: SHO Forum

TSS
11-24-09, 12:57 PM
I have searched and cannot find a decent Ford forum that discusses the 2010 SHO. I drove one last week and it was quite impressive. I have never owned a Ford before, but am seriously considering buying one of these.

Anybody know of a good Ford/SHO forum where I can get some more information? Or, anybody here have a 2010 SHO?

Thanks in advance.

Todd

Stingroo
11-24-09, 02:03 PM
It's probably too new. How was it? That car looks interesting to me, personally. But I don't think I'd be an early adopter, even if I had the funds.

TSS
11-24-09, 02:45 PM
For starters, I am GM proponent and GM helps to support my City. Admittedly, Ford and GM both help support my State. Point is, I never pictured myself owning a Ford or praising a Ford. With that said:

Ford got this thing right. Top notch interior and interior feel. The materials feel soft where they should be soft, substantial where they should feel substantial. In fact, a lot like our 01 SLS that we have had since it was two years old. NOT like my Lade, which although I absolutely love it, cannot believe some of the interior cheapness.

The interior design is also inspiring. It a a really big car, but inside it feels spacious yet sporty, which seems like an oxy-moron. But, it works! The rear seat is larger than my Lade, and feels larger than my father-in laws 01 DTS. The car is really wide (76 or 77 inches I think??)

Perfect power delivery to AWD with nil twin turbo lag. Magazines have rated it between 4.8-5.2 seconds 0-60. It is a SMOOTH powertrain - not raucus or harsh under hard acceleration. Braking is excellent (the one I drove had optional brake upgrades). On the highway, it is quiet and composed.

The SYNC system, voice recognition, bluetooth, IPOD ports, etc work like they should.

Loaded as I want it with sunroof/cooled seats/rearview camera/upgraded SONY sound system (no NAV) I can grab it for around 38K delivered is my best guess. Tons of standard equipment like HIDs/rear backup sensors/heated seats/19" rims/pushbutton start/suade seat inserts etc.

It was a pure joy to drive. The ultimate sleeper. Those looking for attention from the opposite sex or admirers at the gas station need not apply. It looks like a new Taurus and only those who know, will recognize it as an SHO. It does not grab your attention like a new CTS-V. Problem with the V for me is that I need AWD and something bigger than a CTS.

I know this write up sucks. But I was only behind the wheel for a short period of time. Hence, I am trying to gather more information from a Ford Forum!

Submariner409
11-24-09, 02:53 PM
Even the 90's SHO line was impressive. Karen and I went through 3 various 90's Taurus (Taurii ?) models and all were dead nuts reliable. There's a '92 SHO near us that is still going strong on the original Yamaha DOHC and transmission - at 185,000. The F-150 ^^^ is our 4th Ford truck and all 4 of them are/were also reliable, repair-free and comfortable. The only thing that has been done to this 2004 F-150 in 67,000 miles is normal maintenance, fluids, and one set of tires and brake pads.

jedhead
11-24-09, 03:42 PM
I still have my 1991 SHO. I thought about the 2010 SHO, but I just wanted a V8. I love the sound of a V8 and wanted rear wheel drive. I would go to the SHO Forum for information on the SHO. Some of quickest new SHO and mods are talked about there.

http://www.shoforum.com/index.php

Bob

thebigjimsho
11-24-09, 04:05 PM
I still have my 1991 SHO. I thought about the 2010 SHO, but I just wanted a V8. I love the sound of a V8 and wanted rear wheel drive. I would go to the SHO Forum for information on the SHO. Some of quickest new SHO and mods are talked about there.

http://www.shoforum.com/index.php

Bob
hmm...

V-Eight
11-24-09, 05:08 PM
If you can swing it, go for a V

eyekandyboats.inc
11-24-09, 05:25 PM
i agree

hmm...

yeah look into maybe a 1 or 2 year old V they are decently priced.

CIWS
11-24-09, 06:51 PM
Not enough HP for its weight, and brakes are just normal. But if a similar platform was what I needed, I'd take a serious look at the Lincoln MKS with Ecoboost and AWD.

TSS
11-24-09, 07:41 PM
This is not a financially motivated choice. The new CTS - V is simply too small and I need AWD. The STS-4 with the N* is the closest I can come. I drove the Lincoln too. The SHO interior is much more sporty and driver oriented. And, even though the Lincoln only has 10 HP less, it does not feel nearly as spirited. An STS-4-V...now that would be something.

Thanks for the SHO link. I had checked that out - just cannot seem to find a Ford forum comparable to this one.

the recluse
11-24-09, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the SHO link. I had checked that out - just cannot seem to find a Ford forum comparable to this one.

If it took Ford this long to get a car right, imagine what it would take them to get a forum right :D

Seriously though, my dad had a Ford van with a 351 W in it. It was built by a Ford racer who set it up to tow his car trailer from event to event. That thing could pull down a house and keep up with a 10 sec drag car for the first 50 to 75 feet. :lildevil:

c5 rv
11-24-09, 08:55 PM
I'm overdue in taking a test drive in an ecoboost MKS and SHO. I'm concerned about the reliability of the all-new twin turbo ecoboost engine, though. I'm also not thrilled with the styling of the new Taurus. I actually liked the traditional styling of last years model.

Todd, I can recommend an excellent dealer and salesperson. One of my clients got fed up with the lack of response from the Lansing area FLM dealers when he was shopping for a replacement for his Jeep last year. I hooked him up with Brian Mylin at Krug in Howell and he leased an Explorer from them.

thebigjimsho
11-24-09, 08:58 PM
If it took Ford this long to get a car right, imagine what it would take them to get a forum right :D

Now, now. The www.shoforum.com is one of the best forums around...

bjv
11-25-09, 01:49 AM
I considered the 010 SHO, but circumstances worked out for me to get an 07 CTS-V.

In summer 1991 I bought a new 1990 SHO. I kept it for 14 years and 156k miles. My wife wanted me to get a newer car so I looked around and bought a used 1997 SHO. I drove it to 135k miles then started looking around and found a 1998 SHO with 50k miles on it and bought it.

I liked all of my SHO's and they all worked well for me. I like my new V also. It has some of the good features of the SHO but amplified a bit, and adds serious muscle of its own.

CIWS
11-25-09, 07:09 AM
I drove the Lincoln too. The SHO interior is much more sporty and driver oriented. And, even though the Lincoln only has 10 HP less, it does not feel nearly as spirited.

This doesn't surprise me as the Lincoln would be a more refined vehicle for a driver more interested in luxury and comfort. After all they don't produce Lincoln commercials outrunning motorcycles. (cough)

If the SHO meets your needs and you can work a decent deal, go get that puppy. :)

c5 rv
11-25-09, 04:17 PM
I had a chance at lunch today to test drive the MKS w/ ecoboost. The engine was definitely what that car needed. I could be poking along in traffic at 30-40, have traffic open up, and reach 60 with no fanfare. The test car had 20" wheels, which made for a bit of a harsh ride and the build quality needed some work. (poor fit and finish of interior joints and door seals) The rear view was quite restrictive and the rear window was so far back it reminded me of my old SRX.

With Z plan (my BIL is a Ford hourly retiree) and $4K in current incentives, I could get a base AWD MKS w/ecoboost for a bit over $40K plus tax, etc. With just the ultimate package, the price jumps to about $43.2K.

The car may be back on my list, but not at the top. I have another 5 months to make up my mind.

TSS
11-25-09, 05:08 PM
1. I stand corrected, that is a good forum. I somehow overlooked it in my search .
THANKS !

2. Greg, thanks for the referral to Howell.

3. I have several months here to make a decision , but will keep those interested updated.

4. If GM had not discontinued the Impala SS, I would have been interested in that too. Actually a G8 AWD would have been even better. Oh well. Only a few AMERICAN cars out there which would work for me. MUST be AMERICAN.

Am I missing any other large American performance
sedan, AWD or FWD?

TSS
11-25-09, 05:12 PM
Greg, did you check out the SHO too? I looked at both and truly liked the Ford better . Man, I wish I could get you prices! No BIL of any help to me.

c5 rv
11-25-09, 05:30 PM
From reviewing the Ford website, the SHO won't work for us because the suede seat inserts would make wheelchair transfers tough. The MKS Ultimate has only a thin suede strip in the middle of the seat (and all the other goodies). Being an old fart, I also prefer wood rather than metal trim on the dashboard. (Which, BTW, the MKS is still pretty skimpy on.)

Other cars that may merit looking at:

- Buick Lucerne Super / CXS
- Buick LaCrosse
- DTS Performance (you knew I'd mention that one)
- STS AWD
- Chrysler 300C

orconn
11-25-09, 05:48 PM
From reviewing the Ford website, the SHO won't work for us because the suede seat inserts would make wheelchair transfers tough. The MKS Ultimate has only a thin suede strip in the middle of the seat (and all the other goodies). Being an old fart, I also prefer wood rather than metal trim on the dashboard. (Which, BTW, the MKS is still pretty skimpy on.)

Other cars that may merit looking at:

- Buick Lucerne Super / CXS
- Buick LaCrosse
- DTS Performance (you knew I'd mention that one)
- STS AWD
- Chrysler 300C

Would a fleece or leather seat cover make wheel chair to seat transfer any easier?

Submariner409
11-25-09, 07:02 PM
FWIW, My Mom was 88 when she quit driving, and she had 2 artificial hips, so she wasn't playing tennis any more. She bought a Subaru Forester (correct height) and it came with velour seats: No good - not slick enough. The dealer did a leather seat retro for her and all was well - not covers - the whole seat. She could slide in easily. (My younger sister still has the car - a 1999 Forester with 13,000 miles on it !)

c5 rv
11-25-09, 07:48 PM
Would a fleece or leather seat cover make wheel chair to seat transfer any easier?

Another good idea. We use a hospital pad that is slick on one side and provides added seat protection. It makes it possible for her to get into my truck which has cloth seats. On leather seats, she and the pad can shift together. For this car, the primary vehicle I'll use for her, smooth leather that is heated (for her) and cooled (for me) is my first choice.