: no ambient lighting in footwells because...

ecorpuz12
11-27-09, 10:38 PM
...the recaro seats option deletes the LEDs? can anyone else with recaros confirm this?

jwa999
11-27-09, 10:45 PM
There is ambient light in the footwells in my 2009 automatic with recaros when i open the door...

vade_R
11-27-09, 10:47 PM
my car is a 2/09 build date, white, loaded 6-speed, with recaros and there is ambient lighting in both footwells, and underneath all four doors

tedcmiller
11-27-09, 11:07 PM
The lighting in the footwells when the door is open and underneath the doors is not ambient lighting. The ambient lighting only appears in the footwells after the doors are closed. and is a very soft light. I do not have Recaro seats so I can't confirm that their presence eliminates ambient lighting in the footwells, but I am confident that the lighting described by the other posters that is present when the door are open or underneath the doors is not ambient lighting.

cbloveday
11-27-09, 11:52 PM
I have the recaros and have the lighting under the doors and the lighting under the dash just above my feet and the passengers feet as well.

build date 4/09

tbss08
11-27-09, 11:52 PM
Mine has a build date of 3/09 with Recaro's and it has the ambient lighting in the footwells.

vade_R
11-27-09, 11:57 PM
just to follow up, YES...after the doors close and the car is moving there is ambient lighting (very dim) on both footwells and the dash trim and all 4 interior open handles.....again my car has the recaros

ecorpuz12
11-28-09, 07:20 AM
how interesting...ok, thanks guys....i guess it's back to the dealer to have that checked out. is the LED actually attached to the seat or on the floorboard? i looked under there but didn't see anything. Apr 09 build date.

cbloveday
11-28-09, 09:32 AM
I too needed to clarify exacly what the ambient lighting in the Vs are.

I checked my window sticker and it has ambient lighting on the list of features. It is not an option. It is listed under the standard equipment section.

My build date is 4/09. I found this thread under the 2008+ CTS forum, complete with pictures.

I am assuming that the ambient lighting is the same for the CTS and the V.

They reference a kit and part number. Could someone clarify if the hookup is the same for the V as the CTS? If so, it is a $50 item assuming you have juice going to the connectors.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-appearance-mods/180317-ambient-light-front-footwells.html

GM-4-LIFE
11-28-09, 11:28 AM
how interesting...ok, thanks guys....i guess it's back to the dealer to have that checked out. is the LED actually attached to the seat or on the floorboard? i looked under there but didn't see anything. Apr 09 build date.

The ambient lighting comes from either the knee bolster area or underneath the actual dash area. If you are looking for it, look towards the firewall of the car as if you are sticking your head above the brake pedal.

Hope this helps.

SG

6DN69
11-28-09, 01:39 PM
The ambient lighting comes from either the knee bolster area or underneath the actual dash area. If you are looking for it, look towards the firewall of the car as if you are sticking your head above the brake pedal.

Hope this helps.

SG

I have a 2010 with recaro and do not have the ambient light. It's located underneath so there will be two lights for those who have it and one light and a hole (missing light) for those who don't. I ordered the kit awhile back and went to install it today but to my surprise the two wire connector is missing so I can't even install one if I wanted to...bummer.

ecorpuz12
11-28-09, 05:02 PM
i looked underneath both sides of the dash and found similar holes in both sides...is this where the LEDs should stick out of? this is crazy, it's like an ambient light lottery or something....some winners, some losers.

for orientation purposes, this pic is the driver's side...the seat is towards the top and the firewall at the bottom.

also, if this is supposed to be standard equipment on 09's, i'm assuming dealer will remedy at no cost.

ecorpuz12
11-28-09, 05:19 PM
nevermind...there are pics which clarify that the hole shown is where the LED sticks out on the thread that cbloveday linked in his post. still dumb that some of us got em and some didn't....wtf. the plug is there too, just missing the LEDs for each side.

vade_R
11-28-09, 07:55 PM
They are not LED's, they are regular 194 style filament bulbs, I replaced all of the lights with LED's, and I believe these are standard in all 09's
of course I mean both the dome lights, under the doors and the bright lights on the footwells when you first open the doors. Not sure what kind of bulbs
are the ambient lights in the footwells because I can tell that these are not the same ones that light up when you first open the doors

tbss08
11-29-09, 08:25 AM
I drove mine last night and confirmed both front and back footwells have the ambient lighting. This is with the Recaro seats. My build date is 03/09 not sure if this makes a difference or not. This could be something they deleted along the line to save a little cash. On the Corvette GM deleted the interior ambient lighting which came from above the passenger side to light the shifter and center console in mid year 08.
It is all about saving a few cents on each car to make more of a profit.

cbloveday
11-29-09, 08:28 AM
I would like to thank RAB for researching and posting his installation instructions and pics. Here is his info on the REAR ambient lights
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-appearance-mods/176048-ambient-light-rear.html

I have the interior ambient lighting listed on my window sticker.
So either that refers to the sensor or they did not install lights on my 09 CTS-V
I have read where that was discontinued on the V. Will clarify Monday with Dealer

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/windowsticker.jpg

However, I found only the connectors and no lights

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/ambientlight.jpg

This is what it should look like (driver side) installed

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/ambientlights.jpg

For those interested in ordering or pressing the dealer for free remedy,
you should request Front PN 19170639, Rear PN 19170640
RAB suggested that you check for voltage even if you have the connectors

Note: the rears require alot of work. Check RAB's installation instructions in above thread
before ordering to determine if you feel the result is worth the labor
Also, if you order they can be ordered through gmpartsdirect.com for less than dealer.

Thanks again RAB for posts (and giving me something else to sweat)

tbss08
11-29-09, 09:15 AM
What month was your build date? Just curious when GM stopped the lighting.

cbloveday
11-29-09, 09:18 AM
04/09
I would appreciate others posting their CTS-V build date and whether they have the lights or not.

ecorpuz12
11-29-09, 01:49 PM
04/09....makes me scratch my head that GM would try to save about 38 bucks by not including these in newer builds. cblove...if you happen to test your connector with a voltmeter, please let all of us know your results.

6DN69
11-29-09, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the photos cbloveday...

I'm missing the connector (in the red circle) so I can't add the lights.:annoyed:

tbss08
11-29-09, 05:00 PM
04/09....makes me scratch my head that GM would try to save about 38 bucks by not including these in newer builds. cblove...if you happen to test your connector with a voltmeter, please let all of us know your results.

Actually when you figure in the cost of the circuit, wiring and the light it might be a bit more per car. Add that up over the model run and it could be a good chunk of change. If I had a choice I would want the lighting it adds a little more class to the car.

4gear70
11-29-09, 05:02 PM
I have the interior 'ambient' lighting in my V (built 03/09) and my window sales/options sticker that I looked up calls it - INTERIOR ACCENT LIGHTING.

cbloveday
11-29-09, 05:15 PM
I have the interior 'ambient' lighting in my V (built 03/09) and my window sales/options sticker that I looked up calls it - INTERIOR ACCENT LIGHTING.

HMMM, Interesting.
Do you also have the recaros?
I will post back within an hour on if I have juice to my connectors.

04/09 build date
connection but no lights
recaros

cbloveday
11-29-09, 05:18 PM
04/09
I would appreciate others posting their CTS-V build date and whether they have the lights or not.

Edit: Also include window sticker option for interior lighting, whether you have connectors and if you have recaros.

tbss08
11-29-09, 05:40 PM
03/09 build date with accent lighting on window sticker. Recaro's with ambient lighting in both the front and back.

cbloveday
11-29-09, 06:18 PM
I just checked for current with a voltage meter and the connector has power. I will buy the front ambient lights tomorrow :)

ecorpuz12
11-29-09, 06:28 PM
I just checked for current with a voltage meter and the connector has power. I will buy the front ambient lights tomorrow :)

that's good news, i guess i'll be ordering mine tomorrow too. i think i'll skip the rear footwells though, sounds like too much work and i don't care to remove all the paneling to access the wires. thanks for checking and posting the results cblove.

looks like cars built after 03/09 are SOL...what a difference a month makes.

cbloveday
11-29-09, 08:33 PM
that's good news, i guess i'll be ordering mine tomorrow too. i think i'll skip the rear footwells though, sounds like too much work and i don't care to remove all the paneling to access the wires. thanks for checking and posting the results cblove.
looks like cars built after 03/09 are SOL...what a difference a month makes.

Eecorpuz,

My pleasure. I found out about this irregularity by reading the post put up by RAB and others. They did the legwork.

I just wanted to share my case and hopefully help others out.:thumbsup:

GMX322V S/C
11-30-09, 01:28 AM
03/09 build date with accent lighting on window sticker. Recaro's with ambient lighting in both the front and back.Mind posting a picture of your rear ambient lighting? I have front but not rear footwell ambient lighting. My build date is 10/08, with Recaros.

dvandentop
11-30-09, 01:48 AM
maybe someone can post up the serivce manuals like the guy did for the previous series, even though it was somewhat of a secret to get access :D

4gear70
11-30-09, 03:13 AM
HMMM, Interesting.
Do you also have the recaros?

Yes, I have Recaros.

cbloveday
11-30-09, 10:16 AM
I spoke to my Cadillac dealership this am and explained the situation. They are ordering all 4 foot well ambient lights and doing the install for me. All will be done at no cost to me. Other members may want to do the same and see what the delaership will do.

Z06ified
11-30-09, 11:16 AM
That's pretty cheezy if they discontinued the ambient lighting, especially since they still advertise it as a feature. Does anyone have a 2010 model that has the ambient lighting? I was looking forward to this feature. I don't have my car yet to check - will in a few days! :D

GM-4-LIFE
11-30-09, 11:24 AM
Looks like my 2010 CTS-V being built either the week of 12/7 or 12/14 (not sure yet, but will be built for sure one of the weeks coming up) won't have the ambient lighting.

Looks like I will be accessing this thread for the part numbers and giving them to the delivering dealership so they can order it when I pick the car up. I will have to check to see if the factory installed them or not though before I go to them with this info.

SG

GMX322V S/C
11-30-09, 01:53 PM
I spoke to my Cadillac dealership this am and explained the situation. They are ordering all 4 foot well ambient lights and doing the install for me. All will be done at no cost to me. Other members may want to do the same and see what the delaership will do.Hey, that's great--glad to hear your dealer is stepping up. You've looked at the installation instructions for the CTS non-V--any idea how the rears will be mounted on the Recaros?

cbloveday
11-30-09, 02:21 PM
No, I took a look under there and could not determine mounting without the
light module in my hand. I would appreciate if someone has a photo of the light module mounted on the recaro's, they'd post it so I can get a better feel for how it should be mounted. This is all I've seen on the cts

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/rear20seat20light20closer.jpg

GMX322V S/C
11-30-09, 02:26 PM
Calling tbss08... :)

03/09 build date with accent lighting on window sticker. Recaro's with ambient lighting in both the front and back.

GMX322V S/C
11-30-09, 02:58 PM
No, I took a look under there and could not determine mounting without the
light module in my hand. I would appreciate if someone has a photo of the light module mounted on the recaro's, they'd post it so I can get a better feel for how it should be mounted. This is all I've seen on the cts...After reading the instructions and looking at my seat frames again, I can see there is a rectangular hole right below where you see the light in the picture mounted; the light assembly snaps into this hole. There are two holes in each rail under each seat; the lights are mounted to the "inner" holes, closest to the center console.

ecorpuz12
11-30-09, 06:20 PM
after looking at the installation manual for the rear lights, i'm not so sure i want my service guys tearing apart the inside to install those. after having them fix a couple of things in my old SRX, some of the paneling no longer fit properly. i'll probably just see if i can get the front ones done since they are an easy fix. please let us know what the aftermath of the rear install is CBLOVE. i'm thinking your service guys are probably more careful than the guys at my small town NC dealer.

tbss08
11-30-09, 07:53 PM
Calling tbss08... :)

Hello,
What do we want a picture of?? Just got home and saw this thread. How can I assist with pictures?
Leo

cbloveday
11-30-09, 07:54 PM
I'm with you.

I plan to meet the tech who is performing the work and then say something to the effect, "I know you guys are very careful regardless, but, please be very careful with the cars trim as I noticed it scratches extremely easy".
I will then give him $50 dollars (I mean it is being done NC and the holidays are here) and thank him in advance for taking extra care with my baby.

When I had the dealership do the teardown and then install of my LPE SC upgrade, I asked where my car would be parked while the parts are in transit and they agreed to park it all alone in the Used Car show room away from
all the other cars. People cannot enter without a representative, so I did not have to worry about people trying to open the door handle and get in etc.

At this point they know how I am, as this is the 4th car I have bought from them and they know I am discriminating and very careful with my vehicles.

I just had the oil changed at $3,000 miles under Cadillac maint program purchased (Smart Care).

That being said, I will still worry the whole time the car is not in my care.

cbloveday
11-30-09, 07:55 PM
Hello,
What do we want a picture of?? Just got home and saw this thread. How can I assist with pictures?
Leo

Leo, we are looking for a pic of the rear ambient light mounting on the recaro's

Thanks in advance

tbss08
11-30-09, 07:57 PM
Okay,
Let me see if I can get a shot of the lights.

tbss08
11-30-09, 08:23 PM
Okay,
I went out and took a few shots under the seat then just for curiosity sake I turned on the lights too see the glow. There was no glow in the back like I saw the other morning. I must have been seeing things when I looked in the back seat the other morning. Sorry about that I only have the ambient lighting in the front and not the back.
:thepan::thepan:

cbloveday
11-30-09, 08:37 PM
No problem, It happens. Thanks for letting us know. Anyone have rear ambient lighting on an 09 V and could post pictures? Also please advise of build date and if recaro or not. 4gear70, you got rear ambient lights on your recaros?

vade_R
11-30-09, 10:54 PM
mines is 2/09 build, recaros, only front footwells have the ambient lights

cbloveday
11-30-09, 11:51 PM
Thanks HMMM, makes me wonder if there is a spot on the recaros where the light can even be mounted. Has anyone done this?

If not, I may tell Dealership to cancle rear order. No sense in having them pull the interior apart only to realize they cannot mount them.

Anyobody?

RapidRob
11-30-09, 11:55 PM
My build date is 02/09 - loaded except for no Recaros, and manual tranny, and I have ambient lighting in both front foot-wells.

Rob

rocketeer
12-01-09, 12:22 AM
Build Date of 12/08

Recaros and 6 speed lighting in front wells only.

Playing with the dimmer control last night I found it doesn't have to be dimmed a great deal before the foot well lighting goes out

Doct
12-01-09, 01:09 AM
Build Date of 06/09

Recaros with auto no front or rear lighting. I did pull front drivers panel down and I do have the plug there so I am going to order the parts and do it myself.

tbss08
12-01-09, 07:12 PM
I took some shots under the seat and could not really see anyplace to put the light. I'll try to clean up the photo's and get a better idea. The light I noticed in the rear was from the door handles, when glancing over the shoulder while driving it alluded to the rear lights.

cbloveday
12-01-09, 07:36 PM
Thanks tbss08

4gear70
12-01-09, 08:50 PM
No problem, It happens. Thanks for letting us know. Anyone have rear ambient lighting on an 09 V and could post pictures? Also please advise of build date and if recaro or not. 4gear70, you got rear ambient lights on your recaros?

I just checked and I have accent lighting in the front (driver and passenger) foot wells as well as all the door handles and under trim pieces on dash and front doors. I do not have accent lighting under the Recaro seats for the rear foot wells.
If you'll note there should also be an accent light coming from the center of the overhead console (between the reading lights). It shines down very subtly on the shifter area.

cbloveday
12-01-09, 09:48 PM
I just checked and I have accent lighting in the front (driver and passenger) foot wells as well as all the door handles and under trim pieces on dash and front doors. I do not have accent lighting under the Recaro seats for the rear foot wells.
If you'll note there should also be an accent light coming from the center of the overhead console (between the reading lights). It shines down very subtly on the shifter area.

I just about sh**t myself when I went outside and started my car and did not see the light. :suspect:

Then I raised my hand up to the center overhead console and saw the light shine on my hand. :)

I fret now that someone is gonna post that they have accent lighting in their fuse box or something.

tedcmiller
12-01-09, 10:27 PM
I personally do not believe there is any footwell ambient lighting in the rear footwells. Only one person has indicated that this existed (tbss08), and he has since recanted that observation by saying that what he thought was rear footwell ambient lighting was actually from the rear door handle ambient lights. I agree with him that his original observation was an error and there is no rear footwell ambient lighting. I too, at first, thought the light cast by the rear door handle ambient lights was footwell light, but it is not. I do not have Recaro seats, but I do have ambient lighting in the front footwells.

I also should note that there is a difference between ambient light (the amount of light outside the car) and interior ambient lighting as it is referred to on my option list.

cbloveday
12-01-09, 11:10 PM
I think it is a given with all the replys (thanks) that earlier build dates have the front ambient but not rears. The late builds may or may not even have the connectors for the front. So, I thought I would post a pic of my rear recaros and compare the CTS wiring and seat structure to the CTS-V recaros to dwrwemine if I should let the dealership tackle installation of rear ambient on my recaros. What do you all think?

Recaro in V
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/DSC_0484.jpg

CTS with rear ambient
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/rear20seat20light20closer-1.jpg

I don't think the rears are a possibility uless the module is relocated somehow :(

tedcmiller
12-01-09, 11:56 PM
The CTS/CTS-V factory service manual (four books) from Helm does not show any wiring for rear ambient (or accent, as they call it) lights in the rear compartment footwells. The only wiring shown for the rear compartment is for the ambient lights on the rear door handles. Also, the ambient light in the front footwells on my car, with no Recaros, comes from under the dash panel, not from the under the front seat.

ecorpuz12
12-02-09, 06:38 PM
doesn't look like rear foot wells will work with recaros. i received my front LEDs today and put the driver's side in and it works great. i'll do the passenger in a bit when my daughter is encased in the high chair eating dinner. easy install, took about 2 mins.

on a side note, my driver's side door isn't aligned properly...you can tell because the chrome trim sticks out about 1/8 higher on the driver's door where it meets the rear door. going to get it fixed at the body shop on friday...should be an easy fix, probably just have to adjust the door latch.

cbloveday
12-02-09, 07:05 PM
Well I thought about my options and I plan to ask the tech to see the rear light and see how we can mount it before he tears the car down. If all else fails, at least they can do the fronts. I requested that I pick up the fronts and I will install, but they insisted on ordering and installing for me NC, so I reluctantly agreed. It was then that I requested the rears be done as well.
They said "no problem", we'll take care of it. I will post up on my findings

Z06ified
12-03-09, 02:51 PM
Well, I just got my 2010 CTS-V (11/09 build) and it does not have ambient lighting in the footwells :( I do love the ambient lighting on the dash though :):thumbsup:

cbloveday
12-03-09, 10:08 PM
Congrats on the new V. Get them Footwells done! :thumbsup:

cbloveday
12-05-09, 05:23 PM
Lamps arrived at dealer Friday, and scheduled install Tuesday for front and rear footwells.

I requested to pick up fronts as they wanted 2.5 hrs to do total install.
I told them the fronts were a simple plug and play. They told me since they are doing this as a "warranty" service @ no charge, they would have to do the install.

I will advise if they succeed in installing rear lamps on recaros :suspense: and post pics, for those that are interested

Hawkeye2
12-07-09, 06:11 PM
Lamps arrived at dealer Friday, and scheduled install Tuesday for front and rear footwells.

I requested to pick up fronts as they wanted 2.5 hrs to do total install.
I told them the fronts were a simple plug and play. They told me since they are doing this as a "warranty" service @ no charge, they would have to do the install.

I will advise if they succeed in installing rear lamps on recaros :suspense: and post pics, for those that are interested

Please do! Thanks.

Rick Moroso
12-08-09, 08:23 AM
Mine is a 2010 w/Recaros. NO footwell lighting. Where do I find my build date?

Rick

mik2718
12-08-09, 08:45 AM
Mine is a 2010 w/Recaros. NO footwell lighting. Where do I find my build date?

Open the driver's door and look in just above the door sill, toward the rear of the car. There should be a sticker there with the build date.

Rick Moroso
12-08-09, 08:54 AM
Thanks mik2718. I looked there, but not close enough. Duh.

My 2010 has a 10/09 build date. Again, no lighting in the footwells.

Guess I'll have to add it!

Rick

cbloveday
12-08-09, 11:25 AM
Update:

I just dropped the car off. Electrical/trim guy said the instructions require rear seat be removed. That is news to me after looking at the previously posted installation instructions for rear lights.

He may be running the harness differently or the newer builds require this.

Bottom line, it takes longer than 2.5 hours for all 4 lights on recaros. Tech wanted to take his time as this is the first time he had to do this. The SA said most cars come with what they state on RPO codes. They gave me a 2010 cts to drive as a loaner and will call me when complete.

mik2718
12-08-09, 02:53 PM
Thanks mik2718. I looked there, but not close enough.

When I first got mine, I must've looked 4 or 5 times before I finally figured it out. "There's a sticker on the door jamb" everyone told me, but all I'd ever see was the _other_ sticker with the tire pessure settings on it.

Happy to help.

GMX322V S/C
12-09-09, 11:51 PM
....For those interested in ordering or pressing the dealer for free remedy,
you should request Front PN 19170639, Rear PN 19170640
So do we need a qty of (2) of the PN? Each is only $37.88 at gmpartsdirect.com.

cbloveday
12-10-09, 12:11 AM
So do we need a qty of (2) of the PN? Each is only $37.88 at gmpartsdirect.com.

No just order 1 of each PN and your good to go. :thumbsup:

GMX322V S/C
12-10-09, 12:17 AM
Thanks cb!

Hondarrr
01-31-10, 03:05 AM
Mine has a build date of 3/09 with Recaro's and it has the ambient lighting in the footwells.

cbloveday
01-31-10, 07:22 AM
Got rears too?

Z06ified
04-12-10, 05:02 PM
I just checked to see if my 2010 V had the electrical connections to add the front footwell ambient lighting, and they're definitely gone. :( :mad:

I checked both sides per the instructions on this thread, and nothing. They must have removed them from the electrical harness for the 2010 model year. Mine was built 11/09.

Hawkeye2
04-12-10, 05:58 PM
I installed mine on the weekend. Easy to do, but very pricey from the dealer in Canada. GM Partsdirect will not ship to Canada. I'd
be embarrassed to tell you how they are here! Mine is a May 09 build.

cbloveday
04-12-10, 06:10 PM
Hawkeye,

Did you do the rears?

That is not as easy.

I am very pleased that I now have front and rear ft lighting with recaros!

V-Love
04-13-10, 10:14 PM
Has anybody ever seen the ambient lighting system in a newer BMW? My friends mom has one and I noticed it while sitting in the back. It was above the arm rests. Soft red glow. Real nice. They got us in that area.