: New to the forums!

mike1588
11-29-09, 11:17 PM
Hello my name is mike im new to the whole cadillac thing. I bought a 97 catera with 192000 miles and it runs pretty good i havent had any problems with it so far and i have had the car a month now the transmission needs some work though. My biggest problem now is the suspension my rear passanger tire wobbles while driveing and the tire is slanted i dont know why that is i know i need new shocks i am thinking about going with the monroe air shocks on rock auto for 100 for the set of 2 but i dunno i may do the gto swap on those. now i want to find a rebuild kit for the engine also but i have had no luck on finding one cause i want to have the trans and engine rebuild by next summer so i am gonna start buying everything next month i have never done a rebuild so if someone could help me with a parts list that would be great

R-Caddy
11-29-09, 11:37 PM
Welcome Mike.
I would be easy on that complete engine rebuild. Probably cheaper to get a new 3.2, since a lot of parts (bearings) will have to include a sstop to the dealer...
You can buy the Monroe shocks, or you could buy new GTO shocks for about $32 a piece. Either way it will work. As far as the wobble goes, check for bumps on the tires.
Transmission will be a little trickier. I am not aware of a rebuild kit, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist.
Some of the parts on the car may be slightly more dufficult to find, but a lot is available in UK.
Good luck,
Aras

mike1588
11-29-09, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have been doing research on the site for about a week on the car and i had the tires rotated yesterday and the wobble is still there i know there is something up with the suspension because when i have someone it the front and back seat the leveling light will come on and sometimes it will blink and some times it will just stay on not flashing. but for almost 200,000 miles the car is great it runs hot but has not overheated but i dont let it idle for long periods of time unless i am warming it up.

mike1588
11-30-09, 03:08 PM
what kind of spark plugs do you guys recomend to put in it i want to replace them soon.

Matera97
12-01-09, 05:00 PM
I think your shocks are no longer holding air. Basically the light comes on steady when it is unable to relevel itself. If they are the OEM shocks, you'll notice that the lower boot (air bag) will probably have cracks all through them.

mike1588
12-01-09, 05:14 PM
Yes i inspected them i think they are the original ones so i found some monroe air shocks on rock auto for 90 for a set so im gonna get those next week im still debateing on wether or not i wanna try to do them myself or not theres alot of work that needs to be done with just the suspension but im working on all that before i do anything with the engine.

elvin315
12-01-09, 05:39 PM
My biggest problem now is the suspension my rear passanger tire wobbles while driveing and the tire is slanted i dont know why that is.

I know i need new shocks i am thinking about going with the monroe air shocks on rock auto for 100 for the set of 2 but i dunno i may do the gto swap on those.

Please clarify something. What do you mean by slanted? The Catera's semi-trailing arm suspension normally cants the rear wheels in at the top. Are both wheels "slanted" the same? This might be normal. If it's "slanted" in any other way then something is broken. Lift the wheel off the ground and check the spring. It could be cracked. Remove the wheel and brake rotor to inspect the hub. It could be bent or cracked. Look at the trailing arm bushings. They could be so worn after 190K miles that the arms are out of position.

The Monroe air shocks can be found for cheaper than $100 / pair. Keep shopping. Remember, the GTO units are not air shocks. They fit and are slightly firmer but the self-leveling system must be deactivated. With all the miles and your planned rebuilds you might find some useful info in my suspension upgrade write-up:

http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/suspension-f11/catera-suspension-upgrades-part-1-t108.htm?sid=b6323fce90254706dd0cee3dddfeec13#409

PS: In the future please try using punctuation to help old farts like me understand what you're trying to say. Reading your post hurt my head.

mike1588
12-01-09, 06:23 PM
Im sorry im not great with punctuation lol. But yes both the rear tires lean with the top leaning in. I found monroe air shocks on orielys auto for 74 for the set and one of our little car lot dealers in town said i can use his discount at orielys so im good there

elvin315
12-01-09, 07:06 PM
OK, so is that "leaning in" what you're worried about or is there an actual wobble that you can feel shaking the car while you drive? Sorry but I have to ask..... have you checked the lug bolts for tightness?

Good news about the lower priced shocks.

mike1588
12-02-09, 05:23 PM
Yes i checked the lugs. I am more concerned with the wobbleing and shakeing. Now when I am driveing if i am going about 20 and i go to brake the transmission jerks really hard when i brake i dont know if its down shifting or there is a transmission mount gone bad.

R-Caddy
12-02-09, 06:19 PM
Slightly off the current topic. Spark plugs- BOSCH 4+ platinum

mike1588
12-02-09, 07:25 PM
Thank you i was curious on what most people used.

Matera97
12-02-09, 08:13 PM
I think you may have warped rotors...Can cause wobbles, brake pedal and transmission pulsations...Might be something to look in to...

mike1588
12-02-09, 09:32 PM
I will look into the rotors they look pretty old, and I can shake my front tire with the car on the ground and it will move im guessing that is the bearing and the hub...

What do you mean by transmission pulsations. Thanks

R-Caddy
12-05-09, 04:01 PM
Being able to move the tire is probably due to a worn out ball joint

CateraMV6
12-06-09, 02:15 AM
As for the spark plugs I use the latest BOSCH +4 Platinum, they cost something like 6$ but they only need to be replaced once every 100k...

OEM was BOSCH +3 on mine...

mike1588
12-07-09, 09:53 PM
Well i got rid of the cadillac today, I didn't really want to but it had to many problems it wouldn't shift into third i didn't wanna pay for something like that i didn't even put 500 miles on it. I replaced it with a 98 durango 4x4 its not as luxurious but owell it will probaly be more reliable.

Matera97
12-09-09, 07:56 PM
Sorry to hear, enjoy the durango

mike1588
12-10-09, 08:43 AM
Yeah i didnt really want to get rid of it but the durango isnt a bad ride.