: Changing brake pads

jwall09
11-30-09, 08:55 PM
I got hawk ultra low dust pads, but before I jack it up and take off wheels I wanted to ask anyone who has done it what tools I need to have avail?

nok
11-30-09, 10:49 PM
Hey, I just did mine yesterday! (fronts only, but I think the rears are the same). This was the easiest pad change I ever did. All you'll need is a lugwrench, a punch (maybe 3/32"? the pin you're driving is not very big) a hammer for the punch and maybe a screwdriver to hold down the pad retainer (it WILL go flying if you don't hold it). I stacked up two short sections of 2x8" lumber to drive the front tire up on. This makes it easier to get the jack under the front of the car. You could jack from behind the tire but then you'd need to turn the wheel inward and that makes it harder to access the caliper. I put the jack right under the botton of the control arm. Plenty of surface for the jack saddle. Pull the wheel and then drive the bottom pad retainer pin out with the punch. Make sure you're holding the end of the pad retainer (the flat spring steel piece that hooks under both the top and the bottom pins). I held it in with a screwdriver. Once the pin is out of its bore, you can just pivot the pad retainer up and unhook it from under the top pin. Drive the upper pin out then wedge your screwdriver between the pad and rotor. Easy does it; you just want to push the pistons in enough so you can get the pad out. Remember, these calipers don't float, they have pistons on both sides. Remove the pads and depress the pistons. If you push one piston in, the other one will come out, so you have to kinda push them both in at once (per side). I cleaned everything with a rag and brake clean. Used a little grease that was supplied with the hawk pads to coat the back of the new ones and slid the pads back into their spots on the caliper. Line up the inner and outer pads and drive the retainer pins in from the engine side of the caliper. You have to use the punch to get them to seat fully, but it's a piece of cake. Hook the retainer under the upper pin and repeat the pin replacement for the lower pin while holding the lower end of the pad retainer in with your screwdriver. Once you have the pads in, replace the wheel and torque to 100ft/lb. Then, get into the car and with the engine off, slowly depress the brake pedal 2/3rds of its travel. Release it slowly and wait 15 seconds. Repeat the process till you have a firm pedal (it only took me about three pumps). Do the other wheel the same way and then follow hawk's burnishing procedure. I also retorqued the lugnuts after about 40 miles...they needed it. I had zero problems doing the job and the brakes seem even better than stock. Good luck!
Nok

PGA2B
12-01-09, 04:39 PM
Did you get the Blue F Pads or the Yellow Z Ceramic pads?

http://www.streetsideauto.com/products.asp?PTID=5632&brand=BHCD&series=HPS+Performance+Street&partnumber=HB453F.585&Skip=True&LookupType=YMM&Reset=True

http://www.streetsideauto.com/products.asp?PTID=5632&brand=BHCD&series=Performance+Ceramic&partnumber=HB453Z.585&Skip=True&LookupType=YMM&Reset=True

jwall09
12-01-09, 09:38 PM
Did you get the Blue F Pads or the Yellow Z Ceramic pads?

http://www.streetsideauto.com/products.asp?PTID=5632&brand=BHCD&series=HPS+Performance+Street&partnumber=HB453F.585&Skip=True&LookupType=YMM&Reset=True

http://www.streetsideauto.com/products.asp?PTID=5632&brand=BHCD&series=Performance+Ceramic&partnumber=HB453Z.585&Skip=True&LookupType=YMM&Reset=True

Hawk Performance HB453Z.585
Hawk Performance HB194Z.570

jwall09
12-01-09, 09:47 PM
Hey, I just did mine yesterday! (fronts only, but I think the rears are the same). This was the easiest pad change I ever did. All you'll need is a lugwrench, a punch (maybe 3/32"? the pin you're driving is not very big) a hammer for the punch and maybe a screwdriver to hold down the pad retainer (it WILL go flying if you don't hold it). I stacked up two short sections of 2x8" lumber to drive the front tire up on. This makes it easier to get the jack under the front of the car. You could jack from behind the tire but then you'd need to turn the wheel inward and that makes it harder to access the caliper. I put the jack right under the botton of the control arm. Plenty of surface for the jack saddle. Pull the wheel and then drive the bottom pad retainer pin out with the punch. Make sure you're holding the end of the pad retainer (the flat spring steel piece that hooks under both the top and the bottom pins). I held it in with a screwdriver. Once the pin is out of its bore, you can just pivot the pad retainer up and unhook it from under the top pin. Drive the upper pin out then wedge your screwdriver between the pad and rotor. Easy does it; you just want to push the pistons in enough so you can get the pad out. Remember, these calipers don't float, they have pistons on both sides. Remove the pads and depress the pistons. If you push one piston in, the other one will come out, so you have to kinda push them both in at once (per side). I cleaned everything with a rag and brake clean. Used a little grease that was supplied with the hawk pads to coat the back of the new ones and slid the pads back into their spots on the caliper. Line up the inner and outer pads and drive the retainer pins in from the engine side of the caliper. You have to use the punch to get them to seat fully, but it's a piece of cake. Hook the retainer under the upper pin and repeat the pin replacement for the lower pin while holding the lower end of the pad retainer in with your screwdriver. Once you have the pads in, replace the wheel and torque to 100ft/lb. Then, get into the car and with the engine off, slowly depress the brake pedal 2/3rds of its travel. Release it slowly and wait 15 seconds. Repeat the process till you have a firm pedal (it only took me about three pumps). Do the other wheel the same way and then follow hawk's burnishing procedure. I also retorqued the lugnuts after about 40 miles...they needed it. I had zero problems doing the job and the brakes seem even better than stock. Good luck!
Nok

Thank you very much!!