they have personnel problems, but if it prevents them from finishing the car, you'll pay them for the work they have done and take the car elsewhere to be finished. No drama, no histrionics, just plain business.

Now, if you've lost interest in the car, or it's become financially untenable for you to complete, then I understand and support your decision to sell. Barring that, I really can't see why you would after taking it this far.

Let us know how things turn out.

Craig
I've actually done that. We're back on track because they've hired another guy to work on it. They still give an estimated time of 1 month (which in shop years means 3) for all the extra shit I asked for. (Carpets, trunk, dash panel which I have, and the upholstery on my arm rests). They also still haven't done the side skirts or the massive gash on the door yet which I find pretty unfavorable.

jayoldschool
12-02-09, 02:22 PM
Why don't you let them only do the work you can't do yourself?

1964CoupeDeville
12-02-09, 02:25 PM
Why don't you let them only do the work you can't do yourself?

I have zero tools. I can't do anything at all. The only thing I can do is wash the car which isn't easy with a Vinyl top.

cadillac_al
12-02-09, 02:44 PM
That's the life of a body man. Two out of three body shops I know of are slower than death on stilts. One of my friends who has a shop will purposely let a car sit for two weeks before he will even walk near it. I don't quite understand it myself because the faster you get them out the faster you get paid but body shops are funny that way. I'm on an Oldsmobile Cutlass forum and a guy was getting a very very nice paint job on his car but it took 6 months longer than expected because the painter only came to work when he felt like it. When it was finally done it was better than when it was new. Body shops are funny that way.

Collision repair is completely different. They can slap a hood, fender and bumper cover on before lunch and have it painted by 5.

1964CoupeDeville
12-02-09, 02:47 PM
That's the life of a body man. Two out of three body shops I know of are slower than death on stilts. One of my friends who has a shop will purposely let a car sit for two weeks before he will even walk near it. I don't quite understand it myself because the faster you get them out the faster you get paid but body shops are funny that way. I'm on an Oldsmobile Cutlass forum and a guy was getting a very very nice paint job on his car but it took 6 months longer than expected because the painter only came to work when he felt like it. When it was finally done it was better than when it was new. Body shops are funny that way.

Collision repair is completely different. They can slap a hood, fender and bumper cover on before lunch and have it painted by 5.

I'm getting it original color. I made a joke with the guy, I said "hey, if this car stays here any longer it might become your mascot"

outsider
12-02-09, 03:04 PM
glad you got it all worked out. It would be a shame to let the car go over something as small as time. I know, it sucks having no tools or workspace of your own. I'm lucky enough that my girlfriend's father lives not far from us and he has all of the tools and know-how to help me with anything I need to do :D

1964CoupeDeville
12-02-09, 03:08 PM
glad you got it all worked out. It would be a shame to let the car go over something as small as time. I know, it sucks having no tools or workspace of your own. I'm lucky enough that my girlfriend's father lives not far from us and he has all of the tools and know-how to help me with anything I need to do :D

I can always hire professionals. I pray the car still runs when I get it back.........

77CDV
12-02-09, 07:13 PM
It will. The 429 is really resilient, and sitting for awhile won't hurt it. Besides, as soon as you get it back, you can drive the hell out of it on the pretext that you need to burn off all that old gas! :)

1964CoupeDeville
12-02-09, 07:36 PM
It will. The 429 is really resilient, and sitting for awhile won't hurt it. Besides, as soon as you get it back, you can drive the hell out of it on the pretext that you need to burn off all that old gas! :)

I'll take you up on that one matey. I drive like an old lady. This car will be fine. It's been a daily driver for 45 years after all.

1964CoupeDeville
12-04-09, 07:11 PM
Car is in good to excellent condition, plenty of rare trimmings and body metal. Came off newly painted car. Contact me if you need any parts for your 1964 or similar year project. The car appears to be running but I am not sure. It was left for several months in a garage without being run and it has a good interior, perfect if you want some rare bench seats. Seats are upholstered with cheap and shoddy Vinyl making them valueless, but perhaps you can strip down and reupholster?

Note: If there are no takers this newly restored baby is going to the crusher and I'll take a video of it as it gets crushed and put it on Youtube.

sven914
12-04-09, 07:44 PM
:wtf: is your problem?! Seriously, What The F**k?

They can't find some dude to paint the car, so you crush it. It hasn't run for 2 months, and you don't even want to try to find out if it'll start, so you're going to crush it.

The least you can do is try to sell it whole, instead of sending it piece by piece thought the mail, and then crushing what ever is left. That car is 46 years old and still drivable, but because you don't want it anymore, so you're going to completely destroy it. And if no one needs the parts, because as you "proudly" said, you have the oldest Cadillac on the forum, you'll destroy them too!

I'll take the entire car for $200.

Bro-Ham
12-04-09, 07:50 PM
It's time to press the ignore button for this nutter who is trying so hard to get attention. It all seems pretty fishy to me anyway and I'm done taking the bait.

1964CoupeDeville
12-04-09, 07:51 PM
:wtf: is your problem?! Seriously, What The F**k?

They can't find some dude to paint the car, so you crush it. It hasn't run for 2 months, and you don't even want to try to find out if it'll start, so you're going to crush it.

The least you can do is try to sell it whole, instead of sending it piece by piece thought the mail, and then crushing what ever is left. That car is 46 years old and still drivable, but because you don't want it anymore, so you're going to completely destroy it. And if no one needs the parts, because as you "proudly" said, you have the oldest Cadillac on the forum, you'll destroy them too!

I'll take the entire car for $200.

With Vinyl instead of leather seats that's probably as much as it's worth.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-04-09, 07:58 PM
Are you bipolar or just some teen stranded in a lonely, lonely sad world?

Stingroo
12-04-09, 09:49 PM
Okay... I normally LIKE kids my age getting into cars like this, but really?

Please, just go. Something tells me this isn't even your car. Vinyl instead of leather making it worth only $200? Please, get real. IF you do own the car, you don't, and definitely never appeared to, deserve it. And yet you hunt for other classics constantly. I'm a nice person and all, but you're full of shit. Like really. There aren't words to describe how moronic this is in the English language, and I would know -- I'm an English major. Just... really. Go.

I hope whoever REALLY owns the car in that video isn't as boneheaded as you.

77CDV
12-04-09, 10:36 PM
I'm sure he's having a bit of a joke and is not serious. At least, I dearly hope not, because it would be a very foolish thing to do.

1964CoupeDeville
12-05-09, 12:23 AM
Okay... I normally LIKE kids my age getting into cars like this, but really?

Please, just go. Something tells me this isn't even your car. Vinyl instead of leather making it worth only $200? Please, get real. IF you do own the car, you don't, and definitely never appeared to, deserve it. And yet you hunt for other classics constantly. I'm a nice person and all, but you're full of shit. Like really. There aren't words to describe how moronic this is in the English language, and I would know -- I'm an English major. Just... really. Go.

I hope whoever REALLY owns the car in that video isn't as boneheaded as you.
Would you be scared if I showed you the title to my car? Let me get my picture up here.....
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d28/Bowserfire/Owned-1.jpg

Listen.... I don't actually hate the car. I am not really going to scrap it but let me explain my circumstance... You see... I genuinely love the car and, although it may not seem it, I could never let it go. The only reason I look for other cars is because I'm unfaithful. When she is away in the body shop I always look for other beauties to take her place and so I do deserve to be mocked for my unfaithfulness..

Sorry if I seemed to be a jackass it's just this much time away from my love really hurts, I love than car more than my fiance shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh though ;]

Oh, and I'm the one who did the video of the car and I've paid for my car, every cent of it. I even paid for most of the work (still owe money for the interior though).

PS: I'm not stupid, I'll take down this picture later.

Aron9000
12-05-09, 12:53 AM
Dude, if you've just lost interest in the car, sell it to somebody else who can do a proper restoration. It looks to be in pretty decent shape from the pictures, I didn't see any major rust on it.

I know people who have spent YEARS restoring old cars, so GTFO about your whiney shit about the car being at the body shop for six weeks.

1964CoupeDeville
12-05-09, 12:59 AM
Dude, if you've just lost interest in the car, sell it to somebody else who can do a proper restoration. It looks to be in pretty decent shape from the pictures, I didn't see any major rust on it.

I know people who have spent YEARS restoring old cars, so GTFO about your whiney shit about the car being at the body shop for six weeks.

it's 11 weeks actually. And read my explanation.

sven914
12-05-09, 01:14 AM
Would you be scared if I showed you the title to my car? Let me get my picture up here

PS: I'm not stupid, I'll take down this picture later.

Got your identity :thumbsup:

Relatives: Sharee D Robinson (58) Stuart M Robinson (65+)

Phone: Hayward exchange 3335

And here's his house (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=29216+Bowhill+Rd+Hayward+Ca&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=il). You can see it on street view.

Stingroo
12-05-09, 01:46 AM
Eleven weeks =/= years.

And lol Sven. That's just wrong. xD

csbuckn
12-05-09, 01:49 AM
better delete that pic...well, too late

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-05-09, 01:58 AM
The only thing dumber than your initial post was the fact you put your title on the Internet. Nice job Sherlock. What's next, are you gonna solve the Tiger Woods case? Maybe tell us where Jimmy Hoffa's body is buried?

Stingroo
12-05-09, 01:59 AM
Jonas covered that one in the Lounge.

He can drive a ball 400 yards, but not a car.

greencadillacmatt
12-05-09, 02:06 AM
And Jimmy Hoffa's body is still rattling around my trunk, thank you very much.

1964CoupeDeville
12-05-09, 02:35 AM
Jonas covered that one in the Lounge.

He can drive a ball 400 yards, but not a car.

Now this is getting personal. I came her to make an apology for past actions but if all of you wish to forge a problem then so be it. So Iago, will you stop playing the villain.

eldorado99
12-05-09, 03:04 AM
Now this is getting personal. I came her to make an apology for past actions but if all of you wish to forge a problem then so be it. So Iago, will you stop playing the villain.

He was talking about Tiger Woods...

This is a very weird, weird situation.

I don't know what to say man except you are making everything way to dramatic, just calm down, everything is gonna be ok.:chill:

csbuckn
12-05-09, 03:21 AM
I think you should pick a direction with the car and stick to it. A car can take years to restore so 2 months is just the beginning. You see you have the oldest car on here so these cars are not gonna be here forever. Plus you said that the work isnt paid for yet, so even if it was done, you wouldnt be able to get it out the shop. Take a jumper down to the shop, start it, drive it, fall in love again and keep it moving. And thats probably the nicest post your gonna get on this thread

eldorado99
12-05-09, 03:41 AM
I think you should pick a direction with the car and stick to it. A car can take years to restore so 2 months is just the beginning. You see you have the oldest car on here so these cars are not gonna be here forever. Plus you said that the work isnt paid for yet, so even if it was done, you wouldnt be able to get it out the shop. Take a jumper down to the shop, start it, drive it, fall in love again and keep it moving. And thats probably the nicest post your gonna get on this thread

^^ Post of the thread award! ^^

I've been restoring mine since '05 and I don't think it will ever be done!

1964CoupeDeville
12-05-09, 11:16 AM

I'm assuming you didn't read the post I made in the middle of the topic....

sven914
12-05-09, 02:17 PM
And Jimmy Hoffa's body is still rattling around my trunk, thank you very much.

My grandfather used to work for Hoffa.

Back in 75, they were still building the Meadowlands Sports Complex in Rutherford N.J (just outside of Hackensack). The Meadowlands was a swampy wet land before they built on it, so there was a lot of sand fill that was brought in for the construction. Hoffa is buried in the sand under the Meadowlands; not necessarily under Giant Stadium like everyone says, but somewhere deep under the complex.

outsider
12-05-09, 02:53 PM
:( RIP 64 caddy :'( :'(

I'll give you $500 for it and another $500 to ship it to me. ;)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-05-09, 03:19 PM
Sven, how big is Hackensack NJ? A fairly large town?

sven914
12-05-09, 03:29 PM
Sven, how big is Hackensack NJ? A fairly large town?

It's a small city, about 43,000 people.

1964CoupeDeville
12-05-09, 04:12 PM
:( RIP 64 caddy :'( :'(

I'll give you $500 for it and another $500 to ship it to me. ;)

I am not really going to scrap it. I just learned the body shop has asked 4 different people to do the car and none of them have.

77CDV
12-05-09, 04:24 PM

I agree that it's getting personal, which is uncalled-for, but to be fair, you did largely bring it on yourself. I understand your frustration at the ssssssslllllllllooooowwwww pace of the paint and body work and the funk that goes with being separated from the car. My '77 is in remote storage because I don't have enough room here at home. It really bums me out! I hate having to work around the storage facility's schedule everytime I want to take her out, and having to take her back and lock her away again is almost physically painful. But, I need the '69 here at home because it needs the work and so I need it close so I can work on it. The '77 needs very little, if anything, so having it here is not crucial. But, once the '69 is done (crosses fingers), I'll modify the garage so both older cars can fit, and the newer cars can rough it in the driveway.

Your '64 will be back in action soon, and you'll find that the wait was worth it.

Craig

1964CoupeDeville
12-05-09, 04:28 PM
I agree that it's getting personal, which is uncalled-for, but to be fair, you did largely bring it on yourself. I understand your frustration at the ssssssslllllllllooooowwwww pace of the paint and body work and the funk that goes with being separated from the car. My '77 is in remote storage because I don't have enough room here at home. It really bums me out! I hate having to work around the storage facility's schedule everytime I want to take her out, and having to take her back and lock her away again is almost physically painful. But, I need the '69 here at home because it needs the work and so I need it close so I can work on it. The '77 needs very little, if anything, so having it here is not crucial. But, once the '69 is done (crosses fingers), I'll modify the garage so both older cars can fit, and the newer cars can rough it in the driveway.

Your '64 will be back in action soon, and you'll find that the wait was worth it.

Craig

That reminds me I need to buy a car cover.... But yeah I did act like an ******* but seriously though, the owner of the shop asked 4 different guys, all of which who agreed, but something happened to all of them..... It's just impossible lol....

77CDV
12-05-09, 04:37 PM
When restoring a car, NOTHING is impossible. I mean that in both a good and bad way.

1964CoupeDeville
12-05-09, 04:50 PM
When restoring a car, NOTHING is impossible. I mean that in both a good and bad way.

Wait, did they just fuse that topic into this one?

jayoldschool
12-05-09, 05:43 PM
Yes. You get one official whining topic. Be happy we are putting up with this one.

HAZZARDJOHN
12-05-09, 05:43 PM
Wow, I think this is the wierdest thread I have ever read. Dude the car will be fine, The gas will be fine, My Cadillac gets less than 1500 Miles a year put on it, and it has sat in storage for 8 Years before I inherited it in 2000 (my grandfather couldn't drive but he loved having a car). Changed the fluids, added some fresh gas and Bam Fired right up with no issues. Ten years later it is once again sitting cause their is salt on the ground. Every year it sits from November to April. It is still the best running vehicle I own.

And as far as how long it is taking, let me tell you, Patience is a Virtue. With a classic like that I would be more nervous if they got it done quickly. This is not a 98 ford escort. Hell you're lucky you found a shop that would even touch it. I know a lot of Body shop owners (used to be in the parts business) and about 3/4's of them won't touch anything older than twenty years old. They usually have latent issues. the customers tend to be pickier and the bill almost always doubles the estimate do to the latent hidden issues (I am budgeting 12 Grand for my Resto, and my body man quoted me 5K if there are no surprises). Then you get the guy who can't afford the additional work so the car ends up taking up space in his shop while the owner saves more money. There is the old saying to, I do things Good, Fast, and Cheap, Pick any two.

The meat and potatoes of the Body shop biz is from fixing mom's Minivan after she hit a deer. Not classic car restorations.

My opinion, Find a local car club, join, become active and learn. You seem like you are not quite ready to be playing pro ball yet.

~HJ

1964CoupeDeville
12-05-09, 06:25 PM
Yes. You get one official whining topic. Be happy we are putting up with this one.

Thanks, I love my whining topic. Hey, it does belong in this forum though.

1964CoupeDeville
12-05-09, 08:05 PM
Wow, I think this is the wierdest thread I have ever read. Dude the car will be fine, The gas will be fine, My Cadillac gets less than 1500 Miles a year put on it, and it has sat in storage for 8 Years before I inherited it in 2000 (my grandfather couldn't drive but he loved having a car). Changed the fluids, added some fresh gas and Bam Fired right up with no issues. Ten years later it is once again sitting cause their is salt on the ground. Every year it sits from November to April. It is still the best running vehicle I own.

And as far as how long it is taking, let me tell you, Patience is a Virtue. With a classic like that I would be more nervous if they got it done quickly. This is not a 98 ford escort. Hell you're lucky you found a shop that would even touch it. I know a lot of Body shop owners (used to be in the parts business) and about 3/4's of them won't touch anything older than twenty years old. They usually have latent issues. the customers tend to be pickier and the bill almost always doubles the estimate do to the latent hidden issues (I am budgeting 12 Grand for my Resto, and my body man quoted me 5K if there are no surprises). Then you get the guy who can't afford the additional work so the car ends up taking up space in his shop while the owner saves more money. There is the old saying to, I do things Good, Fast, and Cheap, Pick any two.

The meat and potatoes of the Body shop biz is from fixing mom's Minivan after she hit a deer. Not classic car restorations.

My opinion, Find a local car club, join, become active and learn. You seem like you are not quite ready to be playing pro ball yet.

~HJ

The guy doing my body work is a big time car guy. He had a guy with 30 years in GM working on it before he disappeared. They are more than capable.

jayoldschool
12-05-09, 09:44 PM
Hey, it does belong in this forum though.

Not if you keep talking about selling it or parting it out... ;)

1964CoupeDeville
12-05-09, 09:52 PM
Not if you keep talking about selling it or parting it out... ;)

Too true. It's just the emotion of waiting 3 months takes its toll.

Stingroo
12-05-09, 10:14 PM
Well, I can sympathize, except my situation is probably worse/just as bad. I've had possession of my car since I basically joined this forum, nearly six months. It sits in my driveway. I can look at it, touch it, sit in it, smell it, and lick it (if I ever decide to, LOL)... but can't drive it. Why? Because I can't afford to get it running yet. That's worse.

But I don't worry or get mad, because I know once I am able, it will get fixed, and fixed properly, and I can drive and enjoy my time, and maybe even stop off at Bro-Ham's for some beach cruising, or go to the next Old Town meet, or something else. It's why we join forums, to meet others with our common interest. It's part of the fun.

You at least have the means to get your vehicle ready now, so count yourself lucky and look on the bright side of things.

HAZZARDJOHN
12-05-09, 10:15 PM
The guy doing my body work is a big time car guy. He had a guy with 30 years in GM working on it before he disappeared. They are more than capable.

I never questioned his capabilities. I think you missed the point of my post. I was stating you need to calm down, its an old car, it will survive sitting, it should take a good amount of time for a quality paint job. Heck it took three months for my Old roadmaster to have a complete repaint and we still had to put all the trim back on ourselves when we got it back. I just think you are inexperienced and need to relax. You might be too emotional for the classic car game.

~HJ

1964CoupeDeville
12-05-09, 10:45 PM
Well, I can sympathize, except my situation is probably worse/just as bad. I've had possession of my car since I basically joined this forum, nearly six months. It sits in my driveway. I can look at it, touch it, sit in it, smell it, and lick it (if I ever decide to, LOL)... but can't drive it. Why? Because I can't afford to get it running yet. That's worse.

But I don't worry or get mad, because I know once I am able, it will get fixed, and fixed properly, and I can drive and enjoy my time, and maybe even stop off at Bro-Ham's for some beach cruising, or go to the next Old Town meet, or something else. It's why we join forums, to meet others with our common interest. It's part of the fun.

You at least have the means to get your vehicle ready now, so count yourself lucky and look on the bright side of things.

It's just rough waiting for such a beautiful car. It's my first after all. I've been through a lot with her...

Stingroo
12-05-09, 10:48 PM
This will be my first official car too, trust me, I feel you.

1964CoupeDeville
12-05-09, 10:53 PM
This will be my first official car too, trust me, I feel you.

Tell me your story.

Stingroo
12-05-09, 11:11 PM
Alright... be prepared for a long read; I like writing.

So... I've been around cars my entire life, especially GM cars. My dad is a master certified GM (and Mazda) service advisor, and former service manager of three different dealerships; a Buick/Pontiac/GMC franchise, a Chevrolet dealership, and a Cadillac dealership. So I've seen and know a fair bit, but not everything. I've always been a really smart kid, and my family has always had dreams of sending me off to college, etc. etc. but they've never had the money to save to pay for it. I didn't work during high school because I kept a fairly high course load of Honors and AP courses, and after high school the economy has tanked, so I couldn't find any sort of job during school.

My father was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005. The dealership he was working at put him on their disability plan, and he's also on federal disability. I was getting checks too, like $650 a month, while I was in high school, but since I had no car, and no expenses other than my cell phone, I basically took $50 for myself, and gave the rest of the money to my parents, which they put into the house. My mother, if you're wondering, has a bad back, and had a hysterectomy during this time, so she can't officially work either, but doesn't qualify for disability to help our income any. Because of this, I took the bus during high school, and didn't really think much of it, because many people did (the high school I graduated from is a school of over 3500 students).

After graduating early, in January of '09, I figured I would find a job, work 7 or 8 months, and buy a car that way... but not so. All of the part time employment was pretty much dried up, and I couldn't work a full-time job, because I had no transportation. Quite the conundrum. Enter my uncle Rodney. He bought this '94 Fleetwood in 2004 from his cousin, who I don't know. I got to drive it once, when I was sixteen, and I fell in love with it. It was everything a car should be. Comfortable, smooth, powerful, and large (I'm a pretty big guy; about 240 pounds. I played football in school for two years before dropping that and focusing on my academics). I wanted it, and I told him if he ever wanted to sell it, that he should call me first, because I would do anything short of bank robbery to drive it.

Well, we currently live in one of his second houses, and dad helps him with his business part time for extra income, and one day he called and asked how I was. Dad told him about how good I had done in school, etc. etc. and he asked if I still had interest in his Cadillac. Dad said yes, because he knew I did, and Rodney told me that I could have it, but that it needed some work, possibly a head gasket. I said that was no problem, I could find a way. Well... dad told me it was a '96 DeVille.. and I didn't remember since it had been so long since I drove it last. I was excited. I had a vehicle. Granted, a non-running one, but a vehicle nonetheless. There was a chance things would be working out for me!

Just after this, I got an invitation to join the Honors college here at my school, Jacksonville University. I accepted and interviewed. I didn't get in, but they raised my scholarship amount from $13,000 to $18,000, bringing my total award to just over $36,000. The car arrived, and I saw it was a Fleetwood, not a DeVille. I nearly shit bricks. If you even look back on my older forum posts you can see from my tone how excited I was just to POSSIBLY be driving this thing. So I get up to school and get my refund check. I sent $500 down to my father to get it into the shop that a friend of his owns, and find out what was wrong with it. Unfortunately, some things happened around the house, and dad's car needed repair first, as it was our only running vehicle, so I told him to use the money for that and put my car on hold.

I get my next refund check in March, about $1,500. The refund is leftover money from my massive scholarship that isn't needed for school expenses. I'm even considering getting a student loan to get the car on the road, if I have to. I could take a $3000 loan, interest free from the government, not pay on it for 4 and a half years and get my car fixed and then some. Then once the car is fixed, I can greatly expand my employment prospects, and be good to go. As it is now, I'm finished EVERY DAY with my college classes before 12:00. I don't drink, and rarely party. I'm here on their money and their time, so I feel it's only fair to do what I have to first. It's just the waiting game until then.

There you go. I could go further into detail, but that's the gist of it.

77CDV
12-06-09, 12:26 AM
^Nominee for the Night Wolf Literary Award.

1964CoupeDeville
12-06-09, 01:21 AM
Alright... be prepared for a long read; I like writing.

So... I've been around cars my entire life, especially GM cars. My dad is a master certified GM (and Mazda) service advisor, and former service manager of three different dealerships; a Buick/Pontiac/GMC franchise, a Chevrolet dealership, and a Cadillac dealership. So I've seen and know a fair bit, but not everything. I've always been a really smart kid, and my family has always had dreams of sending me off to college, etc. etc. but they've never had the money to save to pay for it. I didn't work during high school because I kept a fairly high course load of Honors and AP courses, and after high school the economy has tanked, so I couldn't find any sort of job during school.

My father was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005. The dealership he was working at put him on their disability plan, and he's also on federal disability. I was getting checks too, like $650 a month, while I was in high school, but since I had no car, and no expenses other than my cell phone, I basically took $50 for myself, and gave the rest of the money to my parents, which they put into the house. My mother, if you're wondering, has a bad back, and had a hysterectomy during this time, so she can't officially work either, but doesn't qualify for disability to help our income any. Because of this, I took the bus during high school, and didn't really think much of it, because many people did (the high school I graduated from is a school of over 3500 students).

After graduating early, in January of '09, I figured I would find a job, work 7 or 8 months, and buy a car that way... but not so. All of the part time employment was pretty much dried up, and I couldn't work a full-time job, because I had no transportation. Quite the conundrum. Enter my uncle Rodney. He bought this '94 Fleetwood in 2004 from his cousin, who I don't know. I got to drive it once, when I was sixteen, and I fell in love with it. It was everything a car should be. Comfortable, smooth, powerful, and large (I'm a pretty big guy; about 240 pounds. I played football in school for two years before dropping that and focusing on my academics). I wanted it, and I told him if he ever wanted to sell it, that he should call me first, because I would do anything short of bank robbery to drive it.

Well, we currently live in one of his second houses, and dad helps him with his business part time for extra income, and one day he called and asked how I was. Dad told him about how good I had done in school, etc. etc. and he asked if I still had interest in his Cadillac. Dad said yes, because he knew I did, and Rodney told me that I could have it, but that it needed some work, possibly a head gasket. I said that was no problem, I could find a way. Well... dad told me it was a '96 DeVille.. and I didn't remember since it had been so long since I drove it last. I was excited. I had a vehicle. Granted, a non-running one, but a vehicle nonetheless. There was a chance things would be working out for me!

Just after this, I got an invitation to join the Honors college here at my school, Jacksonville University. I accepted and interviewed. I didn't get in, but they raised my scholarship amount from $13,000 to $18,000, bringing my total award to just over $36,000. The car arrived, and I saw it was a Fleetwood, not a DeVille. I nearly shit bricks. If you even look back on my older forum posts you can see from my tone how excited I was just to POSSIBLY be driving this thing. So I get up to school and get my refund check. I sent $500 down to my father to get it into the shop that a friend of his owns, and find out what was wrong with it. Unfortunately, some things happened around the house, and dad's car needed repair first, as it was our only running vehicle, so I told him to use the money for that and put my car on hold.

I get my next refund check in March, about $1,500. The refund is leftover money from my massive scholarship that isn't needed for school expenses. I'm even considering getting a student loan to get the car on the road, if I have to. I could take a $3000 loan, interest free from the government, not pay on it for 4 and a half years and get my car fixed and then some. Then once the car is fixed, I can greatly expand my employment prospects, and be good to go. As it is now, I'm finished EVERY DAY with my college classes before 12:00. I don't drink, and rarely party. I'm here on their money and their time, so I feel it's only fair to do what I have to first. It's just the waiting game until then.

There you go. I could go further into detail, but that's the gist of it.

Why would you put that much into fixing it? lol my 1964 Cadillac cost $2400 and it ran great.

Stingroo
12-06-09, 01:52 AM
I'm counting that money into registering it as well. Just to get a new tag is $470. Not to mention what insurance will be. I'm thinking to factor all of that in together, not just fixing it. I have very VERY little doubt that it'll be under $1000 to fix the car. Then for six months insurance in my name is about $1300, plus $500 to register = approx. $3k.

And since the car was free, 3k isn't too bad for an under-100k 94 Fleetwood.

And lol Craig... I like to write.; it's probably part of the reason why I'm an English major.

1964CoupeDeville
12-06-09, 02:11 AM
I'm counting that money into registering it as well. Just to get a new tag is $470. Not to mention what insurance will be. I'm thinking to factor all of that in together, not just fixing it. I have very VERY little doubt that it'll be under $1000 to fix the car. Then for six months insurance in my name is about $1300, plus $500 to register = approx. $3k.

And since the car was free, 3k isn't too bad for an under-100k 94 Fleetwood.

And lol Craig... I like to write.; it's probably part of the reason why I'm an English major.

You write well, I made the Iago reference just for you Stingroo btw. I myself am going to try to become a History teacher. Make children suffer.

Stingroo
12-06-09, 03:23 AM
I caught the reference, but they were right; I was referencing the Tiger Woods thing, not you. Apologies for my tone in this post, just that it sounded really ridiculous to crush such a nice looking car for a few months of frustration. Hope to see it finished. That can be your New Year's Resolution: be more patient and register your Cadillac.

...Mine too.

greencadillacmatt
12-06-09, 04:08 AM
Hey '64, don't feel too bad on waiting for the car. I know how it is as well. My '84 DeVille blew the head gasket (CURSE YOU HT4100!) over the summer, and like Sting said, I could go out and look at it, sit in it, and even lick it, but I can't drive it. It is a combination of me needing to finish the new engine for it, and waiting on saving enough cash to do the swap. I have run it twice in about 4 months, once to see if it would even start, and the second to put it in winter storage. The ride to storage was great and terrible at the same time. Great because I got to enjoy my car for even ten minutes, but terrible because of the mis-firing and the fact that it has to be shut away for 5-6 months. At least you don't have to worry about salty roads in Cali.

(Oh, and Sting, my little brother says that every post I make on here is a book. What you wrote up there was War And Peace... :))

Stingroo
12-06-09, 04:21 AM
Hahaha. Did he see the length of it? That's pretty funny.

You know, I've actually never read that book. Maybe I will someday.

1964CoupeDeville
12-06-09, 05:08 AM
Hahaha. Did he see the length of it? That's pretty funny.

You know, I've actually never read that book. Maybe I will someday.

I won't. I just got into a hissy fit about it. Oh and you should read that book, you are an English major and that is a very famous work of fiction...

77CDV
12-06-09, 08:25 PM
you should read that book, you are an English major and that is a very famous work of fiction...

It's also a major snooze-fest. I understand copious amounts of vodka make it more readable.:D

Stingroo
12-06-09, 08:33 PM
Too bad I don't drink; though I do enjoy copious amounts of various things.

(That's like, one of my catch phrases, so says almost anyone I know)

ga_etc
12-07-09, 12:36 AM
Why would you put that much into fixing it? lol my 1964 Cadillac cost $2400 and it ran great.

Did you really ask such a question? You have your car in the shop to be restored, when there is no telling what the final bill is going to be, and you are asking why he would spend $3000 to fix a '94 Fleetwood? I am going to go out on a limb here and say, because he has a genuine love for the car and REALLY needs and deserves a good running vehicle.

I don't know if it hit anyone else the same way, but I took that as a very smug, smartass question and gives further insight into your personality.

Stingroo
12-07-09, 02:12 AM
I kind of see that... but really, HALF of that $3k is registering and insurance. lol

Welcome to the suckiness of:
A. Living in Florida
B. Being under 25 and having male genitalia.

Insurance is not my friend. But really, the way I see it... even if I spent $2000 fixing it (which I doubt) I would come out ahead because:

1. A good condition Fleetwood is more expensive than that
2. A decent running used car is probably more expensive than that
3. I get a vehicle I want/like/enjoy/hasmoreleatherthanmycouch.

:)

ga_etc
12-07-09, 02:47 AM
I know that most of your expected expenses are planned to go to insurance and the like. His comment, though, struck me as arrogant. As if to say, why would you spend 3 grand to fix up a '94 when my '64 was only $2400 and ran great. Never mind the expenses to get it back to his assumed high standards. Most all used cars over 10 years old need some type of attention, be it mechanical or cosmetic.

Stingroo
12-07-09, 02:52 AM
This is true. Cosmetics don't really bother me though, as long as they don't affect safety. Thankfully, Florida is really lax with these things. As long as it's got an engine, a seatbelt, some wheels, and a means of steering, you can practically drive it.

Though, that said, if ever there IS a time I could really fix every blemish on the car, I would. It would be cool to have another one like ssstealth (I think that was his) and go 350k miles. What a fun load of miles that would be!

N0DIH
12-07-09, 08:16 AM
I've got E85 in my Fleetwood tank for 1.5 years now, no issues. Gas won't hurt the tank....not in 6 months! Water is the issue, not the fuel.

1964CoupeDeville
12-07-09, 10:33 AM
Did you really ask such a question? You have your car in the shop to be restored, when there is no telling what the final bill is going to be, and you are asking why he would spend $3000 to fix a '94 Fleetwood? I am going to go out on a limb here and say, because he has a genuine love for the car and REALLY needs and deserves a good running vehicle.

I don't know if it hit anyone else the same way, but I took that as a very smug, smartass question and gives further insight into your personality.

They actually quoted me before and it's already been paid off. They're just keeping it in there because they like the car? or maybe they're just slower than a snail tied to an oak tree......

I didn't mean it that insulting of a way, I just thought I'd throw that out there, lol that actually was a bit more than my interior job and vinyl top job. Sorry for any disrespect Stingroo. Hope you have luck with your car.

Stingroo
12-07-09, 11:03 AM
No no, it's cool; I didn't take it offensively, though it could have been construed that way. Thanks for the well wishes. We'll see all come together around late Feb. - Early March. I'm anxious!

1964CoupeDeville
12-07-09, 07:46 PM
No no, it's cool; I didn't take it offensively, though it could have been construed that way. Thanks for the well wishes. We'll see all come together around late Feb. - Early March. I'm anxious!

At this rate your car may beat mine to completion.

Stingroo
12-07-09, 08:16 PM
Probably will, as long as I can get my hands on the funds. :)

1964CoupeDeville
12-08-09, 10:58 PM
Probably will, as long as I can get my hands on the funds. :)

Wait, there's a guy actually starting to work on my Cadillac. There's hope I'll drive it yet.

Stingroo
12-08-09, 11:42 PM
Oh snap, you're ahead of me in the race! Mine, unfortunately, still sits in my driveway and is going to taunt me all Christmas break. lol

It'll be going to the shop in mid to late January, and I'll start paying on it in Feb.

1964CoupeDeville
12-09-09, 01:15 AM
Oh snap, you're ahead of me in the race! Mine, unfortunately, still sits in my driveway and is going to taunt me all Christmas break. lol

It'll be going to the shop in mid to late January, and I'll start paying on it in Feb.

My shop had better do a DAMN good job after all this time.

Stingroo
12-09-09, 01:58 AM
Time aside they better do a damn good job period. It's your money going into it. They owe it to you.

1964CoupeDeville
12-09-09, 03:33 AM
Time aside they better do a damn good job period. It's your money going into it. They owe it to you. I'm sure they will. He's hiring veterans to do the work after all. I just can't wait to cruise in my baby though. I just need the AC, the clock, the FM part of the radio, and the power seats working, I already have the clock and an extra radio.

robb257731
12-09-09, 09:01 AM
Are you bipolar or just some teen stranded in a lonely, lonely sad world?

HA HA HA, my sentiments exactly!

1964CoupeDeville
12-09-09, 01:27 PM
HA HA HA, my sentiments exactly!

Have you waited 3 months for a car before?

jayoldschool
12-09-09, 04:29 PM
Have you waited 3 months for a car before?

I would probably feel safe in saying almost every member in the RWD section has.

Stingroo
12-09-09, 04:47 PM
Probably, yeah... and most even longer. lol

1964CoupeDeville
12-09-09, 06:28 PM
Probably, yeah... and most even longer. lol

Update, they stopped working on my car. The guy they hired went AWOL because it's "too cold". At least he finally grinded down my door and put in Bondo (I hate how cheap these bastards are least they can do is use sheet metal after making the car wait 1 month. Hell, the car is using a massive amount of room up so they have no reason for being so sluggish)

jayoldschool
12-09-09, 07:12 PM
You better hope that Bondo isn't more than 1/4" thick. Bondo is not for fixing dents...

1964CoupeDeville
12-09-09, 07:34 PM
You better hope that Bondo isn't more than 1/4" thick. Bondo is not for fixing dents...

I don't even know what's taking them so long... I'll expect real quality

jayoldschool
12-09-09, 07:55 PM
You mean you aren't going to the shop every couple of days to keep an eye on things, and take pictures? If not, you are getting ready to get screwed.

Stingroo
12-09-09, 08:12 PM
Ehh... I think I'd agree with that statement. Especially as much of an originality stickler you are, I figured you'd been checking the car too. >_>

1964CoupeDeville
12-09-09, 08:18 PM
You mean you aren't going to the shop every couple of days to keep an eye on things, and take pictures? If not, you are getting ready to get screwed.

Did you read my earlier topic about the shop?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-09-09, 08:53 PM
Why do you trust the shop so much? Is it a family member or something that's working on it or owning the shop?

1964CoupeDeville
12-09-09, 09:18 PM
Why do you trust the shop so much? Is it a family member or something that's working on it or owning the shop?

The owner is a big time car guy. Owns the entire complex where he works out of. Has had Walter Cronkite and Robin Williams in his car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-09-09, 09:48 PM
The owner is a big time car guy. Owns the entire complex where he works out of. Has had Walter Cronkite and Robin Williams in his car.

Well it's good that he's a big time car guy, but (and I don't mean to sound rude, but rather a realist) he's been giving you one hell of a run-around. Obviously this guy has got some management problems or personnel issues if he's got such a turn around for technicians. I mean technicians going AWOL because it's cold?!?! WTF is that shit?? Either he's a lousy boss, hires the shadiest guys or is blowing smoke up your ass.

You've been way too patient with this place. You've got two choices now, either you assert yourself and tell him frankly that you're not satisfied and if this doesn't get done quick, you'll take it elsewhere. Or you just pull it out, pay the bill and tell anyone interested how much this shop blows. Make a big deal out of it. No business wants a pissed off customer, especially when they're loud. They'll do whatever it takes to keep you quiet and happy.

After spending four years of my life working in dealerships, I know how much an angry, loud customer can get things done, and quick.

What you want is a small-family owned shop. Big shops are great to draw people in with the big name, but many smaller shops will work harder, work quicker and provide a higher level of quality in an effort to make a name for themselves and steal customers from the big shops.

Best of luck, I'm pulling for you on this. Don't mean to sound like an a-hole, but at this point you gotta man up and get this thing done one way or another.

77CDV
12-10-09, 01:40 AM
^What Chad said.

Warren_R
12-10-09, 03:36 AM
^^ What Chad & Craig said ... as in enough is enough!

outsider
12-10-09, 09:01 AM
Yeah man, to be honest with you...if I can avoid leaving my car at a shop I'll stay there and watch them work. If I have to leave it (something like this) I call in or stop in to check on it as often as I can. Just to be sure nobody's wasting my money

1964CoupeDeville
12-10-09, 10:25 AM
Well it's good that he's a big time car guy, but (and I don't mean to sound rude, but rather a realist) he's been giving you one hell of a run-around. Obviously this guy has got some management problems or personnel issues if he's got such a turn around for technicians. I mean technicians going AWOL because it's cold?!?! WTF is that shit?? Either he's a lousy boss, hires the shadiest guys or is blowing smoke up your ass.

You've been way too patient with this place. You've got two choices now, either you assert yourself and tell him frankly that you're not satisfied and if this doesn't get done quick, you'll take it elsewhere. Or you just pull it out, pay the bill and tell anyone interested how much this shop blows. Make a big deal out of it. No business wants a pissed off customer, especially when they're loud. They'll do whatever it takes to keep you quiet and happy.

After spending four years of my life working in dealerships, I know how much an angry, loud customer can get things done, and quick.

What you want is a small-family owned shop. Big shops are great to draw people in with the big name, but many smaller shops will work harder, work quicker and provide a higher level of quality in an effort to make a name for themselves and steal customers from the big shops.

Best of luck, I'm pulling for you on this. Don't mean to sound like an a-hole, but at this point you gotta man up and get this thing done one way or another.

In the world of classic cars its always good to have allies if you need that elusive part. Making enemies could destroy your cars chances of being fixed.

Stingroo
12-10-09, 10:39 AM
You have everyone here for elusive part hunting help. There's enough guys here who know how to find stuff. It's not about "making enemies" it's about not getting screwed. I agree with Chad, personally. Besides, you live in California. There are probably hundreds of shops around. It could be cheaper to get the car towed (or drive it) to a shop a few cities away and actually get the work done.

If not, I guess you can stop at CVS and get a bottle of KY to ease the pain.

sven914
12-10-09, 05:13 PM
In the world of classic cars its always good to have allies if you need that elusive part. Making enemies could destroy your cars chances of being fixed.

Making yourself a priority is not making enemies.

If this shop is as big as you said it is, and has worked on all of these celebrity cars, then they have more important things to do. They think that because you're not up their ass, you don't care about the car and probably have something more interesting, so they're in no hurry.

If you go there and show them that you still care, are still committed, and will pay them when they're done, they might move faster. You don't have to be a**hole and start threatening to sue their balls to the walls if they don't finish this year, but showing them you're a little unhappy will not hurt. Another thing you can do is grease the wheels; offer to start paying them now.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-10-09, 06:19 PM

That's what we're for. CADILLACOWNERS.COM. This body shop isn't a friend or enemy, it's a business, and if they're not doing their job up to par, then you leave them and find a better business. They won't take it personal.

77CDV
12-10-09, 10:54 PM
There's an old business adage: We're here to make money, not to make friends.

eldorado99
12-11-09, 12:26 AM
Another thing you can do is grease the wheels; offer to start paying them now.

This. I brought in a 12 pack of beer for the guy the day after I dropped off my car and had a look at his progress. I had the car 2 days later and they did a great job.

1964CoupeDeville
12-11-09, 02:12 PM
Making yourself a priority is not making enemies.

If this shop is as big as you said it is, and has worked on all of these celebrity cars, then they have more important things to do. They think that because you're not up their ass, you don't care about the car and probably have something more interesting, so they're in no hurry.

If you go there and show them that you still care, are still committed, and will pay them when they're done, they might move faster. You don't have to be a**hole and start threatening to sue their balls to the walls if they don't finish this year, but showing them you're a little unhappy will not hurt. Another thing you can do is grease the wheels; offer to start paying them now.

I already do that by showing up every few days trust me. And I've already paid them the full amount they have a good amount of grease. To tell you the truth its just a bumper shop. He basically hires guys to work on it on contract (4 have been signed up all have not returned) so yes, this is more so unfortunate circumstance that being ripped off.

Stingroo
12-11-09, 02:22 PM
That's unfortunate, but too damn bad. Demand your money back, and move to a real shop. If he refuses, raise hell until he complies. Who gives a damn if it hurts his business? You PAID IN FULL and they have so far failed miserably to deliver.

1964CoupeDeville
12-11-09, 02:26 PM
That's unfortunate, but too damn bad. Demand your money back, and move to a real shop. If he refuses, raise hell until he complies. Who gives a damn if it hurts his business? You PAID IN FULL and they have so far failed miserably to deliver.

Most of the body shops in my area are low quality ghetto ones. They really have straightened my car out. Plus the fact they're taking so long is as bad for them as me. Remember, there's a land yacht taking up all the room in the back of their shop.

Stingroo
12-11-09, 03:43 PM
All I have to say to that is lol.

They love pushover customers too.

jayoldschool
12-11-09, 06:17 PM
And I've already paid them the full amount

Ah, the real problem has finally come out.

Stingroo
12-11-09, 06:54 PM
That's very true. Never pay for something like that fully in advance. Pardon my French, but they'll dick around with you forever if they already have the money. They don't give a rat's ass about the parking spot your car takes up. It's an investment. If the car is NEAR completion, it'll even serve as advertising. "Look what we did to this 45 year old Cadillac! Your car can look like this too!"

Demand that the car be finished before the new year, or you'll walk, and take them to court if necessary. It's that simple. There is no "nice person" in business. Why? They're all broke.

1964CoupeDeville
12-12-09, 12:44 AM
That's very true. Never pay for something like that fully in advance. Pardon my French, but they'll dick around with you forever if they already have the money. They don't give a rat's ass about the parking spot your car takes up. It's an investment. If the car is NEAR completion, it'll even serve as advertising. "Look what we did to this 45 year old Cadillac! Your car can look like this too!"

Demand that the car be finished before the new year, or you'll walk, and take them to court if necessary. It's that simple. There is no "nice person" in business. Why? They're all broke.

A car without a bumper or a paint job isnt very attractive and the car isn't even in plain sight

sven914
12-12-09, 01:34 AM
A car without a bumper or a paint job isnt very attractive and the car isn't even in plain sight

No, but they may be holding the restoration off for a big event or show.

Some big time restoration and custom body shops spend months restoring customer vehicles to get them ready for national car show events. If the vehicle wins an award, the the shop will send it on the car show circuit, where it will be featured at events nation wide. I'm sure this won't happen to your car, but it's a possibility.

A few years ago, there was television show called "Rides" on TLC. In one of the episodes, they featured a 1932 Ford being customized for Motocross rider Jeremey McGrath. It took them a year to do the work, and when it was finished, the shop sent the car for a 3 year tour of the united states before McGrafth was able to take it home.

1964CoupeDeville
12-12-09, 04:24 AM
No, but they may be holding the restoration off for a big event or show.

Some big time restoration and custom body shops spend months restoring customer vehicles to get them ready for national car show events. If the vehicle wins an award, the the shop will send it on the car show circuit, where it will be featured at events nation wide. I'm sure this won't happen to your car, but it's a possibility.

A few years ago, there was television show called "Rides" on TLC. In one of the episodes, they featured a 1932 Ford being customized for Motocross rider Jeremey McGrath. It took them a year to do the work, and when it was finished, the shop sent the car for a 3 year tour of the united states before McGrafth was able to take it home.

Hey, if they give me show winning body work for the minimal money I paid then I've just discovered El Dorado (The city not the car)

Stingroo
12-12-09, 07:38 AM
I don't know what to say anymore, so I'll just let this one slide. Hopefully there won't be any more similar topics like this, and you'll get the car so we can move on and drive.

Sense... it has not won this day.

1964CoupeDeville
12-12-09, 01:21 PM
I don't know what to say anymore, so I'll just let this one slide. Hopefully there won't be any more similar topics like this, and you'll get the car so we can move on and drive.

Sense... it has not won this day.

Fear and my honor hold me back from being up in their face. I hate those people who complain in restaurants because they "didn't get enough food" or "the service was bad". So, in fear of becoming a hypocrite, I refuse to engage in such impolite and obnoxious activities. Also, there's a guy working on it once again. I assume it'll be done before our nations 300th anniversary. (2076)

Stingroo
12-12-09, 07:12 PM
Complaining because the service was bad anywhere is NOT impolite. Some people may be obnoxious about it, but it is your RIGHT as a consumer. If you are unhappy with the service (or lack thereof) you are receiving, you CAN complain about it. Exercise that right, and things get done.

1964CoupeDeville
12-12-09, 07:26 PM
Complaining because the service was bad anywhere is NOT impolite. Some people may be obnoxious about it, but it is your RIGHT as a consumer. If you are unhappy with the service (or lack thereof) you are receiving, you CAN complain about it. Exercise that right, and things get done.

Until then there's always Belvederes....

1964CoupeDeville
12-13-09, 10:17 PM
I hope the car still runs when I get it back... It's been so long it'll probably need another tune up and oil change....

Stingroo
12-14-09, 09:12 AM
Oh my god... you are ridiculous. Somebody please close this topic. Holy crap.

1964CoupeDeville
12-14-09, 10:29 AM
Oh my god... you are ridiculous. Somebody please close this topic. Holy crap.

I'm just saying. You're supposed to get one about every 3 months. I got one a while before I took it in. I also got the exhaust of the car done before I took it in and we heard some rattling when it was done. I hope that hasn't turned into massive knocking after all that time....

V-Eight
12-14-09, 11:17 AM
You need an oil change after you DRIVE it!

gary88
12-14-09, 12:47 PM
This thread is :rofl:

EcSTSatic
12-15-09, 08:18 AM
I'm just saying. You're supposed to get one about every 3 months. I got one a while before I took it in. I also got the exhaust of the car done before I took it in and we heard some rattling when it was done. I hope that hasn't turned into massive knocking after all that time....

:lame: Where did you learn about cars? I mean really...?

1964CoupeDeville
12-15-09, 10:26 AM
:lame: Where did you learn about cars? I mean really...?

You ever hear of Miss Belvedere? That can happen to any car.

sven914
12-15-09, 11:29 AM

Yeah that was horrible... But your car hasn't been sealed in a concert box, buried under ground for the last 5 decades. It's being restored; the process where they repair the effects of age.

For anyone who doesn't know who miss Belvedere was, it's the nickname given to a brand new 1957 Plymouth Fury that was sealed into a time capsule in Tulsa Oklahoma (it only had 4 miles on the clock). The time capsule was opened after 50 years, in June of 2007 and the Plymouth was given to the closest relatives of who ever bought the wining raffle ticket in 1957.

The car went form this:
http://www.hotconflict.com/blog/images/2007/06/15/plymouth_belvedere_orginal_2.jpg
To this in 50 years:
http://telstarlogistics.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/16/plymouthtime02.jpg

The car is currently in the process of being restored.

http://www.davemikulec.com/blog/uploaded_images/MB-side-761203.jpg

EcSTSatic
12-15-09, 12:21 PM

You are just begging my question even more :helpless:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-15-09, 07:28 PM
That reminds me. I'd kill for a '58 Plymouth.

1964CoupeDeville
12-15-09, 07:57 PM

I wish my car could repair itself like Chrystine. Mine is taking more than 3 months to do what she could in a few seconds.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-15-09, 08:40 PM

And that car would kill for me. :lildevil:

1964CoupeDeville
12-15-09, 09:09 PM
And that car would kill for me. :lildevil:

And I'd kill for instant body work.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-15-09, 09:21 PM
:bigroll: :bigroll:

1964CoupeDeville
12-16-09, 12:30 AM
:bigroll: :bigroll:

You ever see Chrystine?

sven914
12-16-09, 01:29 AM
You ever see Chrystine?

It's pronounced Christine, and I think it's safe to say that only those who have been living under a rock for the past life will not know anything about one of Stephen King's most popular novels.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-16-09, 08:22 AM
You ever see Chrystine?

Yes, I have. As a matter of fact I first saw the movie when I was about 5 and got hooked onto it. I have the book, which I've read multiple times and a 1/18th scale model of a 1958 Plymouth Belvedere in black with the white hardtop. I even gave a presentation about it in my 10th grade speech class.

I was rolling my eyes because you're complaining (again) about a situation in which you have full control of the outcome. If you don't like their pace of the work, light a fire under their asses!

EcSTSatic
12-16-09, 08:52 AM
:yeah:

1964CoupeDeville
12-16-09, 11:46 PM
Yes, I have. As a matter of fact I first saw the movie when I was about 5 and got hooked onto it. I have the book, which I've read multiple times and a 1/18th scale model of a 1958 Plymouth Belvedere in black with the white hardtop. I even gave a presentation about it in my 10th grade speech class.

I was rolling my eyes because you're complaining (again) about a situation in which you have full control of the outcome. If you don't like their pace of the work, light a fire under their asses!

I do not have control over it. You're not realizing that, if I piss the owner off, every single automotive repair shop/body shop in my city will black list me (and my city is full of them, that's the scary part). They'll try ripping me off in revenge. This is literally the top guy in the city. He's getting my Cadillac's paint done for free on his part (he called in a "favor").

77CDV
12-16-09, 11:54 PM
Oh, dear, a "favor". Now where did I leave my hipboots?

1964CoupeDeville
12-17-09, 12:00 AM
Oh, dear, a "favor". Now where did I leave my hipboots?
LMAO. I meant it in a Godfatherly way but hey. You just made my day lol. You almost made me forget that my 2 freeway worthy cars are in 2 different shops.. I'm once again victim to delays. My 1965 Plymouth is in the repair shop for a tune up, exhaust, and brakes and the ****ers have kept it for 2 days. It looks like I have severely bad luck with cars.

77CDV
12-17-09, 12:04 AM
Glad I'm good for something! :)

1964CoupeDeville
12-17-09, 12:10 AM
Glad I'm good for something! :)

I hate driving the 1960 Chevrolet. I hate being in fear of the wheels falling off and traveling at parade float speed.... It's like driving a post Emissions regulated engine Caddy.... But much slower.

77CDV
12-17-09, 12:12 PM
Oh hey there!

1964CoupeDeville
12-17-09, 08:14 PM
Oh hey there!

I'm just saying, all that emissions equipment does slow it down.

sven914
12-17-09, 09:12 PM
I'm just saying, all that emissions equipment does slow it down.

So take the emissions controls off. It's California, who would ever know?

Beside if you get in trouble, you'll be able to outrun the fuzz (Cali 5-0 are notoriously slow).

1964CoupeDeville
12-17-09, 09:14 PM

Beside if you get in trouble, you'll be able to outrun the fuzz (Cali 5-0 are notoriously slow).

Not really. They pass me all the time. I was talking about the 60' Chevrolet anyway.

77CDV
12-18-09, 12:30 AM

All cars 1976 and newer must have biennial smog tests in CA. One of the things they look for is missing or disconnected smog equiptment. It used to be there was a rolling 25 year exemption, but that got changed a couple years back. So, my '77 will have to get smogged forever (or until they change the law), even though it isn't driven more than a couple thousand miles a year. I really, really hate CA.

Anyway, even with all the smog stuff, there's more than enough power. She's no speed demon, but she'll more than keep up with modern traffic.

1964CoupeDeville
12-18-09, 01:06 AM
All cars 1976 and newer must have biennial smog tests in CA. One of the things they look for is missing or disconnected smog equiptment. It used to be there was a rolling 25 year exemption, but that got changed a couple years back. So, my '77 will have to get smogged forever (or until they change the law), even though it isn't driven more than a couple thousand miles a year. I really, really hate CA.

Anyway, even with all the smog stuff, there's more than enough power. She's no speed demon, but she'll more than keep up with modern traffic.

But can she get through a yellow light? That's the million dollar question

Stingroo
12-18-09, 01:12 AM
No, the million dollar question should be can you STOP on a yellow light.

Jackasses who constantly try to race them are the reasons people like me, who KNOW HOW TO DRIVE PROPERLY pay stupidly high insurance rates.

V-Eight
12-18-09, 01:31 AM

Jackasses who constantly try to race them are the reasons people like me, who KNOW HOW TO DRIVE PROPERLY pay stupidly high insurance rates.

.......no comment......

1964CoupeDeville
12-18-09, 01:57 AM

I DO NOT want to slam on 45 year old drum brakes. Any wise man wouldn't want to.

gary88
12-18-09, 01:59 AM
I DO NOT want to slam on 45 year old drum brakes. Any wise man wouldn't want to.

Any wise man wouldn't daily drive a car they couldn't pull an emergency maneuver in.

1964CoupeDeville
12-18-09, 02:14 AM
Any wise man wouldn't daily drive a car they couldn't pull an emergency maneuver in.

I would do it in an emergency but a changing light isn't a major one

Stingroo
12-18-09, 03:28 AM
Until you get t-boned in the intersection.

Then you'll have a grand old time with a shop. I can only imagine how much whining and crying and "Oh my car isn't ready yet I want to sell it" you will do then.

EcSTSatic
12-18-09, 08:09 AM
;) I can see why this thread has lasted so long. Everyone waits to pounce on the next silly comment by the OP.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-18-09, 09:55 AM
If you're so worried about your 45 year old drums, why don't you just replace them?

1964CoupeDeville
12-18-09, 10:37 AM
Until you get t-boned in the intersection.

Then you'll have a grand old time with a shop. I can only imagine how much whining and crying and "Oh my car isn't ready yet I want to sell it" you will do then.

I get through before it turns red you know.

1964CoupeDeville
12-18-09, 10:38 AM
If you're so worried about your 45 year old drums, why don't you just replace them?

Because I'm questioning whether I should replace them with drums or do a disk brake upgrade (however parts for that will be all the more difficult to find so I'll probably do drums but drums wear out quickly)

EcSTSatic
12-18-09, 10:40 AM
This thread has run its course! :gg:

Stingroo
12-18-09, 11:54 AM
lol @ "I get through before it turns red you know."

I know this may be wrong, but I really truly believe you DESERVE to be hit. Maybe then you'll wisen up a bit.

1964CoupeDeville
12-18-09, 12:54 PM
lol @ "I get through before it turns red you know."

I know this may be wrong, but I really truly believe you DESERVE to be hit. Maybe then you'll wisen up a bit.

Anyone who wants to stop a 45 year old car rapidly just to avoid going through a red light is unwise. If I did slam on the brakes my car would still go into the intersection anyway if I had to stop right at the intersection when the light turns yellow.

Also if you say anything about how you shouldn't use it as a daily driver that just shows you dislike classics and should be driving some shitty little ricer.

Stingroo
12-18-09, 01:25 PM
lmao. That proves your ignorance further. Classic cars are awesome, and one of my favorite things of all time, but really, if you're not ready to accept the responsibility of driving one, or working on one (which you clearly don't appear to be), you should expect to be criticized. If you can't take it, not our fault.

And the statement "some shitty little ricer" to me just brands you as ignorant. More so than I already thought. :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-18-09, 01:51 PM
Lmao, I'm never closing THIS thread! This is just too epic! :lol:

V-Eight
12-18-09, 03:55 PM
Also if you say anything about how you shouldn't use it as a daily driver that just shows you dislike classics and should be driving some shitty little ricer.

Actually, you USING one as a daily driver proves your ignorance. Instead of going for a few weekly cruises you insist on working the car hard and deteriorating its condition. You, sir, are the fool.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-18-09, 06:55 PM
Actually, you USING one as a daily driver proves your ignorance. Instead of going for a few weekly cruises you insist on working the car hard and deteriorating its condition. You, sir, are the fool.

Agreed. There's a reason you don't see anyone driving classics as daily drivers....outside of Cuba. :lol:

Stingroo
12-18-09, 09:33 PM
Maybe we can hurtle political banter back and forth and get it closed.

OBAMA!
REPUBLICAN!
DEMOCRAT!
SOCIALIZED MEDICINE!
TERRORIST!

(Am I good yet?)

1964CoupeDeville
12-18-09, 10:03 PM

Deteriorating it? It's in better condition than when I bought it. I show ignorant kids these days that these cars are still running strong. I haven't had a problem yet.

1964CoupeDeville
12-18-09, 10:07 PM
lmao. That proves your ignorance further. Classic cars are awesome, and one of my favorite things of all time, but really, if you're not ready to accept the responsibility of driving one, or working on one (which you clearly don't appear to be), you should expect to be criticized. If you can't take it, not our fault.

And the statement "some shitty little ricer" to me just brands you as ignorant. More so than I already thought. :thumbsup:

By the way, how's the leg room in your new car? Can you fit more than a coupe of suit cases in the trunk :]

Stingroo
12-18-09, 10:17 PM
Uh... if you're referencing my car, you're probably talking to the wrong person. lol

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-18-09, 10:18 PM
By the way, how's the leg room in your new car? Can you fit more than a coupe of suit cases in the trunk :]

Well it's a '94 Fleetwood Brougham, so the legroom is more than adequate for Yao Ming and he can fit about 16 suitcases in the trunk.

Stingroo
12-18-09, 10:19 PM
^ I lol'd.

1964CoupeDeville
12-18-09, 10:20 PM
Uh... if you're referencing my car, you're probably talking to the wrong person. lol

Have you seen a trunk of a 64'? You haven't seen big until then. And what kind of horsepower does your 94' have? Was it still making like 140 horsepower like they all were in that period? I bet my supposedly "obsolete car" would beat yours in the quarter mile.

I don't know, I haven't had much of a chance in the past 3 MONTHS. But, it's easily enough to fit all the chrome trim, the side skirts and much more.

Stingroo
12-18-09, 10:24 PM
You wouldn't happen to know the volume of your trunk, would you?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-18-09, 10:28 PM
Have you seen a trunk of a 64'? You haven't seen big until then. And what kind of horsepower does your 94' have? Was it still making like 140 horsepower like they all were in that period? I bet my supposedly "obsolete car" would beat yours in the quarter mile.

260 net horsepower, and about a 15.3 second quarter mile. I can guarantee your '64 Coupe DeVille isn't anywhere near that.

1964CoupeDeville
12-18-09, 10:32 PM
260 net horsepower, and about a 15.3 second quarter mile. I can guarantee your '64 Coupe DeVille isn't anywhere near that.

16.4 sec, literature value But considering my car is about 700 pounds heavier its not so much a surprise.

Stingroo
12-18-09, 10:34 PM
What's your car weigh? lol

The '94 Brougham is 4506 pounds.

1964CoupeDeville
12-18-09, 10:36 PM
What's your car weigh? lol

The '94 Brougham is 4506 pounds.

http://paloneva.freeshell.org/caddy/cadtech.html

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-18-09, 10:40 PM
16.4 sec, literature value But considering my car is about 700 pounds heavier its not so much a surprise.

What's "literature value"?

1964CoupeDeville
12-18-09, 10:47 PM
What's "literature value"?

What the engine is tracked at. Done by professionals as a part of calculating Rear wheel horsepower.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-18-09, 10:53 PM
You mean one of those horsepower calculation charts?

gary88
12-18-09, 10:58 PM
And what kind of horsepower does your 94' have? Was it still making like 140 horsepower like they all were in that period? I bet my supposedly "obsolete car" would beat yours in the quarter mile.

I thought you drive like a grandma. Grandmas don't race :tisk:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-18-09, 11:00 PM
I thought you drive like a grandma. Grandmas don't race :tisk:

Yeah, maybe to the bingo hall. :lol:

eldorado99
12-19-09, 02:24 PM
Let's all have a giant pissing match!

Stingroo
12-19-09, 03:47 PM
Sounds like quite the plan! In fact, I have to urinate as I type this!

Awaaaaaaay!

lol @ new direction of this topic.

Rodya234
12-19-09, 03:51 PM
CHALLANGE PISSING:

If you can piss six feet straight up and not get wet, you win one free internet!

http://donstuff.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/one-free-internet.jpg

77CDV
12-19-09, 10:17 PM
In answer to 64's question, yep, my '77 can beat a yellow light very well, though I refrain from doing so unless I'm less than 100 feet from the intersection when the light changes to yellow. Otherwise, I bring the car to an orderly stop (while being grateful for front disc brakes). But, I've been driving 1977 Cadillacs for most of the last 22 years. I know their capabilities and limitations, and I respect them. They offer all the comforts of a modern car with the class and style of the old school American heavy cruisers. She'll go anywere I want, do anything I ask, never miss a beat, and look awesome doing it. People offer to buy her on sight. I just smile and tell them to check back in about 90 years. ;)

sven914
12-20-09, 01:08 AM
It this thread on topic or off... It seems off topic, but then it randomly comes back on line.

Hey... Anyone ever hear of a Cadillac Park Avenue? (I'm tying it in here because I was looking up some random useless bullshit about the 64 de Ville and came a cross it).

It was a concept for 1954, but was a production model for 1962 and 1963 only. They're very rare; 2600 in '62 and 1575 for '63. What made them special was that they were a short deck (sedan) de Ville.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2632/3726793177_d72c985675.jpg

as opposed to

http://www.plansandschemes.com/cadillac/c1.jpg

1964CoupeDeville
12-20-09, 01:10 AM
In answer to 64's question, yep, my '77 can beat a yellow light very well, though I refrain from doing so unless I'm less than 100 feet from the intersection when the light changes to yellow. Otherwise, I bring the car to an orderly stop (while being grateful for front disc brakes). But, I've been driving 1977 Cadillacs for most of the last 22 years. I know their capabilities and limitations, and I respect them. They offer all the comforts of a modern car with the class and style of the old school American heavy cruisers. She'll go anywere I want, do anything I ask, never miss a beat, and look awesome doing it. People offer to buy her on sight. I just smile and tell them to check back in about 90 years. ;)

It's the same for me. If I know the brakes won't stop in time with a non slam stop then I just accelerate through

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-20-09, 01:13 AM
It this thread on topic or off... It seems off topic, but then it randomly comes back on line.

Hey... Anyone ever hear of a Cadillac Park Avenue? (I'm tying it in here because I was looking up some random useless bullshit about the 64 de Ville and came a cross it).

It was a concept for 1954, but was a production model for 1962 and 1963 only. They're very rare; 2600 in '62 and 1575 for '63. What made them special was that they were a short deck (sedan) de Ville.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2632/3726793177_d72c985675.jpg

as opposed to

http://www.plansandschemes.com/cadillac/c1.jpg

Yeah I remember hearing about the Park Avenue Cadillacs. Were they a higher end, more expensive model back in '62 and '63?

sven914
12-20-09, 01:18 AM
^ Same price as the other de Ville's; $5630 base

77CDV
12-20-09, 11:20 PM
There was also a short deck version of the Series 62 called the Town Sedan. The big selling point was that the shorter rear deck theoretically made them more manuverable in tight urban spaces. While they were shorter than the standard Series 62 sedan/Sedan de Ville, they were hardly petite.

EcSTSatic
12-21-09, 08:38 AM
It's the same for me. If I know the brakes won't stop in time with a non slam stop then I just accelerate through

Accelerating thru a yellow light is a traffic violation. The law says "proceed with caution". Hitting the gas doesn't conform to "caution".

V-Eight
12-21-09, 12:47 PM
You can accelerate cautiously.....

EcSTSatic
12-21-09, 12:50 PM
Tell it to the judge :rolleyes:

1964CoupeDeville
12-21-09, 01:09 PM
Accelerating thru a yellow light is a traffic violation. The law says "proceed with caution". Hitting the gas doesn't conform to "caution".

So you're saying going to a dead stop in the middle of the intersection is "cautious"?

EcSTSatic
12-21-09, 01:17 PM
No. Read bro, accelerating in NOT cautious

1964CoupeDeville
12-21-09, 01:22 PM
No. Read bro, accelerating in NOT cautious

When you drive 30 mph in 45 mph zones just to piss people off and you need to make it through a light it becomes necessary.

EcSTSatic
12-21-09, 01:27 PM
That comment is utter nonsense. Why am I not surprised.

1964CoupeDeville
12-21-09, 01:36 PM
That comment is utter nonsense. Why am I not surprised.

It's called taking in life slowly and enjoying every moment of it

EcSTSatic
12-21-09, 01:41 PM
You call "30 mph in 45 mph zones just to piss people off " taking life slowly and enjoying it? I don't say this often but you sir, are an idiot.

1964CoupeDeville
12-21-09, 01:49 PM
You call "30 mph in 45 mph zones just to piss people off " taking life slowly and enjoying it? I don't say this often but you sir, are an idiot.

Heroes don't have fun. I'm showing that old cars may have had their day but they still rule the road.:lildevil:

"G$"
12-21-09, 03:38 PM
good thread :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-09, 05:52 PM
When you drive 30 mph in 45 mph zones just to piss people off and you need to make it through a light it becomes necessary.

You've topped yourself again. This is the dumbest thing you've ever said and one of the dumbest things I've read on here in a long time.

You won't realize it now due to your age and utter lack of experience, but that arrogance and lack of other's best interests is what causes traffic jams and road rage.

It's called taking in life slowly and enjoying every moment of it

Retarted. I'm gonna laugh when you come to us complaining that you got in a road rage incident because you were driving too slow.

V-Eight
12-21-09, 06:14 PM
Heroes don't have fun. I'm showing that old cars may have had their day but they still rule the road.:lildevil:

If you were ruling the road you would be able to go the speed limit.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-09, 06:16 PM
If you were ruling the road you would be able to go the speed limit.

Or way, way faster.

1964CoupeDeville
12-21-09, 06:18 PM
You've topped yourself again. This is the dumbest thing you've ever said and one of the dumbest things I've read on here in a long time.

You won't realize it now due to your age and utter lack of experience, but that arrogance and lack of other's best interests is what causes traffic jams and road rage.

Retarted. I'm gonna laugh when you come to us complaining that you got in a road rage incident because you were driving too slow.

There's nothing wrong with driving like an old lady. There's a reason they live so long.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-09, 06:30 PM
There's nothing wrong with driving like an old lady. There's a reason they live so long.

That is the most twisted logic I've ever heard. I honestly can't tell if you're trying, in vain, to be funny. If living like an old lady is your "raison d'etre", then do you sit at home and crochet while listening to Duke Ellington records, spend mornings in your rocking chair watching price is right and try and catch the early bird dinner before 60 minutes comes on?

1964CoupeDeville
12-21-09, 06:36 PM
That is the most twisted logic I've ever heard. I honestly can't tell if you're trying, in vain, to be funny. If living like an old lady is your "raison d'etre", then do you sit at home and crochet while listening to Duke Ellington records, spend mornings in your rocking chair watching price is right and try and catch the early bird dinner before 60 minutes comes on?

Curses, at least you didn't tell me about Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald, and my bingo games.

Stingroo
12-21-09, 06:44 PM
Hey.

Shut up.

I quite enjoy the Price is Right.

Aron9000
12-21-09, 07:18 PM
Hey.

Shut up.

I quite enjoy the Price is Right.

So Barker or Carey??? At first I thought Drew Carey was awful, but he's gotten better and I kind of enjoy his subtle wit. He's no Bob Barker though, I liked how Bob could really draw you in and kind of slow the pace of the show down, and seemed to make people squirm a little more.

Stingroo
12-21-09, 07:30 PM
I loved Bob. I've been watching that show, no joke, since I was 2.

Drew is alright though. I was iffy on him at first, but I'm kind of biased because I've always thought he was pretty funny. He's a decent host.

And DEFINITELY better than the alternative -- Rosie O'Donnell.

sven914
12-21-09, 07:35 PM

Slow driving is not why the elderly live so long.

Old people get five weeks added to their lives every time they drive someone insane. Whether that be by paying for everything with pennies, trading the family inheritance for cheap garbage on QVC, keeping the neighborhood toys, complaining about the unfair prices while comparing them to prices not seen since 1932, constantly talking about their cats, using witty euphemisms popular in the '40's, or refusing to die; every time the seed of madness is planted, old people get to live longer.

1964CoupeDeville
12-21-09, 07:50 PM
Slow driving is not why the elderly live so long.

Old people get five weeks added to their lives every time they drive someone insane. Whether that be by paying for everything with pennies, trading the family inheritance for cheap garbage on QVC, keeping the neighborhood toys, complaining about the unfair prices while comparing them to prices not seen since 1932, constantly talking about their cats, using witty euphemisms popular in the '40's, or refusing to die; every time the seed of madness is planted, old people get to live longer.

Then I shall live to see a century. I think everything is overpriced nowadays (in 1964 a Cadillac cost $5000, now they cost over 50 grand? I call bullshit.

Stingroo
12-21-09, 07:56 PM
I call inflation.

gary88
12-21-09, 07:58 PM
:rofl:

V-Eight
12-21-09, 08:04 PM
I call inflation.

Seconded, but some people are too stupid to understand one of the most simple economic principles. Heck, you don't even need to UNDERSTAND it to know what it is!

Stingroo
12-21-09, 08:08 PM
lol Gary liked that one I see.

"G$"
12-21-09, 08:14 PM
I loved Bob. I've been watching that show, no joke, since I was 2.

Drew is alright though. I was iffy on him at first, but I'm kind of biased because I've always thought he was pretty funny. He's a decent host.

And DEFINITELY better than the alternative -- Rosie O'Donnell.

I was on price is right once. I was in the crowd with my bball team and my teammate won a trip to austria...so fun! Hence, I have a soft spot in my heart for that show.

For the record, my 2 cents, I think the thread starter is in the right about going slow. Let him go slow if he wants to go slow. Who cares. He's posting benign things on this message board and it's getting some of you riled up. ease up, relax, listen to some bing crosby, smoke a bowl.

gary88
12-21-09, 08:40 PM
Then I shall live to see a century. I think everything is overpriced nowadays (in 1964 a Cadillac cost $5000, now they cost over 50 grand? I call bullshit.

Lets to some economics!

Inflation from 1964 to November 2009 was about 600%.

$5,000 x 600% inflation = $35,000 in today's money, which is what a CTS starts at.

sven914
12-21-09, 09:03 PM
Then I shall live to see a century.

Is that your f**king goal? To be f**king invincible at our f**king expense?

Well f**k you! It's not going to f**king work on me; I was f**king crazy long before you f**king came along! :nana2:

Stingroo
12-21-09, 09:22 PM
Sven, you sir are a legend.

1964CoupeDeville
12-21-09, 10:09 PM
I was on price is right once. I was in the crowd with my bball team and my teammate won a trip to austria...so fun! Hence, I have a soft spot in my heart for that show.

For the record, my 2 cents, I think the thread starter is in the right about going slow. Let him go slow if he wants to go slow. Who cares. He's posting benign things on this message board and it's getting some of you riled up. ease up, relax, listen to some bing crosby, smoke a bowl.

Amen.

77CDV
12-21-09, 10:23 PM
Continuing to be deeply amused. :D

1964CoupeDeville
12-21-09, 10:33 PM
Continuing to be deeply amused. :D

I think they're on their first primer coat, next is another sanding and another primer then wet sandblasting.

77CDV
12-21-09, 10:35 PM
Excellent news! Perhaps you'll start the new year right after all!

Craig

1964CoupeDeville
12-21-09, 10:41 PM
Excellent news! Perhaps you'll start the new year right after all!

Craig

Yes, perhaps my car will be done by next year :D

eldorado99
12-22-09, 12:42 AM
Yeah productivity is pretty much over for this year from my point of view. Then again I work for the government...

sven914
12-22-09, 12:57 AM
Yeah productivity is pretty much over for this year from my point of view. Then again I work for the government...

Then how do you know when productivity ends?

1964CoupeDeville
12-22-09, 01:23 AM
Then how do you know when productivity ends?

The government is never productive

ga_etc
12-22-09, 02:06 AM
The government is never productive

I think that was the point.

1964CoupeDeville
12-22-09, 03:55 AM
i think that was the point.

body shops=government

ga_etc
12-22-09, 05:33 AM
Really now? I'm dying to hear this flawless logic in action...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-22-09, 08:02 AM
ROFL! Government run body shops!! :lol: