: 1999 Catera Dangerous Brake problem

scottk706
11-30-09, 04:30 PM
Hey, i have a 1999 catera. When you apply the brakes the cars pulls side to side a little then pulls hard to the right. i checked and replaced the lower control arm bushings. checked all hoses and calipers and found no problems and bleed the system. Also i removed the abs fuse and the ABS and TC light came on but the problem was still there. The lights went off when i replaced the fuse. Could it be the BPMV? This problem is very dangerous and i need your help. Thanks, Scott

Jea3cd
11-30-09, 08:37 PM
Could be a sticking or slow caliper. Is everything cleaned up on the caliper hangers / brackets? I would jack up the car, put it on stands or a lift, and have someone step on the brakes while you look at both front calipers to make sure they both clamp at the same time.

I know this is a different car, but we just had a 02 Dodge Stratus in that had a slow caliper, and it would cause the car to do the same things you described.

Hope this helps, let us know. Good luck.

elvin315
12-01-09, 08:18 PM
I agree. It sounds like a mechanical/hydraulic problem. Could be a caliper piston sticking or an internally collapsed hose. The ABS is unlikely as it only comes into play during hard braking. Not saying ABS couldn't be a factor but always check the simple stuff first. All you might need to free the caliper piston is some brake cleaner spray and a stiff bristled brush. I had a collapsed hose on a Taurus once. It delaminated inside and blocked the brake fluid from entering or exiting the caliper. Replacing the hose cured everything.

scottk706
12-01-09, 08:34 PM
I took the caliper apart and removed the piston. Everything seemed fine. A blocked hose is a good idea to try. I was able to beed the caliper tho. If it was blocked could I do that?

scottk706
12-04-09, 10:33 AM
replaced the caliper. stopping a lot better. thanks