: Front air dam too long and too low?

dlin95123
11-28-09, 10:09 PM
I have been eyeing CTS-V for awhile. However, I think its front air dam is a bit too long and too low. Do you guys have problems with it?

Does it scrap the curb when you enter/exit a gas station or a shopping plaza? My previous car was a BMW 740i with sports package and was factory lowered. The front tires are closer to the front of the car and so I had no problem with it. But CTS-V looks to me that it may scrap the curb/ground from time to time.

Any comments will be appreciated.

David

Gary Wells
11-28-09, 10:19 PM
Welcome to the forum / site. I think that it looks great, and even though I only have 1000 miles on mine, I have never scraped anything yet. It does like to stop at gas stations occasionally though.

chopmeat
11-28-09, 10:49 PM
Listen, are you kidding? You have nothing to worry about!
GM puts these cars out WAY too high!!!
When I lower this sucker then I'll be scraping it all OVER!!!:lildevil:

RapidRob
11-28-09, 11:09 PM
Yes - it's fairly easy to scrape the front facia if you aren't paying attention. I've done it a couple of times, (nothing major). After awhile you learn to avoid pulling up close to high curbs. But it sure wouldn't prevent me from buying the car again .... !

Rob

colbachlaw
11-29-09, 12:24 PM
David,

The front definitely scrapes on some driveway entries- a lot more than our CTS wagon does.

I cannot pull into my driveway at work, as it will scrape.

My fiance and my mechanic have busted up both of the lower, sacrificial, parts of the air dam.

Not real expensive to replace and they will look better when I have them painted to match the body.

We recently looked at a number of houses in the hills of Portland, and the one we bought was one of the few with a driveway flat enough for the V to get in.

Mike C

wfo
11-29-09, 01:34 PM
Colbachlaw sorry to hear about all this scraping.

I've never, ever had a scrape issue with this car (knock on wood) and hope never to experience one either. It clears all the curbs that I've had the good fortune of parking in fornt of and the parking blocks as well. My 08 Z06 was a royal pain in the arss. This car has been terrific!

And...when the aftermarket finally figures it out and makes a quality lowering kit, I'll be lowering the car an inch and still feel I'll have room.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
11-29-09, 02:50 PM
Those of you running into curbs and scraping in parking lot entrances need to pay more attention when you're driving...

dlin95123
11-29-09, 03:21 PM
Can you really avoid scraping when you exit a shopping plaza and the driveway has a steep slope?

GMX322V S/C
11-29-09, 03:38 PM
All of my other car are lowered and I have to drive them constantly being cognizant of that; my V2 is stock height but I drive it as if it were lowered; it pays off every time I hear the splitter slowly scrape when exiting certain driveways (even at an angle) or see that I've stopped short of a higher-than-average parking block that would have folded back the lower fascia. It's funny, just the other day I saw a Solstice with it's lower fascia pushed back against a standard looking block that my V would've cleared even if I didn't stop short...

wfo
11-29-09, 04:32 PM
Those of you running into curbs and scraping in parking lot entrances need to pay more attention when you're driving...

Thank you...there you have it.

Tony407
11-29-09, 05:09 PM
We recently looked at a number of houses in the hills of Portland, and the one we bought was one of the few with a driveway flat enough for the V to get in.

Mike C

I know what you mean. I live pretty close to the West Hills, and my driveway is sloped but so far no problems.

Tony

asabase
11-29-09, 05:20 PM
How does it compare to a vette? My neighbor has to back his vette in his driveway - my driveway is just as bad. Local dealers don't have any V's to test drive - not that they'd let me drive it all the way home anyway.

neuronbob
11-29-09, 06:09 PM
Never scraped anything in the V. Then again, my last three cars have been lowered and as a result, I drive as if the car was lowered. Old habits die hard!

4gear70
11-30-09, 03:18 AM
Never scraped anything in the V. Then again, my last three cars have been lowered and as a result, I drive as if the car was lowered. Old habits die hard!

Is the car low yes, if you know how to drive you will have no problem.

Like any sports car you need to learn certain things. One of them is aproaching curbs. slow and on an angle.

Exactly! :)

musclesbmf
11-30-09, 11:21 AM
Mine is low, low, low... and I never scrape. Lowered this car isn't even close to my Z06... that was low.
So to answer, no issues even when lowered.

mark

chopmeat
11-30-09, 11:33 AM
Are you guys driving the same car as me?
How can you scrape the front, it's so high?
Even when I had the Eibachs in I didn't have problems.
Maybe it's because I just came out of a Z06 and am used to being careful?.

rp161
12-02-09, 10:47 AM
My driveway is sloped also and no matter what I do going up or down the driveway it scraps. My solution
was to remove the low trim on the dam, which gives you another inch.

RapidRob
12-02-09, 11:40 PM
Are you guys driving the same car as me?
How can you scrape the front, it's so high?
Even when I had the Eibachs in I didn't have problems.
Maybe it's because I just came out of a Z06 and am used to being careful?.

There are some high curbs around here chop, and while not paying attention, or under-estimating the height, I've scraped mine a couple of times, (no visible damage). No problems with sloped drive-ways, etc., though.

Rob

thebigjimsho
12-03-09, 01:15 AM
Is the car low yes, if you know how to drive you will have no problem.

Like any sports car you need to learn certain things. One of them is aproaching curbs. slow and on an angle.
ding ding ding!!

Guys, the V1's air dam was even lower. And my V1 is lowered about an inch. I've never had a problem. You just never hit a sloped driveway straight on.

Aron9000
12-03-09, 01:45 AM
I had a 4th Gen Camaro and never had problems scraping the front. I scraped that lower air damn thing that sticks out under the car a few times on steep driveways, but I never damaged anything in that car. The big thing was to not even try certain driveways if you had some doubt about it scraping. If you saw gouge marks in the pavement where other people had bottomed out, I knew not to pull in there. I was also extra careful about not pulling all the way into spots. I NEVER put the bumper over a curb, no matter how low it was.

CTSVeee
12-03-09, 10:51 AM
My C6 Vette scraped on standard parking blocks all the time and it was stock ride height. Sometimes it was just the plastic chin spoiler, sometimes it was the frame. The plastic plastic chin spoiler that diverts air to the radiator scraped on my driveway and on several other streets in the area. Not exactly a big deal. If I pulled up in my garage all the way the front of the car would get lifted up on the curb in the garage...by the square metal frame that supports the front bumper...not exactly a pleasant sound....so I learned to stay back.

With the V, on my first night pulling into the garage, I was nervous. This car is bigger than my Vette and it would have to pull all the way up for the rear to clear the closing of the garage door. When I pulled in, I had my girlfriend get out to verify the clearance of the chin spoiler. I inched forward slowly...and luckily I clear the curb in my garage by about 1/2-3/4 of an inch. So now, no problems at home. I have yet to scrape on any curb or parking block anywhere. If I park somewhere that I've never been before I just scan the parking block or curb as I pull in. If it's high, you'll know because it will be covered in scrapes. If so...I just stop short.

Like I said, no problems on any roads here in South Florida yet...but this is only the beginning of week #2 with the V.