: Found a 78 Phaeton I want to buy, but It's been modified....

TWasArroundHere
11-25-09, 10:22 AM
Hey all....... I'm a longtime member, but I never usually post. I've been looking for a 78 or 79 DeVille for awhile now, and I think I finally found one that is a good value- especiayl for a Phaeton!

But- and theres allways a but- the guy whos selling it seems to have healvly modified it. I'm basicly wondering, after you guys read the description, if this is somthing that will cost allot of time and money to turn back to orignal- or as close as I can get to original?

Also, I'm not too sure about all the engine Mods he did it it- worth keeping, or change back?

I provided a link to the Criagslist post, and copied his discreption here below.

Thanks!

http://reading.craigslist.org/cto/1467788601.html

I have a rare Phaeton Series Coupe DeVille for sale. The Phaeton's have the cloth top that goes all the way to the windshield. The top is a nice dark blue color. The car is painted Diamond Pearl White EXACTLY same paint as the new Escalades (DuPont). There is a few spots just starting to rust, but no holes and the underside is nearly perfect. The car has been in Cali most of its life and my grandfather is the original owner. The plastic panels near the tail lamps are cracked and looks like crap. The engine is BigBlock 425 that has about 2500miles on it. The original block was bored .020 and rebuilt with new pistons, but the original rods and crank were turned and reused. The heads are rebuilt with stronger valves and way better springs and retainers (updated aftermarket style). The cams are aftermarket with a better lift and duration than stock and helps the car with a little more power to spin the huge 20" wheels. The car runs great, but would gain about 40 horsepower with a 750cfm carb to match the cams (it currently has the stock 650cfm carb). The radiator has a brand new core and works great. The starter was just replaced about 700 miles ago and was a new rebuild from AutoZone. The transmission is bulletproof and works AWSOME!!! The trunk has a speaker box built in under the rear deck lid. It has openings for 2-12's and 1-15" and is dynamat and polyfilled. The subs were removed and sold a long time ago. The interior needs some work but is a great start for anyone looking to put in a big TV. There is a opening in the center of the dash thats ready for a 15" widescreen. The trim pieces on the dash were painted the same as the outside of the car. The floor carpet looks ugly and is a powder blue color. The seats are white leather and need to be reupholstered, but are not torn up too bad.

This car would be an excellent winter project because the frame is straight as an arrow, very few body repair spots and basically only needs the interior finished. There is not a better old school platform to start with than this.

Lazarus_Rooney
11-25-09, 10:37 AM
looks like a pretty good starting point to me. if the engine mods are done well, then more horsepower is never a bad thing. the wheels arent terrible, but proper cadillac wire rims with whitewalls would look a lot better..... i dont know how fussy you are about origionality, but to me this looks like a brilliant starting point. personally id keep the speakers in the trunk just for the hell of it, and id take the owners advice and put a bigger carb.

csbuckn
11-25-09, 10:45 AM
I would sell the rims to get all the interior parts you need, then take a good look at the motor to make sure he knows what he was doing. Speaker box is optional, there is some math involved with running 3 subs on one amp. 1500 is borderline for me, especially if he's been spinning the tires. Also, a 15" hole in the dash makes me think the stereo, climate control, vents and mirror control are gone.

TWasArroundHere
11-25-09, 10:57 AM
Yea if I turn it back to original, I'd want to turn it back to complete stock- at least cosmenticly. If the engine work is good, then I'll keep it. My 84 Coupe is bone stock- and thats the way I like em!
I never considered the 15 inch would take out the climate control and miriors too.

outsider
11-25-09, 11:25 AM
I'd go for it and just redo the interior to stock...speaker box in the back could easilly be removed if needed or just leave it there.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-25-09, 11:39 AM
I actually like the rims on that car. I would go for it. The only thing in the description I don't like is the hole mentioned in the dash. As for the cam, it sounds like it is just a mild cam so the engine should still run normally, not like it's cammed.

jayoldschool
11-25-09, 11:59 AM
If it has been painted, and is rusting again, it will never stop. Pass.

outsider
11-25-09, 12:34 PM
Oh, and I have a set of those same rims...

warning: they tend to leak. I posted a link on how to repair them if they do leak in another thread. The one about wire wheels missing spokes

77CDV
11-25-09, 01:28 PM
Run, Simba. Run far, far away. Fast. This thing is a clusterf**k waiting to happen.

sven914
11-25-09, 03:13 PM
From what I've seen, Phaeton's are very desirable and don't come cheap. This one is only $1,500 and everything is reversible. You can take off those rims and sell them to help with the restoration, which at this point that car needs. In perfect, restored condition, I've seen Phaeton's go for $5,000-10,000 which probably is going to be in the ball park of the final bill after all of the repairs.

AElayyat
11-26-09, 12:57 PM
I'd go for it, try to work the price down a bit though. I would personally keep the rims & get some subs for the box. I would also get the windows tinted...good luck.

TWasArroundHere
11-27-09, 07:44 AM
I called the guy and hes going to be in town next week, so I figure I'm going to go see it then. If I buy it, the rims are going no matter what- I personally hate rims. I'm going to get a pair of Steeles and hubcaps, if I can find them. Everything else, I'll probably leave and restore if very slowly, removing what I dont like, keeping what I do. The 425 Big Block he put in- is that comparable to what the car came with stock, or is that a much larger engine thats going to get like 2 miles to a gallon?

Angry Matt
11-27-09, 09:30 AM
The car came with a 425, he just modified it, which imo if he did it right is good. I would at least go look at it, sounds like the only real project is replacing the dash, depending on what it looks like. If I don't have a set of steelys and hub caps I have friends that do, and I'm right down the road.

sven914
11-27-09, 07:51 PM
If I buy it, the rims are going no matter what- I personally hate rims. I'm going to get a pair of Steeles and hubcaps, if I can find them.

They used the same steel wheels until 1989 (but they must be from a Rear Wheel Drive). De Ville hubcaps come up on eBay all the time, and they're usually pretty cheap.

greencadillacmatt
11-27-09, 10:37 PM
I'd go for it. That sounds like a great deal on a solid jumping-on point for a resto. The interior shouldn't be that hard to put back together, and if the engine mods are legitimate, well, I'd be sold. Who doesn't want a Phaeton that can haul...

TWasArroundHere
11-28-09, 12:14 AM
I'd go for it. That sounds like a great deal on a solid jumping-on point for a resto. The interior shouldn't be that hard to put back together, and if the engine mods are legitimate, well, I'd be sold. Who doesn't want a Phaeton that can haul...

Thats pretty much what I'm thinking....... when the guy gets back in town, I'm gonna go see it Wednesday or Tuesday. If I can get him to take a grand cash for it, I'll buy it.

Ill let you guys know how it works out.

DopeStar 156
11-29-09, 01:00 AM
I called the guy and hes going to be in town next week, so I figure I'm going to go see it then. If I buy it, the rims are going no matter what- I personally hate rims. I'm going to get a pair of Steeles and hubcaps, if I can find them.

I have a couple locking wire hubcaps from my '76 sitting in my basement that aren't in bad shape. If you end up getting the car and want them let me know, we'll work something out.....

CLASS OF 77
11-29-09, 09:43 PM
Hey all....... I'm a longtime member, but I never usually post. I've been looking for a 78 or 79 DeVille for awhile now, and I think I finally found one that is a good value- especiayl for a Phaeton!

But- and theres allways a but- the guy whos selling it seems to have healvly modified it. I'm basicly wondering, after you guys read the description, if this is somthing that will cost allot of time and money to turn back to orignal- or as close as I can get to original?

Also, I'm not too sure about all the engine Mods he did it it- worth keeping, or change back?

I provided a link to the Criagslist post, and copied his discreption here below.

Thanks!

I have a rare Phaeton Series Coupe DeVille for sale. The Phaeton's have the cloth top that goes all the way to the windshield. The top is a nice dark blue color. The car is painted Diamond Pearl White EXACTLY same paint as the new Escalades (DuPont). There is a few spots just starting to rust, but no holes and the underside is nearly perfect. The car has been in Cali most of its life and my grandfather is the original owner. The plastic panels near the tail lamps are cracked and looks like crap. The engine is BigBlock 425 that has about 2500miles on it. The original block was bored .020 and rebuilt with new pistons, but the original rods and crank were turned and reused. The heads are rebuilt with stronger valves and way better springs and retainers (updated aftermarket style). The cams are aftermarket with a better lift and duration than stock and helps the car with a little more power to spin the huge 20" wheels. The car runs great, but would gain about 40 horsepower with a 750cfm carb to match the cams (it currently has the stock 650cfm carb). The radiator has a brand new core and works great. The starter was just replaced about 700 miles ago and was a new rebuild from AutoZone. The transmission is bulletproof and works AWSOME!!! The trunk has a speaker box built in under the rear deck lid. It has openings for 2-12's and 1-15" and is dynamat and polyfilled. The subs were removed and sold a long time ago. The interior needs some work but is a great start for anyone looking to put in a big TV. There is a opening in the center of the dash thats ready for a 15" widescreen. The trim pieces on the dash were painted the same as the outside of the car. The floor carpet looks ugly and is a powder blue color. The seats are white leather and need to be reupholstered, but are not torn up too bad.

This car would be an excellent winter project because the frame is straight as an arrow, very few body repair spots and basically only needs the interior finished. There is not a better old school platform to start with than this.

In my humble opinion, you can find one in real good condition and skip all the headaches. I figure you can find a decent one for $3500 to $7000 and you wont have to make all those repairs. I think you will be better off in the long run. Thats my 2 cents.That car will nickle and dime you to death!

CLASS OF 77
11-29-09, 10:00 PM

Thanks!

This guy wants around 3 grand for this one...He also is letting it go with the original tires and wheels, hubcaps...Im sure He will let go cheaper!

some inerior pics It has new lights in the rear now I made these with some emblems off a 74 eldo
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll87/cheeknic/100_0833.jpg

Also it doesn't have the orange marker lights I got some clear ones off a 77 and they are fresh and clear not the faded frosty white lookin junkyard lights (this pic still has the orange ones on.)

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll87/cheeknic/100_0814.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll87/cheeknic/100_0812.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll87/cheeknic/100_0651.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll87/cheeknic/100_0673.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll87/cheeknic/100_0674.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll87/cheeknic/100_0675.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll87/cheeknic/100_0676.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll87/cheeknic/100_0679.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll87/cheeknic/100_0678.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll87/cheeknic/100_0650.jpg

TWasArroundHere
11-30-09, 09:38 AM
Wow. Where is that located?

77CDV
11-30-09, 11:03 PM
Looks like somewhere in Idaho from the licence plate.

TWasArroundHere
12-01-09, 09:38 AM
haha oh well. Can't buy that.

CLASS OF 77
12-02-09, 05:46 PM
http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=241503&st=860

here is the link to the car on a lowrider forum

Bro-Ham
12-02-09, 08:43 PM
beautiful car!!! :)

TWasArroundHere
12-03-09, 09:48 AM
Update- I checked the car out, and decided to pass. It was going to require wayyyyyyyyyy more work then I was comfortable doing, and he would not come down on the price, not even a cent. So, oh well....

77CDV
12-04-09, 01:42 AM
You're better off, dude. Lots better cars out there for that price.

CLASS OF 77
12-05-09, 10:18 AM
Update- I checked the car out, and decided to pass. It was going to require wayyyyyyyyyy more work then I was comfortable doing, and he would not come down on the price, not even a cent. So, oh well....

There is a really nice one on flea bay right now....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-DeVille-1979-Cadillac-Phaeton_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45efb5dbb2QQite mZ300374416306QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

I wish I had room, I would buy it!

77CDV
12-05-09, 04:42 PM
Decent car, worth maybe 4K. Dual tone accent stripes are trick!