: Wet Carpet on passenger side??

BossLady
11-30-09, 12:38 AM
So I have a 2001 Cadillac Catera. And the carpet only on the passenger side has been getting soaking wet lately...it has been raining quite a bit but it doesn't seem plausible water would be getting through from underneath the car. Also the other day while I was driving I heard like water draining from somewhere..like under the glovebox area. I was told this could be a heater hose problem. Anyone experience this problem and have some input? I still have to do some further investigating like check the water level, wouldn't that be getting low if it was the heater hose draining?

mike1588
11-30-09, 01:06 AM
Im still pretty new with cats but i would check the heater core for leaks that is what it sounds like to me. I saw a thread for at some point they had that problem and fixed it and there is a way to drain the water also i am still pretty new with this forum but just do a search on the heater core you are bound to run into the thread sorry i couldnt be of more help though.

Mike

crazcaddyguy
12-01-09, 05:01 AM
If your car is not over heating than more than likely is that you got a pluged drain hole that is on the passenger side of the engine bay on the bottom you can't miss it rite below the overflow tank I think but anywho when you see it clear it out and your water issue gone as far as the water in there now use a wet vac or car wash one good luck!

xanax06
12-01-09, 01:59 PM
If your car is not over heating than more than likely is that you got a pluged drain hole that is on the passenger side of the engine bay on the bottom you can't miss it rite below the overflow tank I think but anywho when you see it clear it out and your water issue gone as far as the water in there now use a wet vac or car wash one good luck!

Exactly. I had the same thing. The water comes in thru the cabin air filter.
It happens every year when the leaves start falling.

BossLady
12-01-09, 09:13 PM
Very interesting! That would make sense! So then I would need to get underneath the car and find where the drain hole is and just clean it out?

crazcaddyguy
12-02-09, 03:00 AM
No need to get under the car just pop your hood and look right by passenger side tire you will see a black drain hole it will be full of whatever dirt leaves ect.

R-Caddy
12-02-09, 06:22 PM
Under the hood, passenger side, where the cabin air filter is, lift the panel and clen everything out. It's a tight spot, but there's probably a forest growing :)

investor74
12-04-09, 11:39 PM
Very interesting! That would make sense! So then I would need to get underneath the car and find where the drain hole is and just clean it out?

If cleaning out the passenger air filter compartment doesn't completely free the drain plug, here's the best tip I ever got on this forum:

Turn your front wheels to the left. Look inside the right wheel well, you can see the drain plug at the top of the wheel well. Open the plug and a gush of water will come out and you won't have any trouble for a long time.

Barry.

BossLady
12-07-09, 08:21 PM
If cleaning out the passenger air filter compartment doesn't completely free the drain plug, here's the best tip I ever got on this forum:

Turn your front wheels to the left. Look inside the right wheel well, you can see the drain plug at the top of the wheel well. Open the plug and a gush of water will come out and you won't have any trouble for a long time.

Barry.

I'll have to try that, it hasn't rained so I'm not sure if I got the blockage out or not...all I can see are 2 pretty big size drain holes that is to the right of the water tank and down a bit...doesn't seem like that's where the air filter compartment is, I'm having trouble finding exactly where that is. Anyone know where to find a diagram?

R-Caddy
12-07-09, 10:20 PM
Let's see what we've got here
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/panel.jpg
I can't remember now, but you may have to remove a couple plastic tabs under the windshield rubber stripping.

investor74
12-07-09, 11:04 PM
Did you add the bar between the strut towers? What does it do?

Barry.

R-Caddy
12-07-09, 11:09 PM
Yes I did :D It flattens the car in the curves and makes it stiffer due to both struts more or less working at the same time. Check out the Suspension Conversion Thread for more info like that ;)

BossLady
12-13-09, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the picture man I'll look under there when I get the chance. I also did turn the wheel to the left to try and locate a drain plug under the wheel well but found nothing..hmm well hopefully it doesn't start getting wet..it's starting to snow around here now!

BossLady
12-14-09, 06:20 PM
Success! I lifted that panel and was able to get under the cabin air filter where there was a nice packing of pine needles and dirty mud so I spent a good 20 mins trying to scoop it out scratching my arm up and finally decided to take out the cabin air filter assembly to really be able to get to it so I cleaned that out and am hoping it won't overflow again..it seems like there was just a rubber cup that had all the dirt packed into it...not sure if it led anywhere but hopefully it's not totally packed all the way in there. Thanks for your help! Oh yeah also there are some clips underneath the windshield stripping, there's supposed to be 3 but I only had one and it's a simple turn to match up with the hole and pull it out.

R-Caddy
12-14-09, 07:43 PM
Yep, that's exactly how you do it. Actually, that rubber cup leads to the exit in the wheelwell.
Good job ;)

AHazzardToAll
12-14-09, 09:05 PM
i just stuck a pressure washer down in mine on both sides n made sure to wash all the gunk completely out/off of the car.