: 98 N* engine, blue valve cover washers?

ponyboyt
11-30-09, 02:45 PM
Just trying o find out if there has been some major work to this engine. It's in a 98 Concours with 400,000 km's on it. I know thats a lot of k's. The entire front end was redone and was probably over $4000 worth of work. Anyway, onto the engine:

I havent seen a 98+ engine, all the ones i've messed with were older, so maybe im wrong. The rubber washers for the valve covers are blue. All the ones i saw before are black or white. These ones are BRIGHT florescent blue. I also noticed the dog-bones and bushings are new and in very good shape, which i understand is impossible for a car with 400,000k. The anti-freeze is bright green and filled pretty high, and i noticed some flakes floating around on top. Not sure if hes trying to hide something here. I watched the car idle for a good 20+ minutes and the temp needle was maybe 1 milimiter past the center line the entire time. Oddly, when i cracked the resevoir cap it did not leak out the overflow hose, when i cracked another notch the pressure released around the cap itself. (tiny mess, i cleaned it up heh). It shifts into reverse and drive very smothly, no clunk or movement, so mounts are all good.

Has this engine been out?

Submariner409
11-30-09, 04:08 PM
Call Jake.........

ponyboyt
11-30-09, 04:17 PM
thereis just something about bothering people when i KNOW they are really busy, i know i hate it when my phone is ringing off the hook and im trying to finish of a few computers for the day :(

tateos
11-30-09, 05:01 PM
The FELPRO ones I installed when I did my HG job were blue, just like you described.

eyekandyboats.inc
11-30-09, 05:59 PM
on our 97 the original ones were orange. i do beleive and aftermarket are bright blue from FELPRO
if its bright green coolant then the collant system has been maintained i assume. Possibly had the heads done at one time and did the sensible thing and used prestone coolant.

also if it is very full ( did you just buy it ?) then maybe there is a HG issue which is is trying to avoid for a little while by over filling it just long enough to sell it ?
either that or the previous owner actually didnt know!

ponyboyt
12-01-09, 09:25 AM
I can pick up the car for half the price of a pair of brand new control arms. And it has brand new front control arms, go figure. I was looking at it for a parts car, and when i went to see it i told the guy i wouldnt feel right ripping it apart. The car is gorgeous. The only rust on it is on the face of the trunk under the license plate. I saw the list of work he has done in the last 20,000 km's. Its a lot of work. Since he did all that the alternator went, and the power steering pump is noisy as hell. He has given up on the car. I have an alternator and power steering pump in my garage. Im seriously thinking of just buying it to drive for the winter. (there is a new ABS pump in there, traction and ABS work). If it passes safety and our great Ontario emissions test, then way to go me on a good find. If the engine blows up, oh well. Heck it might be worth doing the heads.

The one thing i keep thining is, what are the odds that the heads would go NOW? It has 400,000 km's. Why would it wait til now? I doubt its been studded, the car came from Arizona less than 18 months ago. Likely helicoil or timeserts. I took some pics with my moms camera, they are on her computer, ill see if i can post one this aft.

ponyboyt
12-01-09, 10:53 AM
ok i shrunk that pic down to 300x180 jpeg and it still exceeds quota... now im frustrated...
Oh... got it heh

eyekandyboats.inc
12-01-09, 11:35 AM
go for it

ponyboyt
12-01-09, 11:59 AM
i am. Picking it up tomorow at 7. Taking a chance yet again. I steal is a steal but.... what good is getting a great car at a great price if it needs a $3000 repair in a month?

eyekandyboats.inc
12-01-09, 12:54 PM
well good luck with it! hoping your can do everything your self. if not? why not part it out. and then once it has been scavenged haul it to the junk yard with 4 donut tires on it. LOL
how much are you paying if you dont mind me asking

ponyboyt
12-01-09, 12:59 PM
700 Canadian.

If it doesnt pan out, im pulling the entire front end for my sts, which is the original reason i went to look at this car. It's a concours, same control arms, nt sure about magnastear. BEST CASE SCENERIO: hope i can just unbolt the whole frame and bolt it into mine. If not, ill peel it apart and transfer peice by peice.

Oh, and it comes with a spare set of clean rear air shocks that will also bolt on my STS. Nice bonus :)

eyekandyboats.inc
12-01-09, 01:05 PM
where in ontario are you ?

tateos
12-01-09, 01:09 PM
You still have the control arms, so you have lost nothing. Add in the electrically adjustable air shocks,, and you can't lose - they are ~ $400 each new, even for the Monroes. You're right - looks like a nice car to me - too nice to crush.

ponyboyt
12-01-09, 01:30 PM
LOL. that would make this the 4th decent 90's caddy we have raped with a bobcat this year.

ponyboyt
12-02-09, 03:32 PM
freak! My STS is 1000 a year to insure, this things 1500 wtf! oh well.... I will try and get some video of this $800 winter beater tonight. I paid an extra hundred for the extra set of rear FE3 shocks.

ponyboyt
12-07-09, 03:18 PM
seems to run fine, has more power than my sts but the sts desnt run right.... rides smooth as hell, hewasnt lying about all the suspension work and stuff.

Battery isnt charging. Alternator is 8 months old but not charging. Battery light was on so i had a look at wiring, the signal wire to the alt was cut and re-taped together so i put some new wire in and used heat-shrink and wrapped it up good in tape. Light is out now but still says battery no charge so im pulling the alt to have it tested. Other than that the car seems fine, just one of the wheel speed sensors is not working which is weird cause he said he replaced both back bearings and i know its the back not working :cookoo:

Could be cause the car sat since march, but so far looks like it'll be my winter beater.

eyekandyboats.inc
12-07-09, 04:00 PM
nice buy man! good find