: Raven Black & Orange Peel?

garfin
12-01-09, 12:45 PM
So it looks like I'm finally seeing the way clear to pull the trigger on a V2 (after almost a year!) and I've run across on '09 manual Raven Black (Ebony interior) with every option except the wood trim.
It is a dealer demo with 2300 kilometres on it and all incentives are applicable.
In Canada that boils down to $5500 cash allowance on remaining '09s, $1000 GM Loyalty, $1000 Holiday Bonus, and I believe the $500 as well based on signing the waiver that the car will not be returned after 60 days. In addition, I have $2000 in GM Visa dollars and the dealer has indicated that they would throw in "their discount", on top of whatever is on the table from GM. Sounds like a very sweet deal to me...
I went to see the car on Saturday and it is in the dealer's showroom - under intense fluorescent lighting. My observation was that the black paint on the horizontal surfaces (hood, trunk, roof) is flawless, but, the paint on the vertical surfaces (doors and quarter panels) has very obvious orange peel under those lights.
Is this a common characteristic of Raven Black cars or do you think this one is the exception? Given the amount of work needed to keep up the finish on a black car, as well as the orange peel, is really causing me to hesitate on this deal.
If this was a a silver or grey car, I'd be all over it in a flash. I tend to keep my cars for a long time and I'm worried that I could end up regretting getting this black car - even though I'd be saving a ton over ordering a new '10.
Any input on this from owners of Raven Black cars would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Elie

cbloveday
12-01-09, 12:56 PM
Tell them you want it repainted or go with another color. I have owned several Black cars: 2007 Escalade ESV, 2007 BMW M6, 2010 SRX.
I bought the 09 V in radiant silver cause I got tired of the upkeep. If you are sharp enough to notice orange peel and fisheyes, I think you'll
find the black car too much work and not enough pleasure. I used to say I enjoyed detailing, not as much now LOL.

wfo
12-01-09, 01:08 PM
There really isn't anything more beautiful than a black car cleaned and waxed. But..like cbloveday indicated, it is work to keep it looking great. Do consider this before buying. Orange peel to some extent is prevalent on all domestic cars it seems. There are really great incentives out there and as we approach year end more will be available.

Do a Dealer search as well. It might pay to do a "fly and drive" if necessary to get the car you want.

thebigjimsho
12-01-09, 01:10 PM
Even if it takes more work, there is nothing like a flawless black car.

As for the pricing, I was told that the $500 cashback to waive the satisfaction guarantee does not apply to demo vehicles. Maybe that is different in Canada...

I just picked up my black raven '09 demo last Friday...

thebigjimsho
12-01-09, 01:12 PM
There really isn't anything more beautiful than a black car cleaned and waxed. But..like cbloveday indicated, it is work to keep it looking great. Do consider this before buying. Orange peel to some extent is prevalent on all domestic cars it seems. There are really great incentives out there and as we approach year end more will be available.

Do a Dealer search as well. It might pay to do a "fly and drive" if necessary to get the car you want.
And since it was Thanksgiving weekend, I didn't miss work. :yup:

RightTurn
12-01-09, 01:22 PM
Orange peel to some extent is prevalent on all domestic cars it seems.

:yeah: I would NOT ask them to repaint the car (they'd probably laugh in your face anyhow.) A repaint might end up looking a lot worse. If the finish bothers you, keep looking.

CDV
12-01-09, 01:50 PM
Even if it takes more work, there is nothing like a flawless black car.

As for the pricing, I was told that the $500 cashback to waive the satisfaction guarantee does not apply to demo vehicles. Maybe that is different in Canada...

I just picked up my black raven '09 demo last Friday...

So did the $5,000 cash back and $1,000 holiday bonus apply to your purchase of the San Antonio demo (if you don't mind the question)?

Mike 09 V
12-01-09, 02:06 PM
Mine has the orange peel. I had some very minor damage to the clear coat and the paint guy said that, unless the flaw is obviously there, the chance of there being some airborn dust is too high to take the chance on a repaint. He says aftermarket spray booths, even the dealer cannot be dust or lint free. Just like yours, the orange peel is more pronounced on the vertical surfaces. I love it and am so glad I got the black. With a California Duster it always looks good. Take the deal and don't look back.

thebigjimsho
12-01-09, 02:34 PM
So did the $5,000 cash back and $1,000 holiday bonus apply to your purchase of the San Antonio demo (if you don't mind the question)?
Yes they would. I did not get those because I got 0% financing instead.

bk000
12-01-09, 04:09 PM
Orange peel on rear doors here!

Gary Wells
12-01-09, 07:44 PM
Orange peel is a prevailing condition on most, or all of the new '09 CTS-V cars. I have noticed the same pattern on any '09 CTS non V's that I have seen. Same for vettes, or at least the ZO6's. Same pattern, too. OK on hood, top, trunk top surface, running from fair to poor on the sides & rear fascia's as you go from top to bottom of the panels. Generally orange peel getting heavier or worse as you near the rear of the car. Generally worse on the shotgun side as compared to the driver's side.
If you are thinking of having the dealer re-spray, color-sand, and or polish out, and the dealer is even thinking of doing anything to it to gain the sale, then have the dealer complete the car as it will be sold prior to your signing any paperwork. There are at least 2 war stories on this forum / site of people who did not consider the odds when dealing with this or similar issues. 1 involving paint quality & 1 involving fitment quality. HTH.

garfin
12-01-09, 09:15 PM
Wow! Thanks to everybody for your input. Great information and I really appreciate your individual perspectives on the "black is gorgeous, but man, it's a lot of work to maintain"!:yup:[/I] Thank you all for your honesty on this... :thumbsup:

I didn't realize that the orange peel was so common with Black Raven cars. You guys seem to have no problem living with that, and after having driven both the auto and manual cars, I can certainly understand where you're comin' from!:D Just gotta translate that into my perspective...

I'd never want to repaint a car. No guarantee that would solve the orange peel issue (it might actually exacerbate it). The durability of the paint after a repaint is very questionable in my mind... (stone chips and dings etc.) Ask me how I know this...

I can definitely see where the $500 incentive for signing off to not return the car after 60 days wouldn't be applicable to a demo and that makes total sense (I did not discuss this with the dealer).

At this point, I guess I need to use my negotiating skills in order to determine just how much this dealer is prepared to contribute to this deal and assess whether their bottom line is worth it to me to accept a black car that needs a whole lot of TLC and has orange peel paint on the doors and quarters...

I'll keep y'all posted on the progress...

Thank you again! :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Elie

Gary Wells
12-01-09, 10:02 PM
Orange peel is not common to black raven cars, it is common to all of these cars in pretty much all colors. You may not notice it as much in the lighter color cars, but its there.

Jack B
12-02-09, 12:09 AM
I have a thunder grey 09 and love it. After the first time I really cleaned and detailed it I noticed some orange peelling as well. I was told that a professional polish would remove what I am seeing. It's about a $1,000. The guy I am talking of does high end hot rods etc. and I've seen his work. Maybe that's your answer. I doubt the dealer will ante up?

Years ago I owned a 67 black GS Riviera. My favorite saying after that large go fast car was: Everyone will own one black car in their life! They do look good when they're clean and shiney though.