: 68 CDV Rear Courtesy Light Cover Removal ?

randyk09cdv
11-29-09, 04:57 PM
I'm nearing the end of my refurb/cleanup of the interior of my 68 Coupe. I'm trying to replace a bulb in the rear quarter panel courtesy light (up on the hood, near the rear passenger's heads), but I'm unsure of how to remove the round metal cover with the white plastic diffuser (w/ Caddy emblem). From the lack of screws, this is most likely a clip on cover. I can't find any diagrams relating to it within any manual, so I thought I would ask the group.

Can anyone offer advice on how to remove the cover, without causing any damage?

Thanks,
R

Bro-Ham
11-29-09, 06:51 PM
Hi, Take a picture so we can see. The rear courtesy light lens in my 79 has the crest and if I remember correctly it comes off with a standard screwdriver gently pushing up the lens. Be careful because they are old and can crack and disintegrate. The service manual should show you how to do this too. Good luck! :)

01devilledts
11-29-09, 07:04 PM
The White Plastic lenses snap-in in 3 locations. Be very careful if they are brittle because you can crack them. I used a small flat-head screwdriver and worked my way around the lens. If you look closely you can see the 3 tabs that come off the bottom of the lens where they go into the metal housing. Once the lens is removed you have access to the bulb and the 2 screws that hold the bezel in place. If you cant figure it out let me know and I will take a picture with the lens removed from the bezel tomorrow when I get to my shop.

randyk09cdv
11-29-09, 08:37 PM
Attached is a picture. The metal casing and plastic diffuser seem pretty solid, with very little give. Also, there isn't one picture of this assembly in any of my print and electronic manuals/parts guides.

Thanks,
R

randyk09cdv
11-30-09, 12:25 PM
If a screwdriver could be used on this diffuser, I'm not quite sure where it would go. This thing feels pretty solid. Any idea if we are talking about the same courtesy light?

Thanks,
R

The White Plastic lenses snap-in in 3 locations. Be very careful if they are brittle because you can crack them. I used a small flat-head screwdriver and worked my way around the lens. If you look closely you can see the 3 tabs that come off the bottom of the lens where they go into the metal housing. Once the lens is removed you have access to the bulb and the 2 screws that hold the bezel in place. If you cant figure it out let me know and I will take a picture with the lens removed from the bezel tomorrow when I get to my shop.

01devilledts
11-30-09, 09:26 PM
yes, same light, its the same on my 68sdv, I didn't make it to my shop today, but I'm sure that you can get a small flat head between the lens and the metal bezel. I will for sure take a picture tomorrow and post it as soon as I get in.

01devilledts
12-01-09, 07:49 PM
here are th pictures, they are the same lights in my 68sdv and I know that they come out with a small flat head for a fact, I'm typing this while driving so sorry if my spelling is bad :)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b153/Camneedsfoodyo/Mobile%20Uploads/-6553810.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b153/Camneedsfoodyo/Mobile%20Uploads/-6553811.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b153/Camneedsfoodyo/Mobile%20Uploads/-6553813.jpg

randyk09cdv
12-02-09, 10:28 PM
Thanks so much for that great picture. It is obvious after that!

Randy

01devilledts
12-03-09, 01:08 AM
No problem,

Glad I could help