: 87 Brougham dies going into gear on cold starts

spl explorer
11-23-09, 09:34 PM
1st off the car runs fine. But recently on cold mornings or nights ill go to start it after it has been sitting over night or even just a few hours wile the outside temp is lower then 50 degrees it dies as soon as I put it into gear. It will start up fine and idle fine but when I put it in gear it will start to sputter and die. After a few trys ill step on the gas before it has a chance to die and everything will be fine wile driving and the motor is warm… It does seem to idle a little low...

Carb problem…?

:thepan:

brougham
11-23-09, 10:09 PM
It could just need to be adjusted a bit.

drmenard
11-23-09, 10:13 PM
My first guess would be your choke is not working right... could be the linkage is sticking.. I would get a can of carb cleaner and spray down the outside and all the linkage arms and make sure every thing is free..

spl explorer
11-24-09, 12:39 AM
My first guess would be your choke is not working right... could be the linkage is sticking.. I would get a can of carb cleaner and spray down the outside and all the linkage arms and make sure every thing is free..

A family member suggested that to me also...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-24-09, 11:50 AM
Yep, clean the carb.

spl explorer
11-26-09, 04:52 PM
Thanks guys. Cleaned the carb and it runs like a champ

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-26-09, 07:22 PM
Nice

TWasArroundHere
11-27-09, 11:58 AM
I'm having the same problem with my 84 DeVille.......... where is the carb located on the engine?

Slacker
11-27-09, 12:30 PM
I'm having the same problem with my 84 DeVille.......... where is the carb located on the engine?

'84 deville should be the HT4100 which is TBI so it's not a carb per say. It will be between the intake manifold and the air cleaner.

As far as I know, it's not recommended to use carb cleaner on fuel injected cars. You should be able to buy some fuel injector cleaner instead.

The idle on the 4100 is computer controlled so it also might be a sensor.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-27-09, 03:40 PM
Pour a bottle of STP fuel system cleaner into a few tanks of gas and run it on premium (which you should be doing anyway) for a while. Take some carb cleaner and clean the butterfly valve and the throttle body.