: 97 sls shifting problem

Taspeed
11-26-09, 02:01 AM
Ok. I'm about frustrated with this thing. I don't claim to be a transmission man either. Typically i can troubleshoot anything mechanical or electrical, but this one has me irritated to say the least. It tossed a couple of shift solenoid codes a while back so i replaced both of those. Filled er up and took it down the road. put about 30 or 40 miles on it and everything seemed fine. However, shortly after that it quit shifting again. Couple of days later I dropped the pan again to make sure the solenoids were plugged in good, but found the side pan plug stuck to the magnet. So i hunted and found the hole and plugged it back up. Filled it back up. This time it shows full at 10qts...i thought i drained more than that the first time...closer to 15 or so. Not 100% sure though. My pan may have had some fluid in it before i started. Now it is still doing the same thing. Sometimes i'll get a few miles down the road before it quits shifting, and i can shut it down and let it sit for a minute, fire it up and its fine for a little bit. Still keeps throwing the same codes. What else could be causing this? i really dont think its the solenoids unless they were bad when i bought them. Could the tcc solenoid cause it?

I'll probably go out and autotap it on friday again and do some logging, but aside from shift times and probably line pressure issues i'm not sure where to really start looking. Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ranger
11-26-09, 12:55 PM
No, the TCC solenoid has nothing to do with shifting. If you ran it with the side cover plug removed, then the side cover had no fluid in it. I wonder if that could have damaged something. I don't claim to know much about automatic transmissions either. They're PFM to me.

zonie77
11-26-09, 01:42 PM
Did you use a in/lb torque wrench on the valve body? It's very easy to overtighten the bolts and cause valve problems.

Taspeed
11-26-09, 01:55 PM
i did use an in/lbs torque wrench,but i don't know how out of calibration it is. It could be off quite a bit as i rarely use and its been moved around in the garage a lot.

Taspeed
11-26-09, 01:58 PM
No, the TCC solenoid has nothing to do with shifting. If you ran it with the side cover plug removed, then the side cover had no fluid in it. I wonder if that could have damaged something. I don't claim to know much about automatic transmissions either. They're PFM to me.

it had fluid in it because I checked the fluid while it was running and it showed full right before i pulled the pan down the second time. I think the sump pulls the fluid up there while its running, but may have air in it as the plug would leave an air hole from the bottom, and i would guess that it could suck what air is in the lower pan out.