: are V motors hand built?

Ross L
11-29-09, 11:10 AM
I've seen video's of the ZR1 motors being built. I ASSume the CTS-V motor is NOT hand built. Not like it really matters, I was just thinking outloud.
Ross

jvp
11-29-09, 11:39 AM
I've seen video's of the ZR1 motors being built. I ASSume the CTS-V motor is NOT hand built. Not like it really matters, I was just thinking outloud.

Nope. The LSA is built in a different plant, via automation.

jas

neuronbob
11-29-09, 06:16 PM
This is one of the few bones of contention I have about our car.

Corvettes and some of the other V-series (IIRC) have hand-built engines signed by their maker.

Unfortunately, our engines are built en masse at the Chevrolet factory in Silao, Mexico, then shipped to Lansing for final assembly in the cars. I posted on this long ago and I'll find the link soon. We get no signature. For the price paid, I won't complain too much as some corners had to be cut in order to undercut the M5s and E55s of the world.

jvp
11-29-09, 06:50 PM
This is one of the few bones of contention I have about our car.

Corvettes and some of the other V-series (IIRC) have hand-built engines signed by their maker.

Why? The LSA is a perfectly wonderful mill just the way it is. The hand-building wouldn't improve it in any way, other than to possibly make them all closer to being identical to one another.

The only Corvettes that get hand-built motors out of Wixom are the Z06 and ZR1. The Vs in question are the STS-V and XLR-Vs, both of which are dead as a doornail.

Another question to ask is: does Wixom even have the capacity to hand-build the LSAs, along with the rest of the engines they're building? My suspicion is they don't, but I might be wrong.

jas

Ross L
11-29-09, 06:59 PM
yea, watching the video of the ZR1 motor being *built* by hand wasn't too impressive. A person handles and installs the components but it doesn't look like too much *skill* is involved. Everything was torqued using automated tools. ie push a button and wait for a green light on the wrench to light up.:bonkers: Maybe thats a good thing!?
Ross

LITTLEELVISDAN
11-29-09, 08:30 PM
STS-V and XLR-V engines are hand built and signed.. = limited production

CTS-V 1 or 2 = automation = mass produced.....

neuronbob
11-29-09, 09:32 PM
Why? The LSA is a perfectly wonderful mill just the way it is. The hand-building wouldn't improve it in any way, other than to possibly make them all closer to being identical to one another.

I think this is a minor bone of contention and should have made that more clear in my post above. I love the engine as is, but was only saying that it would have been REALLY cool to have that signature. :) Doesn't affect function or form at all, just would've been super-cool. As I said, I'm not really complaining as that could have added to the cost.

Another question to ask is: does Wixom even have the capacity to hand-build the LSAs, along with the rest of the engines they're building? My suspicion is they don't, but I might be wrong.

jas

Interesting question! :thumbsup:

Z06ified
11-30-09, 10:14 AM
The only Corvettes that get hand-built motors out of Wixom are the Z06 and ZR1. jas

Actually, there's one more Corvette engine that gets hand-built at Wixom - the LS3 for the new Grand Sport model, as it has a dry sump system. That seems to be the criteria for hand building at Wixom for some reason - if the engine has a dry sump, it gets hand built at Wixom.

It doesn't really matter. A few years ago I toured the engine plant in St. Catherines, Canada, that built the LS1 and LS6 engines. Much of the assembly was done by hand using "smart tools" that had digital torque settings, and would remind the operator if he/she forgot to torque a bolt. The primary difference was it was done on an assembly line, with many different workers building the engines, while the hand building at Wixom involves one worker building an entire engine.

jvp
11-30-09, 10:29 AM
Actually, there's one more Corvette engine that gets hand-built at Wixom - the LS3 for the new Grand Sport model

Yep, good catch. Forgot all about the Grand Sport's LS3.

jas

thebigjimsho
11-30-09, 10:40 AM
STS-V and XLR-V engines are hand built and signed.. = limited production

CTS-V 1 or 2 = automation = mass produced.....
Limited production does not equal hand built and signed. Besides, they needed to keep a close eye on those goofy N*s...

wait4me
11-30-09, 12:01 PM
Hand built would scare me lately... Wasnt it the stsv, where the guy that built mine forgot to do the final pass on the rod bolts??? At least a machine is always the same.....

Florian
11-30-09, 04:08 PM
LSA = built in Mexico.

F

Z06ified
11-30-09, 05:10 PM
Detroit's finest built in Mexico? Can't say I'm too happy about that... :(

wait4me
11-30-09, 05:17 PM
I wonder how many facilities moved to canada before and during the bankrupcy stuff was going on? It was probably smart that they did it all out of country.. They cant take stuff from out of country.. Dies, presses, plastic forms, ect.. All had to go somewhere...

GM-4-LIFE
11-30-09, 06:06 PM
I would rather GM save me the money and have a more reliably built engine. I would take robotics or automation or human assembly any day! The problem with having an engine hand built is you don't know if the person that built it was good or not. Give me the Mexico automation built LSA and the MSRP savings to go with it!

SG

LITTLEELVISDAN
11-30-09, 07:30 PM
Limited production does not equal hand built and signed. Besides, they needed to keep a close eye on those goofy N*s...
In the two cited examples STS-V and XLR-V it does..

I think they made more 09 CTS-V2's than they made STS-V and XLR-V's entire model run.

thebigjimsho
11-30-09, 07:33 PM
In the two cited examples STS-V and XLR-V it does..

I think they made more 09 CTS-V2's than they made STS-V and XLR-V's entire model run.
Sure. And have you had fun chasing down replacement parts that aren't there?

LITTLEELVISDAN
11-30-09, 07:46 PM
LSA = built in Mexico.

F
When they POP does candy come flying out???:p

LITTLEELVISDAN
11-30-09, 07:47 PM
Sure. And have you had fun chasing down replacement parts that aren't there?Ok got me on that one.. Been there done that already..