: HELP! Headlights went out on 78 Phaeton

78Phaeton
11-24-09, 06:45 PM
So I flew out to Cincinati to pick up my new Phaeton. Drove the car 7 hours home to Memphis and she didn't miss a beat. The car only had 24,000 miles on her when I picked her up, and is in pretty close to perfect shape. The tan paint and choclate top melt my heart everytime i see her. It's dark by the time I get home and the headlights are working fine. I start searching around to see how to turn on the high beams. Click for the footswitch and nothing is there, try to turn the headlight switch itself and nothing happens...then I notice headlights are off. They haven't worked since. Someone has removed the footswith and taped up the loose wires, The tailights, brakelights and amber running lights work fine but no headlights. What could be wrong? I replaced the dash switch but have not replaced the footswith yet. I'm thinking maybe a relay or something but I am no good with electrical stuff and figured this would be the best place to get me on the right track.

csbuckn
11-24-09, 09:01 PM
I would check the fuse then go after the footswitch. I would think the footswitch would complete a circuit and needs to be connected. Maybe the taped up footswitch wires came loose when you went to step on it.

1980coupe
11-24-09, 11:12 PM
So I flew out to Cincinati to pick up my new Phaeton. Drove the car 7 hours home to Memphis and she didn't miss a beat. The car only had 24,000 miles on her when I picked her up, and is in pretty close to perfect shape. The tan paint and choclate top melt my heart everytime i see her. It's dark by the time I get home and the headlights are working fine. I start searching around to see how to turn on the high beams. Click for the footswitch and nothing is there, try to turn the headlight switch itself and nothing happens...then I notice headlights are off. They haven't worked since. Someone has removed the footswith and taped up the loose wires, The tailights, brakelights and amber running lights work fine but no headlights. What could be wrong? I replaced the dash switch but have not replaced the footswith yet. I'm thinking maybe a relay or something but I am no good with electrical stuff and figured this would be the best place to get me on the right track.
I'm confused...you say first headlights are working fine (so I assume they are on already) the you say (try to turn on headlight switch) why would you do that if they are already on, or you thought they were on because without that switch I would think no lights would come on.
Maybe the footswitch fell in and it's still there, are the wires cut and not lead to anywhere? On my moms 78 coupe her lights stopped working both low and high beam. Where the footswitch is I pulled back on the carpet and there you should see a 3 wire connector (yellow, tan, green) I had to replace this connector as the wires leading into it caused it to fuse together so I couldn't seperate them. This was the problem on her caddy and presto lights work again. I got the replacement from her other caddy coupe (79) which sadly is becoming a donor to her current car, the 78. Hope this helps.
Post up some pics, I would love to see your car and pics of the interior as well, it should be the same color as mine, Saddle.

1980coupe
11-25-09, 12:00 AM
Also, if you don't have time to fix, you can do a temporary fix to it. I believe the green wire is the low beam wire extend the length of this wire by tapping into it, then get yourself another wire that you may have laying around or go to a local autoparts store and tap that wire into a hot wire. Touch the two ends together and your lights come on. Or connect the two ends to a toggle switch and you got yourself lights till you can get a replacement footswitch.
I did the exact same thing on a 80 FWB Coupe I owned years ago and works fine!

cadillac_al
11-25-09, 08:58 AM
What kind of idiot would remove the high low beam switch? When my switch was acting up the headlights would go out. That is always scary at night going 50-60 mph. First thing to do is to buy another foot switch.

77CDV
11-25-09, 01:43 PM
Sounds like you burned through a fusible link. It happend to my '77 once. Parking lights worked, but no low/high beams. The fusible link runs along the passenger side valve cover and if the insulation breaks down, the heat from the engine will melt it, causing the lights to go out.