: 92 Brougham Noisy Wiper Chatter

mrtalkradio
11-28-09, 01:58 PM
Not sure if I'm the only one with this issue, but it is irritating to say the least.
Noisy wipers bouncing and chattering while wiping. I've tried 3 different wipers, they all do it including the rain x wipers. I am convinced the old blade (arms) were heavier keeping the rubber in contact with the windshield. I have tried the bartenders friend trick to, it lasts for about 10 minutes. I am about to get some lead and form it around the arms. Any other suggestions? :alchi:

csbuckn
11-28-09, 06:53 PM
i would suggest new arms over lead weight. the wiper motor may not last long with extra weight. Kinda like the double bladed wipers, the motor has to push 4 blades. Just not made for the extra resistance

sven914
11-28-09, 08:49 PM
Mine chatter too. It only happens when I have them going too fast for the amount of water on the windshield. Do your's still chatter when you slow them down?

Warren_R
11-29-09, 03:40 AM
Mine will chatter or squeak the first minute or so after starting, then quiet down to a hushed "squik squik" sound. My guess is that a thin layer of water forms between the glass & wiper edge; eliminating any rubbing. BTW, I did buy some Bosch wipers for around $18 a piece to try ... anyone else use these?
Just my own 2 bits here ....

mrtalkradio
11-29-09, 12:40 PM
Do your's still chatter when you slow them down?

Yes they chatter always at any speed, except for the first wipe.

mrtalkradio
11-29-09, 12:41 PM
i would suggest new arms over lead weight. the wiper motor may not last long with extra weight. Kinda like the double bladed wipers, the motor has to push 4 blades. Just not made for the extra resistance

Thank you, I never thought about that. I will get new arms and post after.

carnut
11-29-09, 09:09 PM
Try cleaning the windshield with a cornstarch paste. Most chatter is because of contaminants on the glass. I've also used an ammonia and water mix with 000 steel wool pads.

jayoldschool
11-29-09, 09:21 PM
Clean, then wax your windshield.

drmenard
11-29-09, 10:42 PM
you have to start with a clean glass..Then I only use rain X windshield washer fluid. And I felt that the rain X lattitude blade was the best and work great. But last week I was at BJ's club and I seen a blade that looked just like the Lattitude..It was made by Peak...so I tried them ... they seam to be as good or better than the lattitude and were like $13 each.. the lattitude around here are $20 each....

mjs182004
11-30-09, 11:55 PM
I have rain x on my windshield, the last wipers i had lasted from last winter. well they finally started to chatter across the window. went to wal-mart and picked up a set of pylons and the work beautiful again.

jey
12-05-09, 11:36 AM
Clean, then wax your windshield.

Doesn't wax break down rubber though?