: Wheels compatible with wheel covers?

MudAnt
11-24-09, 11:33 PM
I just bought some snow tires and I need a set of wheels to put them on. I'm probably going to go to a junkyard and pick some up, but I was wondering what wheels are compatible with the wire wheel covers in case they don't have any 80-89 FWBs.

And while I'm on the subject, are the wheel covers supposed to snap into place and hold on their own, without the lock bolt? Mine always seem to fall off until I've threaded the lock bolt on.

Thanks

sven914
11-24-09, 11:49 PM
I'm pretty sure Cadillac used the same rims from 1970-92. I know at least '76 wheels are the same, because I have a set of '76 Seville Hubcaps on my factory wheels. Also they have to be off a Rear Wheel Drive, so no Eldo wheels.

And the wire wheels are not supposed to hang on by themselves. They rely solely on the lock nut to keep them in place.

MudAnt
11-25-09, 01:30 AM
Thanks, that's just the info I needed!

1980coupe
11-25-09, 02:04 AM
I just bought some snow tires and I need a set of wheels to put them on. I'm probably going to go to a junkyard and pick some up, but I was wondering what wheels are compatible with the wire wheel covers in case they don't have any 80-89 FWBs.

And while I'm on the subject, are the wheel covers supposed to snap into place and hold on their own, without the lock bolt? Mine always seem to fall off until I've threaded the lock bolt on.

Thanks

My wheel covers hang on by themselves and they won't fall off; not even while drving. It has two locks on the outer edge, once wheel cover is on, I lock them in place. You must have a different style; cadillac crest emblem has to be removed to get to threaded lock, or do you have the later versions used on some Broughams with the red center cap that pops off? I had these before and these do not hold on until you threaded the lock onto the cap that is bolted through the lug nuts on the wheel.

outsider
11-25-09, 09:05 AM
Mine require the lock nut as well...which is pretty cool because it makes them compatible with any 15" rim with the same (or similar) lug pattern. as long as you can get that mounting thing on there

sven914
11-25-09, 02:52 PM
Mine require the lock nut as well...which is pretty cool because it makes them compatible with any 15" rim with the same (or similar) lug pattern. as long as you can get that mounting thing on there

Ford rims will mount to our cars. I use one off a '70's Continental as a full sized spare.

outsider
11-25-09, 03:13 PM
good to know. I was actually researching and trying to figure out the lug pattern to see what else would work :D

drmenard
11-25-09, 05:57 PM
The 91-92 FB wheels have a different offset than earlier wheels... about a 1/2 inch. Its best not to mix the two offsets..