: generator lights up when driving in rain

1980coupe
12-01-09, 03:01 AM
OK, if I'm in the wrong place please move to the electrical discussion. Thanks
So today we had some rain then it turned into snow and in some streets there's puddles of water and everytime I drove through it my generator lights up really bright and dims out. I know that under the car it has those plastic shields or aprons that are clipped to the front bumper and none are missing or loose; it has the inner plastic fenders too. So how is it that, if any water, gets the alternator wet causing the light to come on? It only does it when there's water on the road.
Any thoughts?:hmm:

RocketFast321
12-01-09, 01:57 PM
Water is getting on your belt and causing it to slip. i would tighten it up and see what happens.

greencadillacmatt
12-01-09, 10:28 PM
I second that. Same thing used to happen in my DeVille. The alternator belt is VERY easy to tighten. Good Luck!

My_favorite_Brougham
12-02-09, 04:07 AM
Yep, it's the belt. Has happened on many cars of mine.

1980coupe
12-02-09, 04:46 AM
OK, thank to all who have posted. I'll be checking the belt this weekend, it must have loosen. I relaced the alternator not to long ago and I replaced the belt too at the same time; it probably needs to be tighten again like you guys say. I'll keep you guys posted.
Thanks

jayoldschool
12-02-09, 10:04 AM
Replace the belt at the same time. Once they slip, the belt gets glazed, and will never hold properly. A cheap investment. Same labor to change as to tighten.

SSG
12-05-09, 08:40 AM
A 1980 Caddy with a 368ci. motor has the alternator belt that runs off the water pump. It doesn't contact the crank pulley. You need to tighten the A.I.R. belt or AC belt. It's been almost 30 years since I worked on one of those cars. It was a common problem that most people overlooked. Lots of cars were towed into the shop with dead or weak batteries because of a loose A.I.R./AC belt.

1980coupe
12-06-09, 12:30 AM
A 1980 Caddy with a 368ci. motor has the alternator belt that runs off the water pump. It doesn't contact the crank pulley. You need to tighten the A.I.R. belt or AC belt. It's been almost 30 years since I worked on one of those cars. It was a common problem that most people overlooked. Lots of cars were towed into the shop with dead or weak batteries because of a loose A.I.R./AC belt.

Thanks. I believe the sound is actually coming from the ac compressor which I believe then it's the belt, so I would need to tighten the power steering box. I got to hear it today when I fired the car up after doing the spark plug replacement and oil change. AC belt easy to tighten, A.I.R. belt hard; have to go under the car to tighten. I'll have it looked at, been busy with shopping with the family.:)

SSG
12-06-09, 05:09 AM
Which ever belt goes around the water pump and the crankshaft pulley is the one you need to tighten.
Steve

1980coupe
12-07-09, 01:21 AM
Which ever belt goes around the water pump and the crankshaft pulley is the one you need to tighten.
Steve

Don't all of them do? I went outside to take a look at it during my break and it's really hard to tell; there's hardly any lights outside the building and the security guard did not have a flashlight available.
There's a belt to alternator to crankshaft pulley, then there's a belt to the A.I.R. pump to same pulley, then AC to power steering to crankshaft.
I'll just retighten the alternator and power steering since these two are the easiest to do. The A.I.R. pump is underneath the alternator and to tighten/adjust the belt the bolts are on the bottom which will be a little difficult for me to get to.
thanks
edgar