: Trunk Leak on 94 FWB

bmwnick
12-01-09, 11:41 AM
Hey Guys,

My FWB hasn't seen much rain since it's usually covered and driven only on nice days. Over the Thanksgiving weekend I took her on a road trip and encountered some serious rainfall.

The passenger side of my trunk compartment got pretty wet over the weekend. Any ideas on the source of the water? It's not the antenna hole and it has a stock, original vinyl roof and DEFINITELY no rust or body rot holes.

Any advice is appreciated

outsider
12-01-09, 12:08 PM
check the weather stripping around the trunk lid? Sounds like an obvious culprit and the only logical one I can think of right now...

bmwnick
12-01-09, 12:12 PM
Thanks,
Yeah I checked the weather stripping and it's perfect. The water seems to be coming down from the front corner under the trunk hinge. That's where the carpet is wet.

outsider
12-01-09, 02:20 PM
wow that is weird. Any chance it could be coming up from the underneath?

BossHoggin'
12-01-09, 04:56 PM
mine leaks too. i think it is leaking from the back window

kevinf
12-01-09, 05:47 PM
Take all the carpet out and hose down the car, you'll be able to find a water trail.

sven914
12-01-09, 07:00 PM
You got any midgets?

Back in high school auto class, whenever someone needed a mysterious trunk leak found, we locked this little dude in trunk with a flash light, and then hosed down the car.

outsider
12-01-09, 08:22 PM
You got any midgets?

Back in high school auto class, whenever someone needed a mysterious trunk leak found, we locked this little dude in trunk with a flash light, and then hosed down the car.

best idea yet...:worship:

Stingroo
12-01-09, 09:26 PM
You got any midgets?

Aw c'mon. It's a Brougham. Surely a small to mid-size child would work just as well, and be in much greater supply.

greencadillacmatt
12-01-09, 11:42 PM
My '90 Brougham's trunk leaked, and it turned out to be tree droppings blocking the water channels around the weather stripping. Your's looks way to clean for that to be it though.

(Oh, and even I fit in the trunk of my Caddy, and I'm 6' 5''!)

sven914
12-01-09, 11:58 PM
Aw c'mon. It's a Brougham. Surely a small to mid-size child would work just as well, and be in much greater supply.

Yeah but midgets are so much more fun. You can shove 4 or 5 or 10 in the trunk and then "accidentally" pop the lid at a traffic light, and then watch the priceless expressions of the people who are watching 10 midgets pile out a Cadillac trunk.

outsider
12-02-09, 10:14 AM
Yeah but midgets are so much more fun. You can shove 4 or 5 or 10 in the trunk and then "accidentally" pop the lid at a traffic light, and then watch the priceless expressions of the people who are watching 10 midgets pile out a Cadillac trunk.

we used to do this with regular sized people...not 10 of them but like 2 to 3... :histeric:

bmwnick
12-02-09, 11:48 AM
You got any midgets?

That's what my shop techs here at work told me to do.

No Matter what, I'm going in that trunk with my spare remote in my pocket. The last thing we all need to hear about is another New York Italian guy found dead in the trunk of a Cadillac!!!

Bro-Ham
12-02-09, 12:15 PM
Nick, at least it's carpeted and cozy in there in case both remotes won't work from your giant bunker of a trunk. Have your wife or mistress standing by with a trunk key just in case... :)

Cadillacboy
12-04-09, 02:00 PM
This is the most entertaining "trunk leaking" thead I have ever read :D Sorry ,I wish I could pust some insight as well .I hope youget it sorted out soon :)

HUF
12-04-09, 02:07 PM
Is Lincoln's trunk bigger than Fleetwood's?

sven914
12-04-09, 02:35 PM
Is Lincoln's trunk bigger than Fleetwood's?

Yes they are slightly larger, but that is because they are deeper than Cadillac's trunk. But because the Lincoln trunk isn't as long, it more limits the size of the things you can put in, because objects have to be vertical in the trunk. Also the shortness of the trunk makes the car shorter, and less prestigious and not as dominant on the road.

1982-97 Town Cars had 22 cubic feet of trunk space
1980-92 (Fleetwood) Brougham's had 20 cubic feet
1993-96 Fleetwood's had 20.8 cubic feet

SCU187
12-11-09, 06:18 PM
Is there an trunk alarm pin in that area?

HUF
12-11-09, 07:49 PM
Yes they are slightly larger, but that is because they are deeper than Cadillac's trunk. But because the Lincoln trunk isn't as long, it more limits the size of the things you can put in, because objects have to be vertical in the trunk. Also the shortness of the trunk makes the car shorter, and less prestigious and not as dominant on the road.

1982-97 Town Cars had 22 cubic feet of trunk space
1980-92 (Fleetwood) Brougham's had 20 cubic feet
1993-96 Fleetwood's had 20.8 cubic feet
Thanks Sven.

95bigbody
02-11-10, 02:51 AM
No one actually has any help on the leak? Mine leaks in the exact same location, you cant see directly where it is coming from because there is overlapping layers of sheet metal in that area.

jayoldschool
02-11-10, 10:10 AM
Even though the car is clean, it can be rust under the trim/top area. I had that on my 71. Never solved it until the top was removed, and the window channel was cleaned. We found small pinholes in the metal that were allowing water in.