: W4M Heat Exchanger

Doct
11-28-09, 09:20 PM
Was wondering if anyone had any pics of W4m's heat exchanger upgrade. Pics of the actual unit and installed would be great if anyone has them. Thanks in advance.

Ross Racing
11-29-09, 01:16 AM
I'm interested too

vetkila
11-29-09, 11:06 AM
me too

Vrocks
11-29-09, 06:36 PM
I have some... Will upload pics soon (tonight).

Vrocks
11-29-09, 09:43 PM
I'll get better pics tomorrow.

Ross Racing
11-30-09, 12:30 AM
Is that basically a front mount intercoooler set up. May sound silly but I am not schooled in this area. How well can you see it from the front of the car.

Doct
11-30-09, 01:52 AM
Yea that's a front mount. Vrocks thanks for the pics really appreciate it and any more you can post. Did you install it yourself? If you did how was fitment and hardware included?

Gary Wells
11-30-09, 05:27 AM
Didn't Jesse (W4M) have a stock location intercooler at one time? Is this a replacement for that one? The SLIC was good for those that believe in stealth, even though not as efficient as a front mount.

aceofblitz
11-30-09, 07:47 AM
the heat exchanger is an extra addition to the stock one, it doesn't replace it. As for the installation, there are no brackets to keep that thing in place; W4M explained that the heat exchanger was designed to perfectly fit into that space. I got someone to weld some brackets on mine just to be safe, I'd suggest you do the same if you like cornering a lot. If you want stealth, just use that black paint they use to coat inter-coolers; you would know better than I do as I am not really into the paint business :P

Vrocks
11-30-09, 09:07 AM
Yea that's a front mount. Vrocks thanks for the pics really appreciate it and any more you can post. Did you install it yourself? If you did how was fitment and hardware included?
I didn't do the install but I was there watching when it was on the lift. The install is straight forward but you'll need something to catch the coolant when you disconnect the hoses to the existing heat exchanger.

The new heat exchanger slides up and in from under the front bumper (there are some quick release snaps on the under side of the bumper). From there you would connect it using the existing stock tubing i.e. you don't need to buy any additional tubing / parts in order for the new heat exchanger to work.

The fitment is excellent but it can move about an inch or so back and forth (left and right) - some foam on either side would prevent that.

The one thing you'll want to be careful of is some possible chafing of factory hoses that rest in the area. When mine was installed they had some sticky foam that they applied to a small area on the engine side of the heat exchanger, to create a buffer between the hoses and the unit. Other than that (and it may not even be an issue, we were just being extra cautious) the fitment is excellent, the heat exchanger is solid, and it was in excellent condition when I recieved it.

wait4me
11-30-09, 10:29 AM
Thanks guys.

Yes the heat exchanger is a direct ADD IN to your stock system..

It allows for more fluid volume needed to help the cooling system be able to dissapate the extra heat generated from boost..

It takes ALOT more time to see an increase in boost temperatures when our heat exchanger is installed inline with the stock one.

And the faster you drive, the more it cools itself down also. It normally stays pretty close to ambeint air temps always after you put it in place. :)

Doct
11-30-09, 02:04 PM
Thanks for all the info and pictures, really appreciate it.

Ross Racing
11-30-09, 03:32 PM
I can't really tell from the pictures. How visible is it through the grill?

Vrocks
11-30-09, 04:02 PM
I can't really tell from the pictures. How visible is it through the grill?
I'd say it's a very visible mod.

I'll see if I can get a picture from an actual camera and not my phone.

wait4me
11-30-09, 04:04 PM
It kinda just looks like a front mount turbo intercooler from the right angle. I get alot of comments now of, "wow is that thing turboed"

But if you paint it black it is not noticable at all..

PGA2B
12-31-09, 01:20 PM
Is this a plate design or a tube and fin? I know I have a STS but I was thinking of adding a front mount under the bumper similar to a Cobra or Lightning style exchanger to mine. Thoughts?