: Correct way to time 4.1L 1984 coupe deville

nfakbc
11-23-09, 11:07 PM
As stated in the title, I'm looking for the correct way to time my ignition on my 1984 4.1l coupe deville.

Alldata tells me to first press the off/high button on my climate control then press the instant/average button until .9.5 displays on the climate control screen. Alldata says the timing should be set at 20+/- 2BTDC.

A service manual I have (not a factory manual) wants me to bridge A wire and B wire on the diagnostic plug underneath the dash and then set the timing to 10BTDC.

A buddy who works on Cadillacs told me to do nothing special to time the car, just set it at 10 degrees and call it good.

Are any of those methods the correct way to set timing and if not what exactly should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jayoldschool
11-23-09, 11:30 PM
I will check the FSM for you and post the proper procedure tomorrow after work. Alldata is probably correct (I believe they get their info from the FSM).

nfakbc
11-24-09, 02:12 PM
Sounds good, thank you.

BRICKS
11-24-09, 10:55 PM
ive adjusted mine along with tps and distributor. never heard of using the climate control to set timing. ill have to look into that.

jayoldschool
11-24-09, 11:29 PM
I have to pick up the 84 FSM at mom's place. I didn't have it here. I'll get back to you...