: 91 Brougham wet passenger floor

vpatasce
11-28-09, 02:11 PM
My 91 Brougham has a wet passanger side floor, dfront and rear since driving in the rain. We've had a lot recently. The windshield does not leak. The carpet on the sides of the foot well isn't wet. I looked underneath and there's an oval shaped opening stamped in the steel but when I tap it, it's solid.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Vince

75 Coupe
11-28-09, 02:32 PM
Does it smell like coolant ?
It may be a bad heater core...

creeker
11-28-09, 05:02 PM
My 91 Brougham has a wet passanger side floor, dfront and rear since driving in the rain. We've had a lot recently. The windshield does not leak. The carpet on the sides of the foot well isn't wet. I looked underneath and there's an oval shaped opening stamped in the steel but when I tap it, it's solid.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Vince

You didn't say if you have a sun roof or not,if so it could be clogged drain lines.

vpatasce
11-30-09, 02:22 AM
It does not smell like anti freeze and I do not have a sun roof. Since the rain stopped, the floor has dried out. I'm going to not drive it in the rain until I get this figured out.

robb257731
11-30-09, 03:25 PM
I had the same issue in my 1992 Brougham. Always seemed to happen while it was raining, so like you I thought it was the windshield leaking, or a hole in the floor. I had both checked and they were fine. Turned out it was the air conditioner...We had a really rainy summer, and it seemed the floor was always wet. Finally we had a good hot day, and I took the car to the beach...probably 2 hours each way with the AC on the whole time. My friend put his bare foot down on the floor and it was soaked with freezing cold water. A drain must have been plugged. The damp/wet floor didn't only happen in the summer though, but I believe the ac compressor runs when the temp is on auto, so that would account for the year round damp. Check yours out.

mjs182004
12-01-09, 12:52 AM
Also check your door seals.

vpatasce
12-01-09, 02:33 AM
WOW! Thank you! I didn't think about the condensate drain. I will let you know what I find.

robb257731
12-01-09, 10:09 AM
WOW! Thank you! I didn't think about the condensate drain. I will let you know what I find.

When I sold Edward (that's what I called the Brougham), I took the buyer out for a test drive. Again, really hot, humid day. I had the AC on. I had taken him out for a few kms, and on the way home I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye....I looked down and there was a STREAM of water coming down from under the passenger side dash. It was like someone had turned on a tap. Thank god the guy was a bit of a redneck and was wearing construction boots! He bought the car and we were both happy!

vpatasce
12-02-09, 08:44 PM
I recently had the AC worked on. This afternoon it was raining and I went out to check the car. Hadn't even driven it in the rain and there was a puddle of water on the floor coming from under the dash! I called the guy that worked on it and he's going to check it out and see if he missed a spot sealing it up after he replaced the evaporator (don't ask).

Vince

greencadillacmatt
12-03-09, 12:38 AM
Have him find and clear the AC drain while he's at it. I have heard of some cars holding over a gallon because of clogged drains. Can you hear a sloshing noise when driving?

vpatasce
12-04-09, 09:56 PM
I recently had the AC worked on. This afternoon it was raining and I went out to check the car. Hadn't even driven it in the rain and there was a puddle of water on the floor coming from under the dash! I called the guy that worked on it and he's going to check it out and see if he missed a spot sealing it up after he replaced the evaporator (don't ask).

Vince

Well, the verdict is in. The AC part on the firewall hadn't been sealed properly after the evaporator was replaced. YAY! Hopefully it's dry from now on.

greencadillacmatt
12-05-09, 04:53 AM
Well good. I'm glad that was sorted out, and your passenger's feet will be dry. :)