: 87 Brougham wont shift out of 1st. Tranny or speed sensor?

spl explorer
11-26-09, 05:00 PM
So while driving the caddi today out of nowhere the speedometer dropped to 0 then back up to 40. The car then slowed to about 10mph and wont pickup any speed. I can hear the motor RPMs increasing but it wont shift to pick up speed. It seems as if the tranny is stuck in 1st gear. When I come to a stop I will step on the gas and everything seems normal till it reaches around 15mph. It still has reverse.

Could this be a speed sensor problem or did the tranny go out?

:confused:

spl explorer
11-26-09, 06:50 PM
Im thinking it might be in limp-N-mode? Fluid looks fine. Clear with a light red tint...

spl explorer
11-26-09, 10:02 PM
Happy thanksgiving to everyone btw.

Ok so heres the latest. Someone plz help

So I recheck the tranny fluid and it was bone dry. It wasnt before. So I went to the only place that was open, Kmart and got 2 Quarts of fluid. Put thoes in and drove around the block a few times. It finaly got out of gear like normal for a bit then started slipping again and went back to how it was in the begining. So the tranny was working on and off and doing funny stuff....

spl explorer
11-26-09, 10:10 PM
Ohh and 1 thing I noticed was when the tranny wasn't working properly the speed-o-meter was jumping everywhere. But the minute the tranny shifted and worked correctly the speed-o-meter worked...

Slacker
11-27-09, 12:17 PM
Ohh and 1 thing I noticed was when the tranny wasn't working properly the speed-o-meter was jumping everywhere. But the minute the tranny shifted and worked correctly the speed-o-meter worked...

My friends car had a speed sensor issue that did was doing a similar thing. I would check that first.

As for the fluid disappearing,are there any puddles in the driveway?

spl explorer
11-27-09, 01:26 PM
My friends car had a speed sensor issue that did was doing a similar thing. I would check that first.

As for the fluid disappearing,are there any puddles in the driveway?

Where is the speed sensor on this car? I cant seem to find it in my chilton manual.

Yes I do have a ATF leak at the rear tranny seal...

spl explorer
11-27-09, 05:43 PM
OK I went to the local pick n pull and got a speed sensor from like a 91 fleetwood. It looks the same as the one on autozone.com thats $125 for my 87. But the trannys are different. There is no place for a speed sensor that I can see on my tranny...

spl explorer
11-27-09, 06:10 PM
This is what I got and what autozone.com is telling me is for my car... But there is no place on my tranny for this...

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/wl2/SU1008/image/8/

sven914
11-27-09, 09:29 PM
The speed sensor on your car does not control transmission shifts or vehicle speed. The transmission is not computer controlled, so there is no "limp-in mode" on these. The Vehicle Speed Sensor is Mounted on the Back of the Speedometer, and is used for detecting vehicle speed during cruise control operation.

The leaking rear seal could of played a role in your not being able to get out of 1st. Basically, the lack of fluid could have cause a lack of pressure to the Intermediate Band, which is what gives you second. With the lack of pressure, the band would have been partially applied, but slipping, which slowly ate away the friction material, until you couldn't achieve second gear. When you added the fluid, you gave it enough pressure to shift, but then the lack of friction material could have caused it to start slipping.

Another thing which could be responsible for the no shift and speedometer fluctuations is the governor assembly. The governor sits on the output shaft of the transmission, and sends pressure to the clutches and intermediate band, to achieve different shifts. The speedometer cable also comes off this assembly. The governor is very sensitive to pressure, and cannot function properly with a lack of fluid. If there was no fluid, then there was no way for the governor to send pressure to the intermediate band, to shift. But the band could have been partially applied and the fiction material could be stripped off, which means if you get the leaks fixed and new fluid put in, the transmission still may not shift

Stingroo
11-27-09, 10:02 PM
So in summary of your post sven, he needs a rebuild? Or is there another solution? (my own curiosity here, lol)

spl explorer
11-27-09, 10:12 PM
The speed sensor on your car does not control transmission shifts or vehicle speed. The transmission is not computer controlled, so there is no "limp-in mode" on these. The Vehicle Speed Sensor is Mounted on the Back of the Speedometer, and is used for detecting vehicle speed during cruise control operation.

The leaking rear seal could of played a role in your not being able to get out of 1st. Basically, the lack of fluid could have cause a lack of pressure to the Intermediate Band, which is what gives you second. With the lack of pressure, the band would have been partially applied, but slipping, which slowly ate away the friction material, until you couldn't achieve second gear. When you added the fluid, you gave it enough pressure to shift, but then the lack of friction material could have caused it to start slipping.

Another thing which could be responsible for the no shift and speedometer fluctuations is the governor assembly. The governor sits on the output shaft of the transmission, and sends pressure to the clutches and intermediate band, to achieve different shifts. The speedometer cable also comes off this assembly. The governor is very sensitive to pressure, and cannot function properly with a lack of fluid. If there was no fluid, then there was no way for the governor to send pressure to the intermediate band, to shift. But the band could have been partially applied and the fiction material could be stripped off, which means if you get the leaks fixed and new fluid put in, the transmission still may not shift

Thanks so much for the info!!!

So here's the thing. My caddi has been having REALLY bad vibrations and clunking sounds from the drive train. A week ago my buddies and I took out the drive shaft and replaced the U joints thinking that was the problem. Wile everything was out we noticed the output drive shaft has some play in it and that the rear tranny seal was bad. So we put it all back together and the horrible noises were still there. We came to the conclusion its the drive shaft center support bearing has gone bad. Also I saw today that same rear main seal is ripped again and slowly leaking tranny fluid. Something caused it to rip within just a week.

So with my problems do you think it would be best to drop the tranny and take it in and inspected? Im assuming the driveshaft support bearing is in the tranny? Transmissions are not my thing as you can tell...

spl explorer
11-27-09, 10:16 PM
Assuming its the original tranny it only has 79K on it...

sven914
11-27-09, 11:20 PM
Basically the best option is to take the car to a reputable transmission shop and have it rebuilt. The only way for anyone to inspect the inside is to take it completely apart and look at the parts. Having it rebuilt would cost less than buying a new transmission, and a used one out of a junkyard will just cause you more problems down the road.

There is a bearing that supports the output shaft. The vibrations, from it being loose could have caused slippage and damage in other components.

spl explorer
11-27-09, 11:33 PM
Basically the best option is to take the car to a reputable transmission shop and have it rebuilt. The only way for anyone to inspect the inside is to take it completely apart and look at the parts. Having it rebuilt would cost less than buying a new transmission, and a used one out of a junkyard will just cause you more problems down the road.

There is a bearing that supports the output shaft. The vibrations, from it being loose could have caused slippage and damage in other components.

Would a rebuild fix the bearing or is that a different component?

Thanks

sven914
11-27-09, 11:56 PM
I don't think the bearings come in a rebuild kit. The kits deal with the internals.

If your thinking about doing this yourself, don't. Transmissions are not like engines where you can just wake up one day and say, "I going to rebuild it." Rebuilding a transmission is meticulous and you have to pay attention to every small detail. A transmission will only go together one way, and if you make a small mistake at the beginning of the assembly, then you won't realize it until it's almost done, and then you have have to disassemble it again and start over.

spl explorer
11-28-09, 02:10 PM
I don't think the bearings come in a rebuild kit. The kits deal with the internals.

If your thinking about doing this yourself, don't. Transmissions are not like engines where you can just wake up one day and say, "I going to rebuild it." Rebuilding a transmission is meticulous and you have to pay attention to every small detail. A transmission will only go together one way, and if you make a small mistake at the beginning of the assembly, then you won't realize it until it's almost done, and then you have have to disassemble it again and start over.

Money is tight because of christmas, but what do you think the cost would be around if I carryed the tranny into a shop? Will the governer be part of the tranny rebuild?

sven914
11-28-09, 09:34 PM
It depends on where you go and what the transmission needs. The best thing to do is get an estimate and see if it really needs to be rebuild. A transmission shop will be able to diagnose your specific problem and be able to tell you exactly what it needs. It might not need a rebuild or any parts beside the rear seal and a bearing (it's just a worse case scenario that the governor and the friction material could be damaged).

As to a complete rebuild, you're looking at $1500-$2500, again depending on where you go. And with a rebuild, they will replace any defective parts, the governor included.

If it comes back that you need a rebuild, then you can get a used transmission out of a junkyard. They're not ideal, but it would save you some money. The problems with junkyard transmission are that because they sit for long periods and in all weather, they get moisture in them and also you don't know if they work. If you get one from a junkyard and it works, you have to get it serviced and flushed to get all of the old contaminated fluid out. And you should save as much money as you can to have one of the transmissions eventually rebuilt, because you cannot expect the junkyard transmission to last too long.

spl explorer
11-30-09, 01:46 AM
It depends on where you go and what the transmission needs. The best thing to do is get an estimate and see if it really needs to be rebuild. A transmission shop will be able to diagnose your specific problem and be able to tell you exactly what it needs. It might not need a rebuild or any parts beside the rear seal and a bearing (it's just a worse case scenario that the governor and the friction material could be damaged).

As to a complete rebuild, you're looking at $1500-$2500, again depending on where you go. And with a rebuild, they will replace any defective parts, the governor included.

If it comes back that you need a rebuild, then you can get a used transmission out of a junkyard. They're not ideal, but it would save you some money. The problems with junkyard transmission are that because they sit for long periods and in all weather, they get moisture in them and also you don't know if they work. If you get one from a junkyard and it works, you have to get it serviced and flushed to get all of the old contaminated fluid out. And you should save as much money as you can to have one of the transmissions eventually rebuilt, because you cannot expect the junkyard transmission to last too long.

Sometime his week im going to take the caddi in and get it looked at. Hopefully if I do the uninstall and reinstall it will same me some $$$ :hmm:

spl explorer
12-02-09, 12:11 AM
So I got a few prices on a rebuid. Well first off there are 2 styles of trannys for the 87. The cheep one is a grand to rebuild. The expensive one is $1400 to rebuild. A buddy can get mine rebuilt for $600. But ive been doing some searching online and seeing people with my same problems so im going to try what solved there problems first. Being there the cheapest. I have came up with these possible problems

1. Transmission Converter Clutch (TCC)
2. Throttle position sensor
3. Transmission Control Solenoid
4. Transmission Modulator

So the question is, Where are these located? I have looked threw my Chilton manual but have found nothing. Quite a few stores online all sell these 4 parts for my car so I must have them...

sven914
12-02-09, 08:13 PM
What was the other style called? The THM200 4R is the only variety I know of.

The TCC is in the torque converter and cannot be removed; the solenoid that moves the clutch can be accessed through the trans pan. The throttle position sensor is internal to the carburettor; the the electrical connector is on the driver's front side.

Because the transmission is not computer controlled, there is no transmission control solenoid or transmission modulator.

The transmission has a TV cable, that goes from the carburettor to the transmission, and tells it how much load, but if that was adjusted, you have harsh shifts, but they would all be there. But another thing I just thought of is the manual valve, in the throttle body could be gummed up and only have two positions: reverse and LO.

spl explorer
12-03-09, 12:47 AM
What was the other style called? The THM200 4R is the only variety I know of.

The TCC is in the torque converter and cannot be removed; the solenoid that moves the clutch can be accessed through the trans pan. The throttle position sensor is internal to the carburettor; the the electrical connector is on the driver's front side.

Because the transmission is not computer controlled, there is no transmission control solenoid or transmission modulator.

The transmission has a TV cable, that goes from the carburettor to the transmission, and tells it how much load, but if that was adjusted, you have harsh shifts, but they would all be there. But another thing I just thought of is the manual valve, in the throttle body could be gummed up and only have two positions: reverse and LO.

Thanks for the info!!!

So Ill give the solenoid and TPS a try along with cleaning the throttle body...

spl explorer
12-03-09, 12:53 AM
So basically give the carb a good cleaning correct?

spl explorer
12-14-09, 07:11 PM

According to autozone.com and oreillyauto.com my transmission TH200-4R transmission (16 bolt fluid pan) has a transmission Control Solenoid... This is a special order part so should I order it and give it a try? :hide:

Easy to change out?

sven914
12-14-09, 09:25 PM
You mean this (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsShelf.jsp?displayName=Transmission+Control+So lenoid&currentPage=1&categoryDisplayName=Drivetrain&navValue=11200623&itemId=623-0&parentId=12-0)? Thats the solenoid for the Torque Converter Clutch. It doesn't control anything in the transmission itself, but to replace it you have to drop the pan. I don't know why they consider that a transmission control solenoid; in a modern transmission they call the shift solenoids control solenoids.

spl explorer
12-20-09, 06:49 PM
So I FINALY got out to take a look. I gave the carb a good cleaning and looked around. I took a look under the car and found that the rear tranny seal was and about 3”s from where it should be in the tranny. It was on the drive shaft itself, where it moves back and forth into the transmission. Checked the fluid and its full since I last filled it when this first happened. I have not drove it since. So I stated it up and drove it. Same thing. Seams stuck in 1st. Parked it and check the fluid and it had a bunch of super small bubbles in the middle of the dip stick. Fluid was a brownish red. I know the bubbles could be from air getting into the transmission threw the rear seal.

So my question is. To get the the throttle position sensor I have to take apart the carburetor? I see the plug ur talking about on the front drive side of the carb but it looks likes a plug going into another plug that goes into the carberator...

spl explorer
12-20-09, 07:09 PM
Also, my speed-o-meter still acts funny. As I was driving it it slowly sways back and forth between 0 and around 15mph. The very second this all first accrued with my transmission my speed-o-meter went crazy. This makes me think that this problem is electrical related. Could it be the seal messing this all up? Lack of pressure maybe? Its exposed to start raining anytime so cant fix the seal today.

sven914
12-20-09, 09:08 PM
On these cars, the TPS is an input to the car's ECM, which uses the information to determine how much fuel to deliver via the Computer Controlled Carburettor. TPS is not a direct factor in transmission or speedometer operation.

On these cars, the speedometer is not electronic. The speedometer is cable driven off of a gear in the governor housing.

The governor provides hydraulic pressure to transmission components, and forces it to shift. The governor is in the tail shaft of the transmission (where the seal is) and could be damaged from lack of lubrication and/or pumping air. When the governor broke, it could have cause the speedometer cable to bind, which would have given you messed up readings, and now because the cable is kinked, the speedometer is fluctuating.

spl explorer
12-20-09, 09:59 PM
On these cars, the TPS is an input to the car's ECM, which uses the information to determine how much fuel to deliver via the Computer Controlled Carburettor. TPS is not a direct factor in transmission or speedometer operation.

On these cars, the speedometer is not electronic. The speedometer is cable driven off of a gear in the governor housing.

The governor provides hydraulic pressure to transmission components, and forces it to shift. The governor is in the tail shaft of the transmission (where the seal is) and could be damaged from lack of lubrication and/or pumping air. When the governor broke, it could have cause the speedometer cable to bind, which would have given you messed up readings, and now because the cable is kinked, the speedometer is fluctuating.

Is this car pre ODB1? Is there a way to scan it for possible codes? I don't have a check engine light but it wouldn't surprise me if the guy that had the car before me took the bulb out.

So ur saying there is no way the tps could be causing this? I've seen this happen in others cars with the tps but this is an older car so I don't know.

Is the governor something that can be fixed or replaced with dropping the pan or does the entire transmission need to be replaced?

sven914
12-20-09, 10:38 PM
Because the governor isn't inside the transmission, you can replace it without having to even drop the pan.

In the tail shaft, on the bottom, there should be a round cover, with a rectangular tail. You take that off and the gasket under neath it. Right in there will be the governor assembly and the speedometer assembly.

The only way to get DTC's without a scanner is to use the check engine light. Your bulb probably burned out and needs to be replaced. Advance Auto or Autozone will scan your car for free, but their scanner's might not pick up everything or be applicable with your car.

The TPS is a crucial input in cars with computer controlled transmissions. Your transmission is controlled solely by hydraulic pressure. Your ECM doesn't even know what gear the transmission is in; it only focuses on emissions and fuel economy, which is why it commands the TCC on and off.

spl explorer
12-20-09, 10:56 PM
Because the governor isn't inside the transmission, you can replace it without having to even drop the pan.

In the tail shaft, on the bottom, there should be a round cover, with a rectangular tail. You take that off and the gasket under neath it. Right in there will be the governor assembly and the speedometer assembly.

The only way to get DTC's without a scanner is to use the check engine light. Your bulb probably burned out and needs to be replaced. Advance Auto or Autozone will scan your car for free, but their scanner's might not pick up everything or be applicable with your car.

The TPS is a crucial input in cars with computer controlled transmissions. Your transmission is controlled solely by hydraulic pressure. Your ECM doesn't even know what gear the transmission is in; it only focuses on emissions and fuel economy, which is why it commands the TCC on and off.

Thanks for all the help!

Where can you get a new governor from? Junk yard?

sven914
12-20-09, 11:18 PM
The only thing I could find online is the governor drive gear (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1027101,parttype,7860) (which could be your problem because they're plastic and get chewed up, and you won't know until you take it out). I would check around at Advance Auto because they are an AC DELCO distributor (autozone isn't) and DELCO is OE for GM. But if you can't find one new, you might have to go scavenging.

spl explorer
12-20-09, 11:44 PM
So how hard is it to replace the governor? Does it really sound that this is the source to my problem? If it is and changing it isnt easy im thinking of having it towed to AAMCO... What do you guys think? I just really hate for anyone else to touch my caddi being that its on hydraulics and I just finished up all the body work.

sven914
12-21-09, 12:02 AM
I've never changed a governor, but it sounds easy to change (I gave you the entire service procedure in two sentences).

But honestly, AAMCO or another transmission shop would be the best bet. I'm 95% sure there is something wrong with your governor, but if I'm wrong they will be able to professionally diagnose your problem and fix it properly. And I understand about not wanting them to mess up your new paint or suspension, but corporately owned garages carry a lot of insurance to protect customer assets.

spl explorer
01-14-10, 08:23 PM

Hey is this what your talking about or what the hell is it? Its a little above where the speed-o-meeter cable enters the tranny. PLZ HELP

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee130/spl_explorer/IMG_1045.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee130/spl_explorer/IMG_1048.jpg

Also im trying to replace the rear tranny seal and it is in there pretty good. Any tips on how to get it out?

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee130/spl_explorer/IMG_1044.jpg

sven914
01-14-10, 09:49 PM
The Cadillac Service manuals aren't the best and don't give explicit details... I found a web site (www.bmracing.com/bmracing/installation_instruction/9500357-03.pdf) that actually shows where the governor is and it is in the pan (last time I was under the car/in the transmission I wasn't looking for the governor). But when you get in the pan, you just take off the 4 bolts and the governor should come out. When it's out you have to check for a worn bore, plugged oil passages, chipped teeth on the drive gear, and the free movement of the governor weights. Retighten the cover bolts to 18lb-ft.

For the rear seal, you need a seal puller (you can get them cheap at any parts store). To install the new one you need to get a rubber hammer and tap in evenly around the circumference. Before the install clean the area well and apply a bead of sealant around the opening.

spl explorer
01-14-10, 09:52 PM
Never mind. We got the seal out.

But what is the open hole on the transmission thats in the pix? Looks as if im missing something... maybe why she wont shift out of first...?

csbuckn
01-15-10, 11:12 AM
Looks to be a brass plug with a piece to make sure it doesnt come out, mine is the same way and I dont think anything is supposed to be there.

spl explorer
01-16-10, 11:54 PM
So I pulled this from the governor today. Do you think this is what is causing my problems?

Besides the junk yard does anyone know where I can get one?

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee130/spl_explorer/IMG_1073.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee130/spl_explorer/IMG_1074.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee130/spl_explorer/IMG_1075.jpg

sven914
01-17-10, 01:37 AM
Yeah that looks like a problem...

The only place I can find that has the drive gear is Rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1027101,parttype,7860) and you will have to wait 12 days for shipping. Autozone doesn't list the gear, but being that it's an AC DELCO part, you might be able to get it from Advance Auto, or another DELCO distributor.

spl explorer
01-17-10, 03:35 PM
Ok so im going to buy the part from Rockauto but the title says "GEAR,GOV DRV w/3-SPD A/TRANS(M40); W/PINS-REMAN"

Isnt the TMH200-4R a 4 speed tranny?

sven914
01-17-10, 05:46 PM
Yeah, but that might be a typo. Check advance Auto to see if the part number is different (they might be a little cheaper too).

spl explorer
01-17-10, 06:08 PM
Yeah, but that might be a typo. Check advance Auto to see if the part number is different (they might be a little cheaper too).

Nothing at Advance Auto with that part number. But on RockAuto here is the pic to what they have and its totaly different then mine...

http://images.wrenchead.com/smartpages/partinfo_resize/DUS/8679989.jpg

spl explorer
01-17-10, 07:02 PM
Found this online and is EXACTLY what happened to the caddi. Speed-o-meter when crazy when it happened

"TRANSMISSION GOVERNOR GEAR
Lets say your having a great day driving along in your GMC and you look at
your speedometer needle and its setting on '0'' you think the speed cable is
broken. The first time you slow down you find the transmission will not shift
out of first gear! Don't panic! or call a wrecker, or a transmission shop.
All you need is a little plastic nylon type gear called a governor gear."

http://gmcmotorhome.info/transmission.html

So unless I cant get the correct one online im going to have to go to all the wreckers and pull off the pans and get this peace. What a hassle but at least I wont need a rebuild. :D

spl explorer
01-27-10, 11:09 PM
Ok so today was good and bad. After 2 weeks today was a sunny day so I went out after work to get this problem solved. I put a new governor drive gear in along with a filter. I bought and added a 4 Quart jug of tranny fluid and a bottle of Lucas transmission treatment.

I drove the car up and down the street but it STILL would not shift. The speed-o-meter works now, witch it hasn't the minuet all this happened. So I parked it and checked the dip stick and there was no fluid on it. I called it a night. Its dark now and cold.

So im hoping that its just not shifting now because its low on fluid?!!!

I looking into where the govoner gear is and saw a couple metal gears that looked fine but I felt like a metal ring around the gear that I can move back and forth along the gear with my finger? It didn't feal chewed up or anything. What could it be? Should this not be there?

jayoldschool
01-27-10, 11:16 PM
So im hoping that its just not shifting now because its low on fluid?!!!

Sometimes it is the simplest thing. Yes, it won't shift if it is really low on fluid.

spl explorer
01-28-10, 07:48 PM
Well its nw full and its still not shifting! Damn it. I was hoping I wasn't going to need a tyranny rebuild but now I think its the only choice.

Shifting from park into one of the gears (1,2,3,D) I can feal it shift into that gear just fine. But as I drive it doesn't seem to shift up to the next gear...

spl explorer
01-28-10, 08:31 PM
Could this be a trottle valve cable problem? :banghead:

csbuckn
01-28-10, 10:08 PM
IDK, going back to your first page, trannys just dont go like yours did. Most times you would be able to feel the tranny go out over a period of time. I have a hard time trusting shops but maybe you should bring it in and see what they say. I would leave it in the car first so they can inspect the complete drivetrain and maybe find the clunking noise you hear. My tranny, same as yours, lasted til 170K and I lost reverse and it was slow to go into drive. Its possible that you could have a different problem that caused the tranny to go bad but driving down the street at 40MPH and all of a sudden it just goes out, doesnt sound like a complete rebuild yet. Probably not the TV cable but you can try messing with it. I would probably pure some more fluid in since that seemed to get some results before. Not overflowing but maybe a little more then "full" on the stick.

sven914
01-28-10, 10:13 PM
The TV cable not being connected will severely delay the 1-2 shift, but not prevent it.

When the cable is disconnected, the throttle valve goes to full pressure, which means it takes a huge amount of governor pressure to force a shift. The transmission would only shift if the engine was at red line; that would cause the governor to supply enough line pressure to overide the throttle valve.

It's worth checking into.

sven914
01-28-10, 10:15 PM
:bug:

spl explorer
01-28-10, 10:47 PM
I don't know to much about transmissions but I do know that from what has happened I would also think a rebuild is not needed. I'm just hesitant to bring it into a transmission shop and they say its 22 years old, rebuild it). I had just finished all the body work and was ready for it to go into paint but getting a new tranny would set me back!!!

Tomorrow im going to take the air filter out and look at the carb and see if the TV cable is disconnected or anything is off. I hope it is :thumbsup:

jayoldschool
01-28-10, 11:17 PM
When the cable is disconnected, the throttle valve goes to full pressure, which means it takes a huge amount of governor pressure to force a shift. The transmission would only shift if the engine was at red line; that would cause the governor to supply enough line pressure to overide the throttle valve.

The same is true for a vacuum operated trans like the TH350. When I changed an intake on my 71, the vacuum connection came loose at the trans. When I took the car out for test drive, it wouldn't shift. When I went full throttle, it shifted fine.

Take it out again, and see if it shifts at full throttle.

spl explorer
01-29-10, 02:57 PM
Ive looked around the carb and noticed the front butterfly port on the carb wont close properly. You have to jiggle the little hooks on the side for it to close all the way. Could this cause anything with the shifting of the tranny?

Also where does the throttle valve cable enter the transmission?

The day everything happened I cleaned the carb with carb cleaner. Then drove it to CVS around the corner. From there I drove about 6 miles when all this happened... Maybe carb related?

A local transmission shop quoted me 1700-1800 for rebuild and labor.

I just don't see cruising at 35-40mph and this suddenly happening out of no ware be from a toasted tranny.

spl explorer
02-13-10, 03:47 AM
Today I cut open the old filter and found about 8-10 dime size, paper thin flakes. I took it to a local tyranny shop and the guy said the tyranny is gone and that there from the clutches. You guys think its gone or is he trying to get my business?

sven914
02-13-10, 04:19 PM
It sounds like your worse case scenario has been realized; the intermediate band is dead. The flakes could be the friction material from the clutch packs or the material that make the band apply. Either way, the transmission needs to be disassembled to find the cause of your problem.

spl explorer
02-14-10, 01:20 AM
Sometime this week im going to pull the tyranny out and take it to AAMCO. They said they will inspect the insides for free if I carry the tyranny in. Would be nice if they can fix it by replacing a part and not rebuilding the entire thing. Gotta get this finished so I can get the car painted and ready for summer!