: Brain fart

rocketeer
11-30-09, 12:00 AM
Yesterday afternoon I was going to the mall and I noticed the display was dead. Tried the Nav, Config, Audio nothing dead as the proverbial door nail. Checked fuse in the parking lot at Walmart fuse ok. Run a few more errands still a dead display. Radio played fine it just took me a little while to figure out what station I had. Start her up one more time to go home and the display came on like it should except now I noticed the ac was on, passenger control was off and driver temp settings were not what I had, my DIC display was reset to zero on fuel economy, mirrors were changed (not seats)
It's been fine ever since. Anyone run into this before?

jwa999
11-30-09, 12:22 AM
One time, a few weeks ago my display went completely dead when i turned off the a/c unit. And it came back on when i turned the air back on. Never done that before. ON button for the radio didn't do anything. 12/08 build. Updated radio/ac software. Occasionally a/c fan acts funny.

Hans.

Silver -V-
11-30-09, 10:03 AM
A couple of months back I had the screen in the center stack not come on at all. The radio worked, but no display. I parked after about a 5 minute drive shut the car off, and re-started the car. When it started up, the entire system was working fine just like before the issue. At my next oil change/service, the dealer could not find an issue. I put it down as an electronic gremlin who went away. There have been no issues since.

Like JWA - 12/08 build, and updates/TSBs all serviced and up to date.

wait4me
11-30-09, 10:05 AM
yeah it happened to me also a few times.. I thought it was temperature related, but i havent noticed the exact temp yet. it was 28F around there.. It just makes the screen completely unresponsive. All the buttons to make it go up and down dont respond either during that time..

The problem hasn't happend though after i put in my navigation hack box though ever again.. So i never got to look to see the exact steps needed to make the screen not work..

mpouls1
11-30-09, 11:34 AM
It too has happened to me. It happened a few months back. Temp. was around the 40's so I attributed it to that. Would happen in my SRT8 when it was really cold. Just thought it was weird.

The screen would be down and blank after I started the car up to drive. Nothing would show up on the screen but radio was on just couldn't see any info. It would pop back on between 1-5 minutes. I did not shut car off. Mine is 03/09 build date I don't know if I have the update. It has not happened again since. It happened 3 times.

FastRunner
11-30-09, 09:34 PM
It has happened twice to me in the summer. Another strange thing I noticed at the race track during the quarter mile, my nav screen would split and show a compass on the one half after a run. I would have to put the screen down and then put it back up to get the full nav screen again.

rocketeer
11-30-09, 11:29 PM
Interestingly I also have a 12/08 build date. It was a bit chilly low 40's so maybe it is temp related, it was definitely the coldest I've had the car out, I worry about traction at low temp.

The screen would go up and down while it was dark. It was a good hour or so and several restarts when it finally decided to work with the collateral syptoms of ac being turned on etc.

Baxman
11-30-09, 11:41 PM
I have a 12/08 build date, too. My screen stays dark for a few seconds when the weather is colder, but always illuminates eventually.

Speaking of "brain-farts", last week I left the fob IN the car in my garage. When I tried to get back in later, it was locked! I called OnStar for a remote unlock, and sure enough the fob was inside. How does THAT work? :hmm:

AuPanda
12-01-09, 08:19 AM
Happened to me yesterday for the first time...at exactly 8,000 miles.

Vrocks
12-01-09, 11:07 AM
It usually happens to me if I start the car and immediately put the car in gear (no more than a couple of seconds later).

One thing I have noticed is if I cycle through my presets faster than the screen updates; the screen gets confused and the preset buttons light up in a confused manner.