: Knocking noise in front end going over bumps

Heath
11-26-09, 01:19 AM
I have a knocking noise in the front end going over and bump other than a very mild one. The dealer loosened up the struts and turned the bushings around and tightened them down and said it was fixed. I drove it around the lot and saw it wasnt, then they tried to say it was "normal and in spec". It isnt handling funny or anything, its just making a repeative knock when traveling over a good sized bump. It reminds me of the issue GM trucks and SUVs had for years and years with the steering shaft. It sounds like its in the drivers side front and its quite loud and embarrasing. Im not going to go taking the car apart myself especially since its under warranty, but also because at this point I cant see myself owning it much longer. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

canezino
11-26-09, 02:34 AM
other than that have you enjoyed the STS ? or have you had other problems ?

do you recomend it ?

Heath
11-26-09, 03:51 AM
I was born into a GM family and have driven GM vehicles for most of my adolescent and early adult life until I figured out that GM vehicles were not the be all end all of domestic vehicle quality. I since have owned many many domestic and foreign vehicles, and I can tell you that dollar for dollar GM has built very poor quality vehicles overall for many years now. They are only second in my opinion to Chrysler, and both their current economic statures only goes to prove that point. GMs vehicles overall I feel are overpriced, meaning that you do not get the level of vehicle you pay for. IF GM vehicles were about 30% less expensive than they currently are I would venture to say that would be a fair asking price for them. Does anyone else build perfect cars or have perfect service? No. But I fell like in my experience Ford does a much better job, love em or hate em. I have tried to keep a GM vehicle in my stable for most of my life, with very little good experiences to show for the effort, and this car has been no different. It is a beautiful machine, fun to drive in every sense. Its quiet, fast, handles well, gets descent mileage, has descent room, some neat features, and so on, but so far the good has not outweighed the bad by any means. As for the "value" I guess what you can get a used one for is in line with the true "value" of the car. what does the fact that it was 80K new two years ago, and that they can be had still in factory warranty now for high 20s tell you? In a free market prices will adjust to their value, and when a vehicle is used IMO its fetching price is a much better representation of its true value than what an overbloated manufacturer ask for it new. Considering what a used one goes for and the level of quality and features you get I fell like a STS-V should have cost about 50K or so new. If this one got totalled I would never buy another one, even though Im not exactly sorry I bought it. Even though I had to wait for for weeks for a headlight, window gasket, thermostat, and wheel repair for the paint peeling from the wheels. Oh did I mention I have owned it for just a couple of months and it has been in the shop for 37 days total. And did I forget to mention that it still has to go back for issues that the dealer couldnt put on the ticket in one trip because they said GM wouldnt pay for it even though they are warranty issues. Once again Im in the position of saying this is the last GM vehicle I will own, although I have been saying that since the past 4 GM vehicles. This time I feel more concrete. They can no longer get away with getting by on having the most HP in their line cars and trucks (which they soon no longer will) or making some special edition halo vehicle to get their loyalists blood pumping. From now on to get their lost business back I think they will have to do something much harder for them to do. Build a good product that people want. Rant off.

csf
11-26-09, 02:27 PM
I was born into a GM family and have driven GM vehicles for most of my adolescent and early adult life until I figured out that GM vehicles were not the be all end all of domestic vehicle quality. I since have owned many many domestic and foreign vehicles, and I can tell you that dollar for dollar GM has built very poor quality vehicles overall for many years now. They are only second in my opinion to Chrysler, and both their current economic statures only goes to prove that point. GMs vehicles overall I feel are overpriced, meaning that you do not get the level of vehicle you pay for. IF GM vehicles were about 30% less expensive than they currently are I would venture to say that would be a fair asking price for them. Does anyone else build perfect cars or have perfect service? No. But I fell like in my experience Ford does a much better job, love em or hate em. I have tried to keep a GM vehicle in my stable for most of my life, with very little good experiences to show for the effort, and this car has been no different. It is a beautiful machine, fun to drive in every sense. Its quiet, fast, handles well, gets descent mileage, has descent room, some neat features, and so on, but so far the good has not outweighed the bad by any means. As for the "value" I guess what you can get a used one for is in line with the true "value" of the car. what does the fact that it was 80K new two years ago, and that they can be had still in factory warranty now for high 20s tell you? In a free market prices will adjust to their value, and when a vehicle is used IMO its fetching price is a much better representation of its true value than what an overbloated manufacturer ask for it new. Considering what a used one goes for and the level of quality and features you get I fell like a STS-V should have cost about 50K or so new. If this one got totalled I would never buy another one, even though Im not exactly sorry I bought it. Even though I had to wait for for weeks for a headlight, window gasket, thermostat, and wheel repair for the paint peeling from the wheels. Oh did I mention I have owned it for just a couple of months and it has been in the shop for 37 days total. And did I forget to mention that it still has to go back for issues that the dealer couldnt put on the ticket in one trip because they said GM wouldnt pay for it even though they are warranty issues. Once again Im in the position of saying this is the last GM vehicle I will own, although I have been saying that since the past 4 GM vehicles. This time I feel more concrete. They can no longer get away with getting by on having the most HP in their line cars and trucks (which they soon no longer will) or making some special edition halo vehicle to get their loyalists blood pumping. From now on to get their lost business back I think they will have to do something much harder for them to do. Build a good product that people want. Rant off.

Wow. Not to hijack this thread, but that is quite a post. I am 50 years old, and have also owned many vehicles, both foreign and domestic. Briefly, after owning some outstanding Japanese vehicles (like an Acura Legend) and several fun but unreliable, expensive European cars, I returned to a domestic when I bought a 2003 GMC Envoy. That SUV ran so well I then bought a Pontiac GTO from the same dealer which has been trouble free for 40,000 miles. Now I am considering trading the GTO for an immaculate GM certified 07 STS-V with only 19,000 miles for $31,925 - my third GM in a row after over 20 years of imports except for a 1995 Taurus SHO.

Heath, obviously the depreciation is crazy - but all the $80,000 sedans seem similar - where I live an 06 BMW 750 is $32,000 also. Audi A8 and Mercedes and Infiniti are the same. Only Lexus seems to hold more value. Honestly, I think most sedans in that price are leased as business expenses and then resold for way below MSRP.

I had never seen an STS-V until this one was put up for sale at our local Lexus store. Honestly, I am tired of all the cars on the market today, from all the manufacturers. - they seem to be all different sizes of the same basic design, all stuffed with same technology. Nothing stands out, no passion or soul. Even Porsche 911's, Boxsters and Caymans all look the same. When I saw this platinum STS-V I was stunned - beautiful lines, kind of masculine, clearly not a regular Cadillac, rare, apparently some passion in its design. I really like it. And obviously, with the state of GM and the government's goals, the days of a 470 hp sedan are probably gone for a long time, if not forever.

I have not committed to the STS-V yet but planned to do so this weekend - just trying to sort out some winter/all season tires. My Dad has had Cadillacs for years and they seem fine. I've never had one and never planned to until now. Is this car really that bad? Should I just go buy the same Acura RL, Lexus GS 350 or Infiniti M35x that all my friends have bought? I'm really on the fence now. Craig

jedhead
11-26-09, 03:38 PM
I spent months shopping before I bought my STS-V this past August. I did not start of even considering a STS-V. I was shopping E55 AMG, C55 AMG, M3, M5, M45 etc. My focus was on RWD performance sedans with V8's. I drove all the previously mentioned cars along with 2010 SHO, 300C SRT8, and the G8 GXP. I saw a CTS-V at a Cadillac dealership and thought I would give one try. I tested both the 2007 CTS-V and the 2009 CTS-V. I really liked the 09 CTS-V, but the price was a little high. Then I spotted a STS-V and test drove it. I fell in love with the car. Not quite the performance of the CTS-V, but seemed to be more luxurious and felt rather special. I have put 9000 miles on my STS-V since August and no problems (I work from home so no commute miles). I tore up every mountain road in SoCal with it. I am still waiting for my replacement ashtray, but other than that no problems or issues with the car so far. I get compliments everywhere I go and the car does not look everything else on the road. MB, BMW and Lexus is so common around here they pretty much go unnoticed. I still haven't seen another STS-V on the road yet although I have notice a few STS with the mesh grill. If you are a little concerned then get one that is certified to get the extended warranty. My original purchase date for my one owner certified was Jan 2007. The factory warranty goes until Jan 2012 or 50000 miles and the certified which is a pretty much bumper to bumper warranty will kick in when the factory warranty expires until Jan 2013 or 100k miles. Another plus for me was that the insurance on the STS-V is about half of the insurance on my 2003 Honda Accord with a 4!

Bob

canezino
11-26-09, 03:52 PM
what ins. company ?

Im really close to pulling the trigger on a 25k miles sts-v for 27K.... I cant believe people actually paid 75k for these, thats nuts

Heath
11-26-09, 09:50 PM
Mine stickered for 77K. I also looked at the euro cars (Ms AMGs etc..) this go round but the only thing that didnt have that uber euro feel was the Rover Sport and I couldnt find a used one with low miles in my price range without crossing the country to get it.

PGA2B
11-26-09, 11:55 PM
I have a knocking noise in the front end going over and bump other than a very mild one. The dealer loosened up the struts and turned the bushings around and tightened them down and said it was fixed. I drove it around the lot and saw it wasnt, then they tried to say it was "normal and in spec". It isnt handling funny or anything, its just making a repeative knock when traveling over a good sized bump. It reminds me of the issue GM trucks and SUVs had for years and years with the steering shaft. It sounds like its in the drivers side front and its quite loud and embarrasing. Im not going to go taking the car apart myself especially since its under warranty, but also because at this point I cant see myself owning it much longer. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Have them check the front anti-swaybar bushings and endlinks;).

Heath
11-28-09, 03:45 AM
They said they did, but Ill check them myself. Thanks!

jedhead
11-28-09, 01:12 PM
what ins. company ?

Im really close to pulling the trigger on a 25k miles sts-v for 27K.... I cant believe people actually paid 75k for these, thats nuts

Met Life.

Bob

jedhead
11-28-09, 01:12 PM
Could be the bearings on the top of the strut mount are shot.

Bob

CIWS
11-28-09, 08:30 PM
I cant believe people actually paid 75k for these, thats nuts

Can you believe people paid 180K+ for a 2006 CL65 ?

http://www.carclassifiedsbystate.com/15/2006/mercedes-benz/cl-class/cl65-amg/old-saybrook/227252391/113/index.html

Guy.Seminerio
07-24-14, 11:16 PM
I'm getting what I think is bump steer. When I go over bumps I can feel my steering wheel vibrate and can actually hear a noise coming from the actual rim of the steering wheel if the radio is off.

<25k miles but I'm on the d3 springs. Could the springs have caused the shocks to go early?

I'm guessing check everything on the front end and if nothing is obvious, replace shocks.

Does this make sense or should I change my approach here? Anybody know for a fact what tends to go wrong with this car when there is bump steer?

ChurchSTSV
07-25-14, 12:48 AM
Holy back from the dead thread!

Guy.Seminerio
07-25-14, 12:55 AM
It's what I do.

----------

Hey it shows I did a search!

TimmyC
07-25-14, 01:09 AM
I'm getting what I think is bump steer. When I go over bumps I can feel my steering wheel vibrate and can actually hear a noise coming from the actual rim of the steering wheel if the radio is off.

<25k miles but I'm on the d3 springs. Could the springs have caused the shocks to go early?

I'm guessing check everything on the front end and if nothing is obvious, replace shocks.

Does this make sense or should I change my approach here? Anybody know for a fact what tends to go wrong with this car when there is bump steer?

Shocks are very likely toast. Mine has been lowered for around the same amount of time and both my front shocks were junk. I bought the kybs on amazon for $100 each and the clunking from the front and rear are almost all gone.

The spacers in the rear shocks keep them in their stock operating range and mitigated the damage the front ones experienced. Rears are still good.

Guy.Seminerio
07-25-14, 01:36 AM
Alright thanks Tim. Based on this thread,

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/250286-front-sts-v-shock-replacement-kyb.html

This is the one I found:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001C4EPOK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1406262803&sr=8-1

Is that right?

Any comments on the kyb vs oem or basically no real difference?

TimmyC
07-25-14, 01:41 AM
That's right.

Feels is same as stock. I can't tell the difference. No use going with OEM if they are only going to last 25k anyway.

Guy.Seminerio
07-25-14, 01:59 PM
Makes sense. Ok I'm gonna check everything else out down there and then buy these. Thanks.

Guy.Seminerio
08-26-14, 08:56 PM
Everything seems ok down there. Shocks it is. By the way I also noticed slightly accelerated wear on the outer edge of the front tires. So right edge of passenger front tire and left edge of driver front tire. Rears are fine. Could this be related to the shocks? I always thought shocks would wear the inner edges.

It's also very possible that it's time for another alignment now that the d3 springs have settled some more.

Please advise.

jasonp12
08-26-14, 09:06 PM
Everything seems ok down there. Shocks it is. By the way I also noticed slightly accelerated wear on the outer edge of the front tires. So right edge of passenger front tire and left edge of driver front tire. Rears are fine. Could this be related to the shocks? I always thought shocks would wear the inner edges.

It's also very possible that it's time for another alignment now that the d3 springs have settled some more.

Please advise.

I had the same wear on my fronts. Just the outside edges. I bought new tires, and I had the alignment checked along with all the suspension and everything checked good. So we will see if the new tires wear as bad. Im hoping not.

Im hoping it was just my driving habits