: Need your opinions!!!

retho78
11-29-09, 05:08 PM
2001 Catera with 130K miles, broke down driving home. Checked under the hood saw the serpentine belt off the pulleys and the coolant completely drained (no hoses broken). The serpentine belt was replaced about 5 months ago and its not broken. What could have cause this to happen?

1. Could it be the timing belt?

2. Could it be some other problem that may have damage the water pump?

3. Any ideas how much it may cost to fix?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

xanax06
11-29-09, 11:01 PM
2001 Catera with 130K miles, broke down driving home. Checked under the hood saw the serpentine belt off the pulleys and the coolant completely drained (no hoses broken). The serpentine belt was replaced about 5 months ago and its not broken. What could have cause this to happen?

1. Could it be the timing belt?

2. Could it be some other problem that may have damage the water pump?

3. Any ideas how much it may cost to fix?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Check for missing pulley's, your water pump may have froze up causing the belt to fly off, and the coolant loss. The belts usually break.
Have you tried to start it since this happened? It should at least turn over.
If it won't turn over, you may have lost a timing belt.

retho78
11-29-09, 11:34 PM
Well, before this happened the battery light came on then the check engine light started to flash, and the car stalled...didn't try to start again after the belt came off.

R-Caddy
11-30-09, 12:40 AM
Please tell me it didn't overheat... please

retho78
11-30-09, 01:11 AM
The car ran only for five minutes before this happened. It also had plenty of antifreeze so not sure what happened for the belt to slip and drain the antifreeze. Will be towing it to the mechanic tommorrow, hopefully its just something minor.

Jea3cd
11-30-09, 10:16 AM
Sounds like the water pump to me, or the altinator froze.

I would just check to make sure it turns over.

Keep us posted.

AHazzardToAll
11-30-09, 10:50 AM
the serp belt tensioner pulley is a common problem on these as well. I'd check it first, it's easy to get to. did you ever hear any squealing or anything before this happened? Also, no belt = no alternator or water pump = no battery recharge and overheat.

retho78
11-30-09, 03:22 PM
okay folks...the engine did turn this morning and the car is with the mechanic now. Will keep you all posted on what he finds out. Also the serpentine tensioner pulley was replaced with the belt about five months ago so could be something else. I Hope its just the water pump or alternator!!!

retho78
11-30-09, 08:29 PM
Update...the mechanic said it was the water pump. I have another question when replacing the water pump don't they have to remove the timing belt cover to access the pump? The reason I'm asking is, I'm thinking to replace just timing belt at the same time.

Thanks.

Jea3cd
11-30-09, 08:32 PM
I haven't looked into that yet, but if the cover needs to come off, I would do the timing belt at the same time.

Glad to hear it was just the water pump though. Good luck.

retho78
11-30-09, 11:41 PM
I searched through this forum and it looks like the cover has to be taken out to access the water pump, so I guess will change the timing belt too.

xanax06
12-01-09, 12:44 AM
Update...the mechanic said it was the water pump. I have another question when replacing the water pump don't they have to remove the timing belt cover to access the pump? The reason I'm asking is, I'm thinking to replace just timing belt at the same time.

Thanks.

Cool beans. Glad it wasn't anything more serious.